Floating line through trout?

Come share your passion, experiences, and questions for the latest fishing craze to take the Nation... you asked for it, and here it is.. TT's SWIMBAIT FORUM!
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Floating line through trout?

Post by LowRange » Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:13 pm

I bought some swimbaits with a gift card and went out to toss the 3oz savage gear line though trout on the Hyuga 72H just to see how the rod handles the bait. Turns out it's a bit much for the Huyga and I'll have to throw this on my bigger sticks. The thing is, the bait floats. It didn't have any action but I burned it back kind of fast so it had no action when on the top and the frigid water probably kept the bait too high in the water anyways.

So, how are you supposed to work these things? Just slow crawl and it wakes on the surface? My punching and frog destination could use a weedless wake bait on the edges of mats and the Valkaryie XXH is up to both tasks as an all in one punching and big bait stick. This seem reasonable? Problem is the reel in that stick is an 8:1. That too fast for these baits? I really should get one of each sink rate.
Attachments
Screenshot_20211211-201235_Gallery_copy_540x959.jpg
Screenshot_20211211-201235_Gallery_copy_540x959.jpg (47.26 KiB) Viewed 6494 times

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Floating line through trout?

Post by Bronzeye » Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:12 pm

I don't have the experience to tell you how to fish this bait, but I have the imagination to make a suggestion.

If you fish that bait on a lake that has big bass that feed on trout, look for an open campground, then for a stretch of shore near it that would likely be used by casual anglers fishing with bait. (Sadly, the clearest giveaway to such a spot is likely to be empty corn cans or white styrofoam containers left near the shore.) Seems to me there would probably be several gut-hooked trout per day floating off that shore and some bass that have learned to check the area for easy meals. You might lob out your floating fake while you rig up other rods, giving it a twitch now and then. Not an all-outing pattern, but maybe worth a try!

Bud Andrews, a big-bass guide on Florida's Harris Chain of Lakes, strongly believed in dead-sticking lures for lunkers. He mostly did that with Culprit worms, but I think he also did it with floating Rapalas. Your lure would seem to have a lot more drawing power!

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:50 pm

I use the moderate and fast sink for pike. They work great with a slow retrieve and an s-curve action. Among my favourite baits. Have limited experience with floating version.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:54 pm

A 20 cm mod sink, 98 gram. Was going for pike but this neayrly 4.4 lbs perch was hungry
Attachments
D94170D0-81E1-456F-947A-FC6F9D27BCA2.png
D94170D0-81E1-456F-947A-FC6F9D27BCA2.png (108.34 KiB) Viewed 6477 times

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:47 am

Dalleinf wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:54 pm
A 20 cm mod sink, 98 gram. Was going for pike but this neayrly 4.4 lbs perch was hungry
What a specimen!!! Well done =D>

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:25 am

Does the line thru exit as a top hook or bottom hook bait? If it wakes and the hook is on top, you will likely not hook up on most strikes.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:58 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:25 am
Does the line thru exit as a top hook or bottom hook bait? If it wakes and the hook is on top, you will likely not hook up on most strikes.
Good point.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:06 pm

I haven't fished that bait, but I believe it is supposed to be a deadstick bait that sits upside down with the hook down. There are a few swimbait videos of this class of swimbait that were floating around the interwebs years ago. They will test your patience!!! :lol:

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:06 pm

https://youtu.be/8hsk5RWoVUM
Mads shows how to use the FL.

I recommend that you try the MS and FS version :-)

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:29 pm

Good find, Dalleinf!

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:06 am

toddmc wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:06 pm
I haven't fished that bait, but I believe it is supposed to be a deadstick bait that sits upside down with the hook down. There are a few swimbait videos of this class of swimbait that were floating around the interwebs years ago. They will test your patience!!! :lol:
After watching the video it seems like more of a weedless wake bait when top hooked. My bait had no action because it burned it in and I think the high density frigid water kept the bait too high. I was realy just testing the ability of the Hyuga to handle 3oz and there was a lot of chop on the water. I was on the way to the gym casting a swimbait in 35 degree weather in shorts like a weirdo.

I would think based on latter half of this video the bait would work well in warm water slow crawled.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:42 am

LowRange wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:06 am
toddmc wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:06 pm
After watching the video it seems like more of a weedless wake bait when top hooked. My bait had no action because it burned it in and I think the high density frigid water kept the bait too high. I was realy just testing the ability of the Hyuga to handle 3oz and there was a lot of chop on the water. I was on the way to the gym casting a swimbait in 35 degree weather in shorts like a weirdo.

I would think based on latter half of this video the bait would work well in warm water slow crawled.
The Mattlures deadstick bait is the one with the flipped design that doesn't have any joints. I would think that the joints on that Savage bait are there to get a glide when you twitch it between long dead pauses. Savage says that bait is fished painfully slow. It looks like the savage bait sits rightside up. Our water here in SoCal rarely gets below the 50's. I've seen guys fish the Mattlures bait on DVL and just sit there forever as the bait sits motionless. I'd rather watch paint dry! :crying: I actually like the 0 ROF 8" Hudd the best for a bigger slow trout bait on the top of the water column. You can rig it with trap hooks only on the top of the bait or wherever you like to fish it in most conditions. Go on my friend's site swimbaitunderground.com if you want more info on the Savage bait. There will probably be someone on there with some experience with that bait. Most of the guys here in SoCal are elitists when it comes to big baits and they don't fish anything that isn't going for way too much on the auction sites. :roll: :D

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:17 am

Good and bad news.

The good: I threw the bait last year for 2 outtings maybe making about 20 casts. On the 1st outtting I ran it over a slow sloping point at the mouth of a cove in July and got a 7lb fish when I paused the bait and let it float to watch a set ski fly by. When the wake hit it I heard a big splash and saw a fat tail diving down. Set the hook and landed the fish to find the hook had only wrapped around a gill cage rib. The bait slid up the line and once the tension was off the hook fell off the rib. Line through did its job and didn't wrench on the hook. The bait has an incredible swimming action and produces a nice wake with drawing power. The option for top or bottom hooking is nice. My fish came bottom hooked.

The bad: a critter of some kind ate my lure. It was sitting out in the kayak which was on the garage floor and I had the garage door open to allow my smoker to be wheeled out and ran while plugged in. Something got in and chowed down on that bait.

Even more bad: they are discontinued. The 3D baits are gone and the new 4D only comes in slow sink. I have to buy old stock and apparently my 8" 3 oz 3D Trout was a special model with the option for both top or bottom hooking and came with sent. The replacements I have bought are top hook only and not scented. I don't care about the sent but I want my floaters bottom hooked.

Any idea what model or version 3D trout had this? Is just a later production 3D Trout? My other 3D Trout in a slow sink also has top and bottom hooking options as well as scent.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:55 am

After some digging it looks like the early 3D line through trout was top hook only in all sink rates and the later models gained the top or bottom hook option as well as scent. Unfortunately it's impossible to tell which is which by looking packages because they ship with the hook on top even on the baits with both options. I got a late model on the way that wasn't listed with a fall rate but a review said it was a floating model. The pic was with the bait out of the package and bottom rigged which indicates a late model. I also got a top hook 10" too just to see what throwing 6 oz is like. I'll pay $28 to know what that is like. Should have some mega drawing power.