Low peofile swimbait reel

Come share your passion, experiences, and questions for the latest fishing craze to take the Nation... you asked for it, and here it is.. TT's SWIMBAIT FORUM!
Fran87
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Low peofile swimbait reel

Post by Fran87 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:34 pm

Hi guys;

I'm on the market for a low profile swimbait reel, I throw max 3oz simbaits and ussually less so what low profile reel would you recomend to me?

Until now I was using a old Big Bait Special that I already sold and it works well for me...

I like new zillion , morethan ( maybe is tougher ), new calais ( or would be better choice old MD version...)

My rod is only 6'11 and rated to 4oz ( Gran Cobra RS ) and I would like that the reel was as light as possible.

Thank you very much in advance

Regards

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Low peofile swimbait reel

Post by Dalleinf » Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:45 pm

How much less? If you regularly throw 2-3 oz baits, I would go with larger reels than those you mention.
Daiwa: Lexa 300 HD, Tatula 300 or Zillion TW HD / new Steez A TW HLC for a smaller BBS-like option
Shimano: Curado 300 K, Tranx 300, Antares DC MD
ABU: Revo Beast, for me maybe even Toro Beast 50HS but that is too heavy for you...

If you want light:
Zillion TW HD / new Steez A TW HLC
The latter supposedly designed for 0.5 to 2 oz baits

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:00 pm

I noticed you asked about CQ100 for max 3oz swimbait in another thread.
IMO it is too small. I have the CQ100 for 3/8-1 oz baits and use and Avail spool for 3/16-3/8 oz baits.
You need thick line for max 3oz swimbaits and the 100 size reel has low capacity (e.g. 100 m 10 LB versus 100 m 16 LB for the Steez A HLC). You could consider the 200 size CQ or CQ DC, and I would likely choose a 300 size CQ for 3 oz baits [-o<

Fran87
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Fran87 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:33 pm

Dalleinf wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:45 pm
How much less? If you regularly throw 2-3 oz baits, I would go with larger reels than those you mention.
Daiwa: Lexa 300 HD, Tatula 300 or Zillion TW HD / new Steez A TW HLC for a smaller BBS-like option
ABU: Revo Beast, for me maybe even Toro Beast 50HS but that is too heavy for you...

If you want light:
Yes , I usually throw 2oz and sporadically 3oz so... I don't need to hold such a large line capacity. In addition, I fish a lot in rivers where my cast aren't so long...

And what about morethan Dalleinf ? It seems to be more powerfull than Steez A... Which one will you choice ?

Regards

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:41 pm

Something like the Scorpion 150 MG would be perfect based on your needs.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:25 pm

Fran87 wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:33 pm
Dalleinf wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:45 pm

If you want light:

Yes , I usually throw 2oz and sporadically 3oz so... I don't need to hold such a large line capacity. In addition, I fish a lot in rivers where my cast aren't so long...

And what about morethan Dalleinf ? It seems to be more powerfull than Steez A... Which one will you choice ?

Regards
My choice, if I needed “light” would be the Zillion TW HD. I have that reel and have caught 17 lb Atlantic salmon with it. It is a great, powerful and sturdy reel imo.
If I wanted light and a new kid on the block then I would go Steez A HLC.

At this price point and with reels built for large baits, I do not think that “powerfull” will be an issue.

I have the 2019 Morethan, which is also a great and sturdy reel. It was designed for casting 1/4 to 1 oz lures in saltwater, so again line capacity is a bit lower than above. If you can live with that line capacity then you will be very happy with the Morethan.

Fran87
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Fran87 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:53 am

Thanks man;

New steez A HLC and Morethan are lighter than Zillion HD which is important to me in order to get my rod well balanced, I don't know how many meters of 18lb Fluoro would fit in Morethan... just beacuse the figures are in braid line, Also If I'm not wrong morethan has a bigger handle and bronze gears which would be tough than new Steez A... What do you think about it?

Thanks
Regards

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:16 am

Fran87 wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:53 am
Thanks man;

New steez A HLC and Morethan are lighter than Zillion HD which is important to me in order to get my rod well balanced, I don't know how many meters of 18lb Fluoro would fit in Morethan... just beacuse the figures are in braid line, Also If I'm not wrong morethan has a bigger handle and bronze gears which would be tough than new Steez A... What do you think about it?

Thanks
Regards
I guess you can fit approx 60 yards of 18 LB Fluoro to the Morethan depending on line brand etc.
In my book, that is not enough. Perhaps you can find a RCS/SLP spool with higher line capacity for the Morethan, but I cannot recall.
I believe the XH Morethan has brass gear - not bronze - while the “slower” version has digigear - I may be wrong but seem to recall a thread here on TT (perhaps the thread on the Morethan that I started :) )
I like brass gears but it is not a big issue to me.
Handle length is not all that important to me either - easy to change handle if needed. That said, the Zillion has a nice long handle and large grips.
Moreover, the Zillion HD is 230 gram. When I started fishing that was an ultralight reel. Thus, our views on fishing reels, handles, gears, reel weight and line need seems to differ :P
Therefore, I think you should listen to Cal (Scorpion 151 has a capacity slightly higher than the Morethan - I also have the Scorpion and enjoy it) or make sure to hear from other TT users than me to get a more nuanced view. Best of luck with your purchase.

eklikewhoa
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by eklikewhoa » Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:57 am

For that size I normally just throw on my steez or old zillions/tdz

Also use the DC200 for slower rolling/cranking or my exense dc for faster stuff.

Dink Whisperer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dink Whisperer » Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:34 pm

Lew's super duty wide spool is the best low pro reel I've ever used for swimbaits. It holds a ton of line, is super smooth and can handle whatever weights you throw at it. And it only weighs a little over 8oz.