Swimbaits for summer deep holding bass

Come share your passion, experiences, and questions for the latest fishing craze to take the Nation... you asked for it, and here it is.. TT's SWIMBAIT FORUM!
alford78
Angler
Angler

Swimbaits for summer deep holding bass

Post by alford78 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:36 am

I am having Matt build me my first big swimbait rod (Edge XH 8' Swimbait rod blank). I have never fished (successfully) a large swimbait so am new to all the lure options. I fish Barkley and Kentucky lakes and Kentucky bass fishing during the summer is hard work for me since there isn't much structure and the bass hold rather deep. They are pressured with jigs and crank baits more than most other lures because of their depth.

I'm looking for atleast two swimbaits to get me started and would like to fish them in the 15'-25' range. I'm thinking one hard and one soft if that's possible or just two completely different baits. Threadfin and gizzard shad along with various sunfish are the lakes main sources of swimming prey. I bought some Huddleston trout and shad a few years ago but haven't had them wet enough to have had much luck. There are some trout released in creeks/rivers that feed into both lakes but don't know how well a trout bait would work in all honesty. The lakes aren't known to hold a lot of monster bass but there are some there. A 5-7lb bass is generally a good catch from my experience.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Swimbaits for summer deep holding bass

Post by dragon1 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:11 am

Personally, I would opt for bigger SW type swimjig heads in the 1 - 1.5oz sizes, and add a bigger 5" - 8" soft swimbait body.

Lots of ways to fish that set up deep. ;)

FWIW, the latest craze of super deep divers are pretty big bodies as well...as is a spinnerbait like a Jackhammer:

http://forums.tackletour.com/viewtopic. ... er#p391517

Good luck

alford78
Angler
Angler

Post by alford78 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:06 am

Yea that hammer is interesting just not sure bout using SW jig though but guess could give one a try.

Are there no swimbaits that are designed for deep fishing? I posted a similar thread on swimbait forum with zero replies not even, "there isn't one."

Boondock
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Boondock » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:09 am

Hudds... ROF 12 and 16 are great for deep water fishing
Spro BBZ fast sinks sink pretty fast, more likely to snag as they have two trebles on the bottom.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:25 am

Boondock wrote:Hudds... ROF 12 and 16 are great for deep water fishing
Spro BBZ fast sinks sink pretty fast, more likely to snag as they have two trebles on the bottom.
Indeed, however my experience is that the bulk of big swimbaits rise faster on retrieve than some of the other listed lures.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:20 am

Weedless Hudds, ROF 12 and 16.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:46 pm

You can also stroke 'em deep with bigger jigheads and a swimbait body like a Big Hammer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITtTLdUQqNo

SwimbaitsatLMV
Angler
Angler

Post by SwimbaitsatLMV » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:07 pm

Teal101 wrote:Weedless Hudds, ROF 12 and 16.
There's no such thing as a weedless ROF 16.

Hudd ROF 12 will get you down to any depth to about 40'. As others have said, lead head plastics are good too.

SwimbaitsatLMV
Angler
Angler

Post by SwimbaitsatLMV » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:09 pm

Also, don't discount fishing shallower. True "big baits" have a lot of drawing power. I've caught top water fish over 25-30' of water. A top water bait like an MS slammer and a Slow sink like a Triple Trout will be some of the most exciting bites you've ever had.

timsford
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timsford » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:15 pm

You might try the river 2 sea bottom walker. Its supposed to be a fast sink swimbait for slow rolling near the bottom. Not sure on exact ROF though

alford78
Angler
Angler

Post by alford78 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:09 am

dragon1 wrote:You can also stroke 'em deep with bigger jigheads and a swimbait body like a Big Hammer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITtTLdUQqNo

That video hit nail on head. Fishing exactly same spots as me with good results. Think I'm gonna rig up a 1.5oz jig with skit and 5-7" swimbait and give this method a try.

Ledge fishing is just not fun for me hence why I drive the extra 10 minutes to put in at Barkley Lake that has tons of structure. The ledge fish are just extremely pressured by jig n pig and crank bait all day every day so this stroking a hybrid sort of jig swimbait may be really effective until everyone follows suit lol.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:17 am

alford78 wrote:That video hit nail on head. Fishing exactly same spots as me with good results. Think I'm gonna rig up a 1.5oz jig with skit and 5-7" swimbait and give this method a try. Ledge fishing is just not fun for me hence why I drive the extra 10 minutes to put in at Barkley Lake that has tons of structure. The ledge fish are just extremely pressured by jig n pig and crank bait all day every day so this stroking a hybrid sort of jig swimbait may be really effective until everyone follows suit lol.
Kool man...thought so based upon your post:
alford78 wrote:I am having Matt build me my first big swimbait rod (Edge XH 8' Swimbait rod blank). I have never fished (successfully) a large swimbait so am new to all the lure options. I fish Barkley and Kentucky lakes and Kentucky bass fishing during the summer is hard work for me since there isn't much structure and the bass hold rather deep. They are pressured with jigs and crank baits more than most other lures because of their depth.
I have been wanting to stroke a swimjig/swimbait body on jighead for years, but haven't had a chance at fishing water deeper than 10' consistently...especially from shore.

Good luck...and BTW, your custom swimbait rod is going to be SICK! :big grin: :mrgreen: 8-)

alford78
Angler
Angler

Post by alford78 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:08 am

Kool man...thought so based upon your post:

I have been wanting to stroke a swimjig/swimbait body on jighead for years, but haven't had a chance at fishing water deeper than 10' consistently...especially from shore.

Good luck...and BTW, your custom swimbait rod is going to be SICK! :big grin: :mrgreen: 8-)

Yea. Your first post about just the SW jig hook threw me off for a minute since I have so many 1-1.5oz bass jigs for the same scenario but adding the swimbait and stroking it made sense after watching the video. I'm going to incorporate a skirt some how too and give that a try along with just a bare body. A-Rigs for points and swimbaits on the ledges with this rod are my goals.

Matt has built a worm rod for me and now this swimbait rod and another Edge 8' cranking blank is in the making. Figured might as well have him build a BIG cranking rod at same time since will be on Kentucky more once start trying this new technique.

His craftsmanship is top notch and he turned me on to the spiral wrap. He will help his clients throughout the process of choosing the specific parts which I highly praise. I'm sure not all rod builders genuinely help/advise as he does throughout the process. Great guy and great finished products!

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:15 am

alford78 wrote:Kool man...thought so based upon your post:

Yea. Your first post about just the SW jig hook threw me off for a minute since I have so many 1-1.5oz bass jigs for the same scenario but adding the swimbait and stroking it made sense after watching the video. I'm going to incorporate a skirt some how too and give that a try along with just a bare body. A-Rigs for points and swimbaits on the ledges with this rod are my goals.

Matt has built a worm rod for me and now this swimbait rod and another Edge 8' cranking blank is in the making. Figured might as well have him build a BIG cranking rod at same time since will be on Kentucky more once start trying this new technique.

His craftsmanship is top notch and he turned me on to the spiral wrap. He will help his clients throughout the process of choosing the specific parts which I highly praise. I'm sure not all rod builders genuinely help/advise as he does throughout the process. Great guy and great finished products!
Yeppers on Matt....BTW, try bouncing thos BEEG spinnerbaits off of ledges and slow rolling deep if you can find some structure. When the deep crankbait bite dies off, a big, deep spinnerbait will surprise you.

alford78
Angler
Angler

Post by alford78 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:28 am

Yeppers on Matt....BTW, try bouncing thos BEEG spinnerbaits off of ledges and slow rolling deep if you can find some structure. When the deep crankbait bite dies off, a big, deep spinnerbait will surprise you.

Yea, I found where to order them. How does one supposed to work that giant bait?