Fishing Docks with Hard swim baits

Come share your passion, experiences, and questions for the latest fishing craze to take the Nation... you asked for it, and here it is.. TT's SWIMBAIT FORUM!
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Fishing Docks with Hard swim baits

Post by goldrod » Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:40 pm

well i am super happy to report to you that i gets it DONE..
weather conditions were horrible for me as it was windy and i thnk it was going west to east and no cover was in sight and to be honest at the dock i gave second thoughts on even launching the boat. I was set on going on as you there is no such thing as a perfect day is what i told myself. So i get on to lest windiest part of the bowl that I was fishing. I had some finesse rods rigged but it was so windy that they were null and void and so i went to my trusted jerk bait rod , the Cougar RS and it caught several with no size and so it was I casted out the dire wolf and a s/b that as the lure was dropping I could feel it being hit and That is something That I have learned from Tim. Throw the S/B and as i have been doing so i have gained a lot more confidence in it and what its telling me. So it was that I didnt have a swimbait rod with me not even my beloved power versatile IP68 combo but i did have a X7 steez A combo and man i was just throwing this thing out and nothing.. i mean nothing and so I said to myself let me count down before the retrieve. 10, 9, 8 etc than I would retrieve. Just when I thought my efforts were futile
THUD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and I mean T H U D.
It was on and it wasnt coming up. I loosen up the drag and just played the fish in. I could see it was no boat flipping this fish and both hooks were secure. I got the fish in the boat and literally fist bumped myself. This was the paid off and alot of lessons learned. So it seems just like the spinnerbait when it was dropping as the swimbait would sink and i would turn the handle there was fish crashing into it that I thought was weird at first til I caught this fish and it all started to make sense. I had to count down til the lure got in the grass and than on the next cast less one one thousand start my retrieve so that Im not in the grass.
When I tell you that all the hooks brought, snaps , and all that extra stuff paled in comparison to this Epic catch.

and just for nostalgia sakes I took out a spinnerbait on my IMX843 TDZ combo and casted out this megabass V9 spinnerbait that i dont like cause its such a thin wire but the blade imho make it hotness on my line esp since i use a beast coast flick as a trailer (**!! for anyone whos not tried it try dream shad on your spinnerbait if its white or whiteish and watch the magic happen) and man that thing got destroyed again...lol , i am not sure when this thing is going to break and i keep throwing it thinking today will be the day..

Anyways I wanted to thank all of you guys for your tips and support. Today was epic and man the feel of a THUD on the end of your line is like nothing else. by estimation the fish was at least Five lbs but maybe more. its a memory of a life time.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:30 pm

Thudder
Attachments
IMG_6006.jpg
IMG_6006.jpg (119.94 KiB) Viewed 2509 times
IMG_9710.jpeg
IMG_9710.jpeg (130.29 KiB) Viewed 2510 times
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:20 pm

Nice!

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:28 am

Nice catch. I've been doing a lot of swimbaiting around docks this year. I was fortunate to get into big fish right away throwing swimbaits and catch nothing but big fish on them whenever I threw them. Not all produced however. I can't buy a follow on a glide but the Chibi Gantarel, SG 3D bluegill 5" slow sink, 3D 8" Trout floating have been producers for me. Especially the two bluegill baits around weeds near docks. My docks are shallow so I begin the reteive shortly after slash down to keep them out of the weeds.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:30 am

Still not sold on glides. They have the ability to call fish in or so I am told so maybe I'll throw them when I am unsure where the fish are. They are the most expensive and my lowest confidence big baits.