Fluorocarbon unmanageable with bigger baits?

Come share your passion, experiences, and questions for the latest fishing craze to take the Nation... you asked for it, and here it is.. TT's SWIMBAIT FORUM!
VegasNative
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Fluorocarbon unmanageable with bigger baits?

Post by VegasNative » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:17 pm

Anybody else find Fluorocarbon to be some what of a pita when throwing heavier baits?I don't if it's the brand I am using (25lb P-Line) but it seems to require quite a bit of extra attention.Lately I have just been throwing mono.Any input is greatly appreciated!

Farnorth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Fluorocarbon unmanageable with bigger baits?

Post by Farnorth » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:55 am

I would say that mono is always more manageable than fluoro at a given diameter but I do use 30lb Sunline Shooter Fluoro on my heavy swimbait setup and haven't had too many issues. On that rod I throw baits mostly from 4 to 7 oz. I have yet to backlash it but I pretty much always use some thumb.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:54 pm

I would try some other fluoros if I was you. P-line is not the best handling fluoro, and yes fluoro over 20lb. test can be tough to handle if you aren't using a reel larger than a standard size baitcaster. You may find something that is better for your needs. There are huge differences in fluoros. You will often give up sensitivity and abrasion resistance with the softer fluoros (Tatsu, Sniper), but gain knot strength and manageability. You won't get everything in one line. So, decide what qualities that you want in your big bait line and go from there. There are plenty of us on here that can recommend good lines to try if you tell us what you want. I only use fluoro for baits over two ounces when my bait is making bottom contact (i.e. ROF 12 8" Hudd).

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:49 am

you hitting it with any of that silicone spray stuff that helps manage line? I use KVD Line and Lure, and it works wonders. Need to reapply but man it helps.

Dr_Dropshot
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Dr_Dropshot » Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:58 pm

2nd the KVD line spray

Okiekev
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Okiekev » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:37 pm

I like 20# InvizX and use line spray before just about every trip.