Shimano Aldebaran BFS XG Limited ci4

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
gbell1577
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Shimano Aldebaran BFS XG Limited ci4

Post by gbell1577 » Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:23 am

Looking for my first BFS reel for ned rigging pretty good sized largemouth bass.

Would this reel be recommended for that?

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Shimano Aldebaran BFS XG Limited ci4

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:36 am

I'd go with the current model. Handles wind much better and casts great.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:29 pm

gbell1577 wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:23 am
Looking for my first BFS reel for ned rigging pretty good sized largemouth bass.

I would also agree to go with the newer model. I will say though that the Aldebaran (probably the older one mentioned too) is more capable of much lighter lures than mentioned. I use my 2022 Aldebaran BFS for exactly what you mentioned, NED rigs, small swimbaits, dropshots, etc. It seems to handle the lures fine, but for me a regular finesse reel could probably do the same with more versatility. I just feel I waste a lot of the light lure potential using a BFS reel on a ML rod, when a Curado 70 MGL or other finesse casting reel would possibly work better.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:49 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:29 pm
gbell1577 wrote:

I would also agree to go with the newer model. I will say though that the Aldebaran (probably the older one mentioned too) is more capable of much lighter lures than mentioned. I use my 2022 Aldebaran BFS for exactly what you mentioned, NED rigs, small swimbaits, dropshots, etc. It seems to handle the lures fine, but for me a regular finesse reel could probably do the same with more versatility. I just feel I waste a lot of the light lure potential using a BFS reel on a ML rod, when a Curado 70 MGL or other finesse casting reel would possibly work better.
I agree to a point. I do find BFS reels do really shine pitching and short range compared to a 70 sized reel. Flat out casts covering water, not a huge difference when you have lures like Ned rigs and such. The wind control with the FTB braking system the 22 Aldebaran uses is better in the wind that any brakes that a 70 sized or the older BFS reels from Shimano has.

I have always wanted a 70 or 50 sized Shimano with the FTB...finesse plastics dream.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:27 am

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:49 am
DirtyD64 wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:29 pm
gbell1577 wrote:

I agree to a point. I do find BFS reels do really shine pitching and short range compared to a 70 sized reel. Flat out casts covering water, not a huge difference when you have lures like Ned rigs and such. The wind control with the FTB braking system the 22 Aldebaran uses is better in the wind that any brakes that a 70 sized or the older BFS reels from Shimano has.

I have always wanted a 70 or 50 sized Shimano with the FTB...finesse plastics dream.
Yeah we have had that talk about FTB in a general reel. I should have been more clear in that capacity was my main concern for using BFS for general finesse. My Aldebaran holds enough 7lb Invisible Sniper (a thicker fluoro), but if I get the last 20yards scarred up fighting a fish in or close to cover, then capacity will be an issue with 1/8 or especially 3/16. If I was running 10lb or less braid, I'm sure I could cut a few 20 yard sections off before needing a respool. Using fluorocarbon, I am one mistake away from having to respool.