Best retrieve for Mattlures U2 Gill and Hudd Grass Minnow

Come share your passion, experiences, and questions for the latest fishing craze to take the Nation... you asked for it, and here it is.. TT's SWIMBAIT FORUM!
Backlash Picker
Angler
Angler

Best retrieve for Mattlures U2 Gill and Hudd Grass Minnow

Post by Backlash Picker » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:35 pm

Hello,

I'm new to fishing swim baits and just bought a Mattlures U2 Boot-Tail Gill and a Huddleston Grass Minnow. Next week I am going to be fishing for bass in a clear water lake with mostly grass and cabbage for structure (typically in 6 to 12 foot depth). I'd appreciate any advise on best retrieve for these lures.

Thanks,

Backlash

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Best retrieve for Mattlures U2 Gill and Hudd Grass Minno

Post by Tokugawa » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:17 am

It's a bit late...but I like to swim the U2 gill on the top like a wake bait. You can add trebles to the bottom if needed.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Best retrieve for Mattlures U2 Gill and Hudd Grass Minno

Post by toddmc » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:27 am

Slow rolling just over the grass gets the most bites most of the time. The U2 Gill with the flat tail is for bed fishing and fishing like a jig in the grass. The boot tail U2 Gill is a better bait to slow roll because the tail will swim better. Don't fish the bluegill baits like the U2 and the Rago with only the downward facing top hook if you are slow rolling them. You will miss most of your fish. I took the bottom treble off of a U2 Gill last night because the grass was too heavy. I got about 15 bites in 20 casts in this one golf course lake because their primary bait is bluegill. I only hooked two and only got one on the shore. I tied on a Black Dog Weedslinger in the bluegill color and they were swallowing it and all hooked well.

The best slow rolling bluegill bait for me has been the 3:16 Sunfish with a line through treble, but it is almost unfishable once the grass gets up. The 3:16 Sunfish is not quite as realistic, but the tail thumps nicely making it great for night fishing.