New to Big swimbait fishing, have questions and looking for advice.

Come share your passion, experiences, and questions for the latest fishing craze to take the Nation... you asked for it, and here it is.. TT's SWIMBAIT FORUM!
BHCFishing
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

New to Big swimbait fishing, have questions and looking for advice.

Post by BHCFishing » Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:11 am

Hi, I'm new to big swimbait fishing addicted as hell, fishing clear water in Lake Mohave/Havesu/Colo river.

Right now I'm throwing a lot of 2-3oz swimbaits/ glidebaits mostly treble hooked ones, on a Fury 795 Swimbait paired with a Tatula 200. I got a lot of lures, and want to add another Rod/reel so I don''t have to switch lures as often and can fish multiple glides on a fishing outing.

My first question is, is the 795 better for 1hook jig types or is it better for the treble hook lures.

second question is what rod/reel would be a decent upgrade to what I am using, rod would mostly be using treble hook glide baits.

Question about line- I'm using a braid to FC100 leader, Have no had a break off yet which is surprising! On the new rod I am thinking about trying a different line thinking with no leader, just straight whatever line it is, what would you guys recommend running as that line?

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New to Big swimbait fishing, have questions and looking for advice.

Post by Cal » Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:29 am

It's been some time since I fished a Dobyns 795, but from my recollection it is best as a treble hook bait rod.

As for reels, that all depends on your budget and the line capacity you're comfortable fishing. There's a lot of room above the Tatula brand.

For line, I encourage you to read through our line reviews. Sunline makes good stuff but a lot of this depends on the diameter line you're fishing, etc. Questions are too open ended for solid recommendations, but a lot of what you're questioning can also be answered with a little leg work in our review archive.

I personally prefer the braid to leader approach. Most swimbait guys prefer straight mono or copoly. Zander fishes straight braid. Success can be had with different strategies. Just depends what works bet for you.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:37 am

I am with Cal as well if you could give an idea of lure ranges like what you're thinking about throwing beyond your 2 to 3 oz baits that would be helpful ti me that would determine obviously rod and reel choice and thirdly line choice if applicable

Also not the most important but could also factor in because for me in particular when I choose swimbait rods or reels I look for it to generally double as a salting tool(s) as well, relative to what I'm fishing for.

Also what is your budget :big grin: that always is helpful because there is a lot out there and depending on what you're willing to spend that can obviously change your direction depending on what you're trying to accomplish

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:38 am

Sorry 2nd blurb was pertaining to body of water and I got all tangent with my thoughts :doh: