Chronarch 100D7 Noise

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Chronarch 100D7 Noise

Post by godshippy » Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:14 pm

I've torn this reel apart multiple times...replaced all the bearings inside except the anti-reverse bearing. I've removed the anti-reverse ratchet...I've used some thicker grease, thinner grease, oil, you name it.

But I can't get rid of this noise and I'm beginning to think it's just worn main gear or pinion gear...maybe even both?

Help please!

Video that includes the noise below:

https://vimeo.com/904627934?share=copy

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Chronarch 100D7 Noise

Post by iabass8 » Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:48 pm

It’s really hard to hear much in the video but it sounds alot play in the pinion and spool shaft pin. Put a little grease on the spool pin tips and see if that helps the noise.

I had a very similar issue on a daiwa 50th. The pinion was not being fully seated through the bearing cause the spool pin to make a ratcheting noise on the pinion gear. Pinion bearing was the culprit.

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:07 pm

iabass8 wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:48 pm
It’s really hard to hear much in the video but it sounds alot play in the pinion and spool shaft pin. Put a little grease on the spool pin tips and see if that helps the noise.

I had a very similar issue on a daiwa 50th. The pinion was not being fully seated through the bearing cause the spool pin to make a ratcheting noise on the pinion gear. Pinion bearing was the culprit.
Just put a dab of grease on each spool pin and it didn't quiet the reel down :(

I thought it might have been the pinion bearing; so I went ahead and replaced it with a new one and the noise is still there :/

I'm thinking maybe the pinion gear itself is worn?

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by iabass8 » Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:48 pm

Could be gears but again, very hard to tell. I can barely hear much sound in the video. The sound I do hear though sounds pretty rough retrieve wise.

Was thinking it could be the pinion slots could be worn but adding grease to the spool pin is what stops that temporarily.

The rattling really is reminiscent of spool pin/gear knock not being seated or a bent spool shaft. Pretty easy to narrow down the sound though. Remove the handle side plate and attached the handle to the drive shaft. Put pressure on the pinion and slowly reel. You’ll find the noise area.

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:02 am

iabass8 wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:48 pm
Could be gears but again, very hard to tell. I can barely hear much sound in the video. The sound I do hear though sounds pretty rough retrieve wise.

Was thinking it could be the pinion slots could be worn but adding grease to the spool pin is what stops that temporarily.

The rattling really is reminiscent of spool pin/gear knock not being seated or a bent spool shaft. Pretty easy to narrow down the sound though. Remove the handle side plate and attached the handle to the drive shaft. Put pressure on the pinion and slowly reel. You’ll find the noise area.
Thanks for taking the time—I really appreciate it.

I was able to find gear sets from Tackle Trap and ordered a few. After swapping spools and listening to the reel with the spool out—I’m pretty sure it’s the pinion gear is too loose and causing the noise.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:21 pm

Do the video again but put your thumb on the spool with light pressure while winding and go from slow to fast and back to slow again if it makes sense.

My D7 also has a weird raspy feeling and noise that I can either put down to the friction access control keyway lock on the left hand side of the spool where there are a couple of corrosion spots through the hard chrome plating and the little weights hanging off the spool interact and make noise, or it's the anti reverse bearing that's making the noise through the metal side plate into the frame which accentuates it?

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:29 pm

Slazmo wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:21 pm
Do the video again but put your thumb on the spool with light pressure while winding and go from slow to fast and back to slow again if it makes sense.

My D7 also has a weird raspy feeling and noise that I can either put down to the friction access control keyway lock on the left hand side of the spool where there are a couple of corrosion spots through the hard chrome plating and the little weights hanging off the spool interact and make noise, or it's the anti reverse bearing that's making the noise through the metal side plate into the frame which accentuates it?
So I took another Chronarch that I have that doesn't make the noise and swapped spools and the noisy one still makes noise with the spool. I took the noisy reel's spool and put it into the quiet one and it doesn't make any noise. So I've eliminated the spool.

With the spools out, if I turn the handle on the good one--it has a very slight rattle, but it's still pretty tight.

The noisy reel with the spool out is noticeably louder when turning the handle and it feels like there's more play in the pinion gear.

I don't think it's the anti-reverse bearing because you can feel a vibration on the underside of the reel where the main gear and pinion gear are. I'm thinking it's just a worn pinion bearing--but I don't want to take 2 reels apart and swap the pinion gear since I already ordered 3 gear sets from Tackle Trap hahaha.

If, after replacing the gear set I still have the noise, then I'm going to order some anti-reverse bearings and give that a go.

At that point--nearly everything except for the clutch assembly would have been replaced; so hopefully it gets rid of the noise.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:35 am

Hmm. I'll have to measure the ID of the lower pinion bearing vs the OD of the pinion lower where it makes contact, see what's the slop.

Otherwise if it is that - I'll have to sweat some silver onto the surface as we don't have any available gear sets in Australia and ordering from OS is cost prohibitive for such an old reel (albeit awesome reel).

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:07 am

It sounds like gears to me as best as I can hear in your video. Typically the pinion bearing will make a different noise if it is bad. When you have the reel apart you can simply rotate that bearing in your finger and feel if it is rough.

Noises can be difficult to diagnose even over a video. Much easier if the reel is in my hands, but I suspect the gears are at fault. Replace them if you have a set. Replace the gears as a set. Do not just replace the pinion gear or drive gear. Ensure the drive gear is properly greased with ACE 2 (one half of the teeth). Make sure the yoke is installed correctly also. I have seen people install them upside down and it causes other issues and noises.

Remove any grease from the spool pin. Sorry guys but that is bad info with our reels. The grease will fly off once you cast anyways then you are left with grease on the spool or pinion gear which will slow down your cast. You want the spool shaft and center of the pinion gear clean of grease and oil for best performance.

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:45 pm

Bantam1 wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:07 am
It sounds like gears to me as best as I can hear in your video. Typically the pinion bearing will make a different noise if it is bad. When you have the reel apart you can simply rotate that bearing in your finger and feel if it is rough.

Noises can be difficult to diagnose even over a video. Much easier if the reel is in my hands, but I suspect the gears are at fault. Replace them if you have a set. Replace the gears as a set. Do not just replace the pinion gear or drive gear. Ensure the drive gear is properly greased with ACE 2 (one half of the teeth). Make sure the yoke is installed correctly also. I have seen people install them upside down and it causes other issues and noises.

Remove any grease from the spool pin. Sorry guys but that is bad info with our reels. The grease will fly off once you cast anyways then you are left with grease on the spool or pinion gear which will slow down your cast. You want the spool shaft and center of the pinion gear clean of grease and oil for best performance.
Thanks for the tip! I should get the gear sets here by the end of the week and follow your instructions on replacing the whole set and lightly greasing.

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by iabass8 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:31 pm

Bantam1 wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:07 am

Interesting…most of the new reels (primarily daiwa-and especially so with the boost spools) have had a slit dap of grease on the spool pin tips or a light coat witness mark of some sort. Even the 2 bantam A i got a couple years ago had a small dap on the spool pin. I’ve been adding a dab or krytox without an issue after noticing it with stock or upgraded bearings.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:24 am

The grease from the factory reels is mostly to protect parts in transit because they travel via ship to our ports. They do what they can to protect all the parts from any possibility of corrosion. You would be surprised how much of a difference it can make just to clean the spool shaft and center of the pinion for casting performance. Any oil or grease on those locations act like a magnet for dirt, grime or whatever is picked up in the water or in transit. When a reel seems to be lagging in casting performance after some use simply clean the spool and pinion and it will come back or exceed what the reel could originally do.

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:08 am

Just to update--I did get the gear set replaced. Replaced main gear, pinion gear, drag washers, and key washer.

A lot of the rattling noise has gone away, but it is still pretty noisy. The only thing I can think of at this point is a worn yoke or AR bearing--but the reel is definitely tighter than it was previously; so I'm going to chalk this one up as done.

It's a 14 year old reel--definitely isn't going to be quiet like my newer Curado 150 MGLs, but definitely a worthy fix for me.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:24 pm

Is there line on the spool? Put your thumb on the spool to give a little load and see if the noise is still there.

If the spool is empty and you are throwing the handle there can be a little sound which is normal. Also make sure the cast control knob is set to eliminate any side to side play on the spool in the frame. This can also cause noise.

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:11 am

Yes, there is line on the spool, and the cast control cap is set so that there is no side to side play. If I tighten down the cast control knob, then it will make the sound a little deeper.

If I put my thumb on the line and reel the noise is still present and sounds like it's coming from the pinion gear/ yoke area.