14/15 Calcutta Conquest 200 clutch bearing removal

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
HellaBread
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

14/15 Calcutta Conquest 200 clutch bearing removal

Post by HellaBread » Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:42 am

Anyone got any good ideas on how to get this thing out. As it stands the opening is only wide enough so that the biggest socket I can use to push/tap it out will only push the plastic cage out of the bearing housing leaving it stuck in the sideplate. This is a first for me.

HellaBread
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: 14/15 Calcutta Conquest 200 clutch bearing removal

Post by HellaBread » Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:03 am

related question, would a “bad” roller clutch cause noise. Bad in quotations because aside from the sound and feel it’s still functioning normally, no slipping, locks up perfectly without excess play, etc. Swapped every bearing on this reel just to make sure and when I turn the gears while it’s open it feels and sounds fine but the second it’s assembled with the sideplate i get this noise that sounds almost like rubbing on retrieve right around the area of the roller clutch. Hard to describe but it makes a “shasha-shasha-shasha” noise as you turn the handle with a slight bit of vibration/roughness. Only thing I can think it would be is the roller clutch or the gearset itself since the bearings are now out of the equation but gearset looks fine and feels fine when turned with the reel disassembled. Sound persists even without a spool so it’s not that. aside from the noise and feel the reel is functioning 100% normally

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:14 am

The bearing is pressed into the side plate and not east to get out. Usually it requires a delicate beating with a modified flat blade screw driver and a hammer, or the use of a good blind bearing puller.

Usually they will only cause noise if there was corrosion in the bearing. It is very rare for them to be loud if the bearing is in good shape and not slipping. Make sure it is properly lubricated. It is rare for that bearing to cause noise problems.

Typically noise will come from the gears or the pinion bearings in the Conquest. Some noise is "normal" but hard to diagnose over the forum.

HellaBread
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by HellaBread » Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:33 am

Bantam1 wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:14 am
The bearing is pressed into the side plate and not east to get out. Usually it requires a delicate beating with a modified flat blade screw driver and a hammer, or the use of a good blind bearing puller.

Usually they will only cause noise if there was corrosion in the bearing. It is very rare for them to be loud if the bearing is in good shape and not slipping. Make sure it is properly lubricated. It is rare for that bearing to cause noise problems.

Typically noise will come from the gears or the pinion bearings in the Conquest. Some noise is "normal" but hard to diagnose over the forum.
This is abnormally loud compared to the rest of my conquests, it’s an hg so i already expected more noise than normal but this isn’t a normal amount, I suspect it’s gears then I figured if the ARB is bad then I’d have a lot bigger issues than just noise but figured I’d give it a shot anyway. thanks for the help.