Chibi Gantarel Deadrise

Come share your passion, experiences, and questions for the latest fishing craze to take the Nation... you asked for it, and here it is.. TT's SWIMBAIT FORUM!
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Chibi Gantarel Deadrise

Post by LowRange » Sun Dec 25, 2022 11:14 am

https://youtu.be/P4e2uHzI6-w
Anyone got to fish these yet? I saw them on ichi when I was buying some random plastics and added one to my cart. Got the order in today. Its basically a chibi Gantarel or Gantarel Jr with the front hook on the side of the body and the bait swims on its side at an angle like an injured bluegill then floats to lay flat on the water. Seems ideal for a slow presentation near cover. I know some guys catch big fish doing this with Gantarels and Vatalion 190s.
https://youtu.be/jwwl2IYQXc4
Most of my big baiting is done around cover with short accurate casts so this is right up my alley. I also get most of my Gantarel fish when the bait is rising near the surface or just floating. One of my favorite plastics is a 110 Gilly that will swim near the surface on its side of semi-upright like a bluegill or crappie struggling to maintain posture as it dies. A lot of anglers hate that bait and find ways to "fix" to make it swim upright which I think is a mistake. I catch way too many fish on that lure and this is like a hard bait floating version so I had to get one. One thing to note is that the line tie does not have a swivel but the hooks do.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Chibi Gantarel Deadrise

Post by LowRange » Mon Dec 26, 2022 7:40 pm

Actually the front hook hanger is a screwed in. I can unscrew it by hand. Not sure how to feel about this. It's a niche bait anyways but that threaded front hanger is a disappointment. I'll have to keep an eye on it. Hook up ratios are bad as you would expect based on this pike fishing video but its still a cool bait. You can see it used for pike by a guy who doesn't know how to palm a fishing reel.
https://youtu.be/WW7mo3lfv0k
Last edited by LowRange on Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Slary
Angler
Angler

Post by Slary » Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:10 am

Very nice looking lures. And what I saw, looks like swimming a attractive way.
But like we see from linked video, a little difficult to hook a fish. O
Is it because a tall figure of lure, or is it only because he didn't palm the reel? :shock:

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:39 am

Slary wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:10 am
Very nice looking lures. And what I saw, looks like swimming a attractive way.
But like we see from linked video, a little difficult to hook a fish. O
Is it because a tall figure of lure, or is it only because he didn't palm the reel? :shock:
I think the position of the hooks on the body are the culprit. It also could be the way pike strike vs a bass that inhales a bait head 1st. I think pike where swiping at it and he has reacting. The small rear treble and the bony mouths of the pike were probably the issue. I'm going to use mine a lot next season. Its like a floating hard bait Berkley Gilly. A bait that floats up on its side instead of sinking on its side.

Berkley Gilly
https://youtu.be/njSUSNGpLvo

Slary
Angler
Angler

Post by Slary » Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:57 am

LowRange wrote:
Mon Dec 26, 2022 7:40 pm
You can see it used for pike by a guy who doesn't know how to palm a fishing reel.
What you mean..how do you know, that man don't know how to palm a reel?
Maybe he just don't find any advantages, in pike fishing..

Personally, palming grip, I have not found enough advantages for fishing at all. It only makes for me, one extra change of hold between throw and reeling.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:29 am

Low profile bass reels are such new for us European Pike Fishermen and therefore most of us doesn't yet know how to palm reel correctly. I think it's because of that 'Pro Pike Fishermen' in here has started pike fishing before there wasn't low profile bass reels, which are designed for palming, and those Pro's hasn't changed practice when changing to bass reels, and youngsters who follow those Pros, they doesn't learn to correctly palm baitcaster. I think it would be different story if we would have bass in Europe, and also Bass Pro's who to follow.
Last edited by jvelth74 on Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Slary
Angler
Angler

Post by Slary » Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:50 am

One thing is superclear, palming grip is not good for throwing. Distance nor accuracy.

I don't know what I miss, when I fish a pike, by normal grip from rod.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:12 am

Slary wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:57 am
LowRange wrote:
You can see it used for pike by a guy who doesn't know how to palm a fishing reel.

Personally, palming grip, I have not found enough advantages for fishing at all. It only makes for me, one extra change of hold between throw and reeling.
It's something that is beaten in to US anglers when we 1st use them. You are considered doing it wrong if you don't palm the reel. Sort of like fishing a spinning reel upside-down. From a fishing stand point it does move the mass of the reel into the hand instead of having it in front which improves rod balance and fatigue of your wrists. It also helps to fight the torque of the top mounted guides from twisting the rod in your hand when fighting a fish.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:18 am

Slary wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:50 am
One thing is superclear, palming grip is not good for throwing. Distance nor accuracy.

I don't know what I miss, when I fish a pike, by normal grip from rod.
Oh yeah you can cast while palming although this is very uncommon in the US. We mostly cast while holding the rod then switch to a plaming grip when fishing. There is also a high preference for right hand reels and this casting technique does allow for hand swapping to occur. The Japanese use left hand reels with a palming while casting technique a lot I notice from videos of Japanese baits. Something I watch a lot of this time of year. I use this with my lefty reels for accurate target casting but prefer a right hand reel and a standard US casting technique for moving baits and long casting.
Last edited by LowRange on Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:24 am

Benefits in palming grip, in my opinion:

1) Better grip than just only from rod
2) Sturdier grip for reeling
3) Better rod balance
4) Fisherman receives more information (feels better)
5) Less fatigue in muscles and in wrist

True that palming grip is not meant for casting, but it can be casted also that way. But change from casting grip to palming grip is good in my opinion, because changes in grip means less fatigue than keeping single unchangeable grip, which means more enjoyable fishing and probably more fishes.

In Pike fishing I use usually heavy tackle, and heavy reel and heavy rod kills most information received from rod, most information is received from cranking reel, and therefore heavy tackle are Right Hand reels in my arsenal, so I cast by right hand and crank by right hand, then changing hands is actually easier by taking palming grip.
LowRange wrote:
:D Tue :D

Slary
Angler
Angler

Post by Slary » Sat Dec 31, 2022 9:34 am

LowRange wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:12 am
Slary wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:57 am
LowRange wrote:

It's something that is beaten in to US anglers when we 1st use them. You are considered doing it wrong if you don't palm the reel. Sort of like fishing a spinning reel upside-down. From a fishing stand point it does move the mass of the reel into the hand instead of having it in front which improves rod balance and fatigue of your wrists. It also helps to fight the torque of the top mounted guides from twisting the rod in your hand when fighting a fish.

I think, you are kidding me...about fighting the torque of the top mounted guides from twisting the rod in your hand when fighting a fish. :lol:

When good pike hits the lure, I like to have a good grip from rod. Palming grip in my opinion is not very good grip from rod.
I understand, people using palming grip for light-weight fishing. More effortless to make small lures swimming personal way. But in pike fishing, nothing is so delicate.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:18 am

Another video showcasing the action.

https://youtu.be/huRYruOVnQg