1 more swimbait question from a newbie

Come share your passion, experiences, and questions for the latest fishing craze to take the Nation... you asked for it, and here it is.. TT's SWIMBAIT FORUM!
Cpark
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

1 more swimbait question from a newbie

Post by Cpark » Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:19 pm

I had asked a question about which swimbaits you guys would suggest for a smaller swimbait and got some good suggestions. Swimbaits are kind of hard to find right now but what I've come up with, or got ordered, all will be here next week, are some 5 and 6 inch basstrix paddle tails, some california swimbabes tiny e, and weighted baby e's, and I'm also going to order a couple of the mat lures ultimate bluegills this weekend as soon as I find a place that for sure has them in stock. My question is, out of these baits, which will be the best for fishing deeper water. I'm expecting to find the fish in anywhere from 8-20 foot. So which of these baits, if any, will I be able to effectively fish those depths, and which would be the best for the job? I know this is a pretty stupid question, but I'm completely new to swimbaits, and the manufacturers don't give much info on rigging and effective depths, lure weights, or anything like that on many of the baits. So I'm hoping some of you with experience on these baits might clue me in to what depths each lure I have ordered is effective at targeting.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Lightninrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: 1 more swimbait question from a newbie

Post by Lightninrod » Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:02 pm

I would get some(the "3-for" deal is best-found on his site) of Matt's Baby Bass(1.4 ozs) instead of his Bluegills(2+ ozs) if and until you get an Extra Heavy rod as the BBs weigh a lot less and can be thrown with a Heavy or some Medium Heavy rods.

As for what depth you can fish; Matt's baits(soft-plastic ones) are molded around a lead jig rig and therefore, will fall to any depth you wish to fish. I rarely let mine fall below 7 or 8' as I have so many snags where I fish.

Good luck on your quest!

Dan

Cpark
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cpark » Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:15 pm

Thats something else I really didn't think about is the rod. Right now the heaviest rods I've got is 2 of the Daiwa Steez 7'1" Compile X Hvy Actions, and I've got a Loomis BCR854 GLX. I'll try to get by using one of those for right now till I see how the swimbaits are going to work around here. If it works and its something I'm going to start doing a lot of I'll buy a heavier rod if needed. The only reels I use are the Chronarch MG50's and they will either have to work or else. The ultimate bluegill will probably be pushing the limits of these rods. I've got to try one though. Bluegill are the primary bass food in most areas around here. Since the asian "jumping" carp have gotten into the river the shad are dissappearing. The baby bass do look good too. I may have to try some of those also. Thanks

Lightninrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Lightninrod » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:12 am

If your current rods won't handle casting the heavier Bluegills, consider just pitching the baits. I caught this 6 lber after pitching the bait to a laydown. She came right up through the limbs to snatch the bait before I could lift it out of the water. 8-) This 4 lber came from behind a stump to hit the pitched BB.

Dan

davej
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by davej » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:26 pm

Cpark.. what size rod and reel to you have now? (or plan on getting to throw these swimbaits in the 8-20ft range..

Cpark
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cpark » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:41 pm

Right now the heaviest rods I own are 2 of the 7'1" Hvy Steez, and a Loomis BCR854GLX. I'm pretty sure the Steez are rated for heavier lures, I'd have to look at the rods to be sure but I'm pretty sure they are rated from 1/4 to 1 1/2 ounce. I don't think the Loomis was rated that high. So I'd say I'll be trying one of the Steez to start with. The only reels I have are MG50 chronarchs. I hope I can get buy with those to at least find out if the bass will hit them. I don't want to tie up a bunch of money in a dedicated swimbait setup only to find out the fish don't want anything to do with them around here. I don't have a clue how my local fish will respond to that big a bait.

If I end up buying something bigger I don't have a clue what I'll get. I've never looked at anything bigger than what Ihave now.

davej
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by davej » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:56 pm

Cpark wrote:Right now the heaviest rods I own are 2 of the 7'1" Hvy Steez, and a Loomis BCR854GLX. I'm pretty sure the Steez are rated for heavier lures, I'd have to look at the rods to be sure but I'm pretty sure they are rated from 1/4 to 1 1/2 ounce. I don't think the Loomis was rated that high. So I'd say I'll be trying one of the Steez to start with. The only reels I have are MG50 chronarchs. I hope I can get buy with those to at least find out if the bass will hit them. I don't want to tie up a bunch of money in a dedicated swimbait setup only to find out the fish don't want anything to do with them around here. I don't have a clue how my local fish will respond to that big a bait.

If I end up buying something bigger I don't have a clue what I'll get. I've never looked at anything bigger than what Ihave now.
How about the mission fish in 6" for those 8-20ft fish? I'm not sure of the exact weight but I bet that 1.5oz rated rod should be able to throw them and maybe a fast sink 6" Triple Trout. both of those baits should be able to get down to those fish..

where are you located? So far the fish in NJ have been reacting well to swimbaits.. enough to where a bunch of us have invested in multiple swimbait rods, reels and baits..

Cpark
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cpark » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:14 am

Thats encouraging that NJ fish will eat them. I'm sure our fish in IL are at least that big. So if NJ fish will eat them I'm sure IL fish will too.