Mattlures Ultimate Gill...my goto swimbait!

Come share your passion, experiences, and questions for the latest fishing craze to take the Nation... you asked for it, and here it is.. TT's SWIMBAIT FORUM!
Shinerking
Angler
Angler

Mattlures Ultimate Gill...my goto swimbait!

Post by Shinerking » Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:58 pm

After really using this bait the past year I could not be happier with the results. This bait is incredible! I find that here in shallow south Jersey lakes this bait really shines. Wake the bait and LOOK OUT!!! The blowups are incredible!! I have caught many 5-6lb fish on this bait. The artwork to the action are top notch. Can't get enough of this bait.
Image[/img]

njvbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Mattlures Ultimate Gill...my goto swimbait!

Post by njvbass » Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:02 pm

It's been a while since I've pitched em' at the local dive. That Pumpkin seed kick azz.

davej
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by davej » Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:21 pm

I love that picture of the bait in that bucket mouth... What Rod, Reel and line are you using... what different retrieve techniques can you share with us? Do you ever use a stinger hook.. how are the hook up to landing ratios?

Those are all huge fish for Jersey... :clap:

TravisNY
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TravisNY » Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:41 pm

Is nothing sacred here in the northeast ? ;)

I am a big time fan of Matts gill' pattern as well and always have one rigged. I have thrown them since they were first introduced moons ago.

ps: big bronzeback take a liking to them as well.

Welcome aboard and well done.

regards, T
Team flannel, overtime and promotion.

Lubina
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Lubina » Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:14 am

Very nice pics.
I like it a lot too but I haven't have that good of a result.

Have you guys noticed any difference on the action of the classic Gill compared with the Ultimate ? I have a few of both and seems to me that the Ultimate doesn't move as much and I have cooked mine see if that was the problem and it doesn't change it at all. The tail design is different.

I have more and better fish with the regular Gill

davej
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by davej » Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:36 am

TravisNY wrote:
ps: big bronzeback take a liking to them as well.
T,

I'm interested in that.. how you are you targeting them with the Gill.. I would love to see some of your swimbait bronzeback reports and pics..

Thanks

DJ

Sully
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Sully » Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:56 pm

The most violent, vicious strikes I have ever encountered have come on them. I am a BELIEVER!

Another pic from that same day...

davej
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by davej » Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:13 pm

Sully wrote:The most violent, vicious strikes I have ever encountered have come on them. I am a BELIEVER!

Another pic from that same day...

Awesome Sully... Hell of a first post... Keep them comming =P~

Shinerking
Angler
Angler

Post by Shinerking » Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:26 pm

davej wrote:I love that picture of the bait in that bucket mouth... What Rod, Reel and line are you using... what different retrieve techniques can you share with us? Do you ever use a stinger hook.. how are the hook up to landing ratios?

Those are all huge fish for Jersey... :clap:
DJ, to answer your question, NO I do not use a stinger even though I am seriously contemplating it. I'm sorry I have put one on a gill but it is the trailer bait to the Optimum double buzzbait. It looks incredible and should help in the hook up ratio because the ratio is not the greatest probably connecting on 4 out of 10 blow ups (without the stinger). I almost always burn the bait just below the surface, this is where I get the majority of the action. I haven't had any luck running it deep. Has anyone?????

Lightninrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Lightninrod » Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:01 pm

Outstanding catches and Bait!!!

Dan

TravisNY
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TravisNY » Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:10 pm

Lubina I am with you I have not touched anything but the original. I first started tinkering with them slightly after they first became available and have had no reason to change. Now I will say that I don't throw them fresh out of the package for green heads...however I do clip the pec fins and butter them up real well before they ever see water which I feel aids in the set (more skate in the mouth) and the baits longevity.

What I have been doing with them is removing the hardware and tinkering with them to fit the northeast need. I have come up with two for my uses with the first being a floater that I pitch then quiver over moss beds and high up on flats. This offering sits on its side and looks as though it was just conked in the head and disoriented. The second need that I had was rigging one to fish 2-3 feet down slowly (anything deeper and I am pitchin' a big jig) on grass lines that appears in the water as stunned or trying to right itself.

I have recently been in touch with Matt in an effort to sell me some (a bunch) without the pre-rigging. I can't wait to get my hands on them.

DJ if you want to launch with me out of Buffalo this fall I'll show you what Matts gill can do on the other bass ;)

Nice to see some right coasters swinging for the fence.

regards, T
Team flannel, overtime and promotion.

Cpark
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cpark » Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:43 pm

I just got 2 of the ultimate bluegill's in the mail yesterday. Can't wait to get them on the water and see what happens. They look like they could take off swimming on their own they are so life like.

Mattlures
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Mattlures » Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:29 am

Thanks for all the kind words guys. You all just made my week

davej
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by davej » Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:21 am

TravisNY wrote:Lubina I am with you I have not touched anything but the original. I first started tinkering with them slightly after they first became available and have had no reason to change. Now I will say that I don't throw them fresh out of the package for green heads...however I do clip the pec fins and butter them up real well before they ever see water which I feel aids in the set (more skate in the mouth) and the baits longevity.

What I have been doing with them is removing the hardware and tinkering with them to fit the northeast need. I have come up with two for my uses with the first being a floater that I pitch then quiver over moss beds and high up on flats. This offering sits on its side and looks as though it was just conked in the head and disoriented. The second need that I had was rigging one to fish 2-3 feet down slowly (anything deeper and I am pitchin' a big jig) on grass lines that appears in the water as stunned or trying to right itself.

I have recently been in touch with Matt in an effort to sell me some (a bunch) without the pre-rigging. I can't wait to get my hands on them.

DJ if you want to launch with me out of Buffalo this fall I'll show you what Matts gill can do on the other bass ;)

Nice to see some right coasters swinging for the fence.

regards, T
Awesome tips.. these are the tips nobody will talk about on any other site...

T how do you get them to float?

Team Spot burner fire up the Van we may be going to Buffalo.. .and yes Johnny we will stop for wings..

Dave