Swimbait Reel Speed?

Come share your passion, experiences, and questions for the latest fishing craze to take the Nation... you asked for it, and here it is.. TT's SWIMBAIT FORUM!
ra2bach
Angler
Angler

Swimbait Reel Speed?

Post by ra2bach » Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:07 pm

Hey guys, I'm completely new to swimbaiting and starting with 200 size glides and 8" Magdraft, etc. and bought a Dobyns 806 and Curado 300 reel. I got the 6.6:1 speed, figuring this would be similar to the 200 size reels but come to find out this actually takes up line @ 35IPT.

The other reel available, 4.7:1, is 25IPT.

Did I mess up getting this reel instead of the slower one?

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Swimbait Reel Speed?

Post by Cal » Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:51 pm

In general, I fish faster reels with most glides, slower reels with wake baits and crank downs and most soft plastics. It's easier to slow your retrieve with a fast reel than it is to speed up with a slow reel... at least it is for me. My suggestion is to fish what you have and see if you can make it work. If not, then adjust accordingly. ;)
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

ra2bach
Angler
Angler

Post by ra2bach » Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:12 pm

Cal wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:51 pm
In general, I fish faster reels with most glides, slower reels with wake baits and crank downs and most soft plastics. It's easier to slow your retrieve with a fast reel than it is to speed up with a slow reel... at least it is for me. My suggestion is to fish what you have and see if you can make it work. If not, then adjust accordingly. ;)
Thanks Cal. I don't have enough experience yet to really know how to fish these but am I right that a 28-30IPT would be more natural reeling pace for the glides? When I've found the bait "works" best, I felt like the speed I was reeling was unnatural with the 35IPT.

I've tried to rationalize the need for a fast takeup reel as I'll need the speed if I get bit at the end of a long cast with a deep spool. As you say, I'll try it for awhile and then adjust accordingly. thanks for the reply...

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:57 pm

I don't really look at the numbers except when listing the spec's in each reel's review. Otherwise, I string them up, tie on the baits I want to fish and see how the baits behave during a retrieve. If it's too fast, just slow the pace of your retrieve until the bait is swimming in a manner that feels fishy.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Bay_Bassin86
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bay_Bassin86 » Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:00 am

In general for me it’s a faster reel for hardbaits and a slower reel for soft baits. But if you have to choose one go with the faster reel and just teach your self to slow down.

G40
Angler
Angler

Post by G40 » Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:20 pm

I prefer faster ratio and more inches per turn for Glide baits, But It does take a bit of time before you realize your overworking your baits. If you're using Floro/Copoly...You have to consider that the retrieve per turn is less at the start of the cast than it is at the end of the cast. So, your reel speed actually should adjust to slowing down a bit halfway through the cast, if you're trying to keep you bait action more consistent.

Like everyone above, I prefer lower ratio for softbaits and wakes, but I go very slow, with tricked out Abu Ambassaduers. But it depends on what line you use and what style you prefer to fish. If your using braid, I feel the lower ratios can be a bit more forgiving.