Swimbait line ...

Come share your passion, experiences, and questions for the latest fishing craze to take the Nation... you asked for it, and here it is.. TT's SWIMBAIT FORUM!
Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Swimbait line ...

Post by Real Pudd legend » Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:32 am

Do you prefer to throw straight mono or Braid to Fluoro/mono leader ?

What connection knot do you use when doing 40lb /50lb braid to 25 lb leader?

Thanks in advance fellas...

poot04
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Swimbait line ...

Post by poot04 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:42 pm

I’m running 80lb maxquattro to 30lb sunline fluorocarbon leader with an fg knot. New to the big bait game but haven’t had any trouble with connection, just connecting with a fish. Lol

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:59 pm

Big baits over 3oz: 65lbs Maxcuatro to 30-35lbs mono or fluoro shock leader. FG knot, never had an issue. On the couple unfortunate occasions when my reel backlashed and catapulted the bait into the water the connection knot to the SB broke, never the leader knot. (And that was a San Diego Jam, hardly a weak knot.)

Smaller SBs under 3oz: 50lbs Maxcuatro to 20lbs mono.

ogrich31
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ogrich31 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:59 pm

Straight 20lb or 25lb fluoro (Shooter, sometimes Tatsu) on everything other than big walk-the-dog type baits. I go with straight 65lb braid (Maxima or V2 SS) for those.

I'd only use the Alberto knot if I were to go braid to leader.

Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Real Pudd legend » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:09 pm

Thanks for the heads up fellas , probably 50lb better to connect to 20/25 lb. is it okay to go 8 down and 8 up? Anymore than that it’s hard to cinch...

ogrich31
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ogrich31 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:11 am

Real Pudd legend wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:09 pm
Thanks for the heads up fellas , probably 50lb better to connect to 20/25 lb. is it okay to go 8 down and 8 up? Anymore than that it’s hard to cinch...
I'd go 65. 50 can break on a backlash, especially with 4oz+ baits. It'll be fine with 20/25 imo. For the Albright/Alberto knot, I go 7 up and 7 down. I don't know about the fg since it's been 5+ years since I've tied one.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:58 am

1 : Fast Moving baits - Straight Braid (50lb or ~0.32mm in MEASURED diameter)

2a : Traditional slow, to medium speed retrieve baits - Hollow Braid + 20 or 30lb nylon mono leader

2b : In cases where I want to add a leader to a reel already spooled with braid the connection knot I use these days is the FG knot tied with the Daiichi Knot Assist 2.0 tool.

I used to use the albright special but I can't tie it consistently. Same goes for me with the Alberto. The uni to uni knot works but it's not small enough for me.

I will not use fluorocarbon for any bait weighing over 3 ounces... maybe even two. When I started my journey with big baits over ten years ago, I used to use 20lb Sunline Shooter. After my knot broke on a cast of a brand new $150 bait - on the very first cast with that bait - I never used fluoro for that application again.

If I have to go with one setup, it's 2a... in case you haven't seen it: http://www.tackletour.com/reviewpowerprohollowace.html
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:18 am

50lb and 65lb PP at the moment. All my needs met no worries. my waters have been cruddy generally so never saw the need to use mono for my needs any longer once I made the jump to braid. especially at least until the local reservoirs clear up visibility wise....then i may be back to leaders but again i don't like to fuss much there either :P But if I had to do mono cxx mono P line has what I trust but I got sick of memory and I don't mess with line conditioners but it is absolutely trustworthy for sling the bigger stuff. The maxim throwing right now is about 3 and 1/2 + ounces in total weight relative to what rig(s) I have out. I have never used Straight fluorocarbon for anything I would be interested to try but I doubt I will :-k

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:22 am

I'm also at the stage where I'm trying to experiment/trust more with line diameters too if possible as I am becoming a little more educated on what PE ratings mean, diameters and what not. I think in most applications i find it easier to use the traditional pound breakage but I'm also at the stage where I'm kind of into the line tinkering although I'm not sure how far that rabbit hole will take me as I'm pretty satisfied with powerpro and I can't quite make the jump to Daiwa Samurai even though I hear amazing things about it or any of the other touted brands :-k

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:28 am

I will add this though I am pretty dang satisfied with how my Glide bait selection works with braids but I would like to try to go back to straight mono and see if I might possibly get a little bit better action if that makes sense. You'll have to excuse me if a lot of this has been hashed out previously I know Cal and Zander covered a lot of this already amongst the rest of you cats :P

Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Real Pudd legend » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:09 am

Appreciate all the great info fellas , this is the best place for all fishing knowledge.