All around swimbait reel for Levante Leviathan?

Come share your passion, experiences, and questions for the latest fishing craze to take the Nation... you asked for it, and here it is.. TT's SWIMBAIT FORUM!
jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

All around swimbait reel for Levante Leviathan?

Post by jerkbait22 » Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:20 pm

I’m planning to pick up the Levante Leviathan as my first swimbait stick when I can find one in stock. I’m trying to figure out what reel I should pair with it.

I plan to fish a wide variety of baits, from wakebaits to glidebaits, 6” citizens and 6” mag drafts. I’m in the NE so I don’t plan on throwing anything bigger than 4oz. Almost all baits will be 1-3oz.

I was looking at the curado 300 but they don’t make an “in between” ratio unfortunately. Either 25 or 35 IPT. I’d like something around 30 IPT so I can fish all of the above baits.

I’m also not sure if I should go 200 or 300 size. If 300 then the tranx looks like it could be a good option since they make a model at that 30” IPT.

What do you folks suggest?

_diggy_
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: All around swimbait reel for Levante Leviathan?

Post by _diggy_ » Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:18 pm

This may help

viewtopic.php?t=85856

Balance & Weight

One of the most important traits of any rod is the balance point. And the Leviathan is no exception. The rod balances approximately 8” above the locknut without a reel mounted on it. There has been some talk about this rod too tip heavy, however, it is important to remember that this rod was intended for big baits, and that implies mounting a heavy reel on it.

When paired with a Curado 300DSV (10.5oz), for example, the Leviathan balances at just 2” above the locknut. This makes all the difference and it is clear the rod was designed with this in mind. The rod tip still feels floaty in hand and that, combined with the handle length makes the rod feel very proper indeed. Other reels that feel great on this rod include the Speedmaster 200 (9.9oz.) and the Curado 200DPV (9.8oz.). The rod feels like a swimbait rod in every way, and it demands that a proper swimbait reel be attached to the reel seat. Both of these reels balance well on the rod and give the angler much confidence in fishing swimbaits.

Additionally, there is a significant reduction in weight from the generation one model; the rod actually gives a false sense that it will be underpowered due to how light it is out of the rod sock. This is merely an illusion, brought on by the rod’s light weight and overall balance in hand. Both the detachable handle and the rod itself weigh in at 90 grams each.

---

You can look at other 300 size reels like the Tatula, Lexa, Lew's Super Duty, Concept A3, Revos, etc

I would get a 300 size reel 1st since it'll give you room to grow into heavier baits later like a Deps 250 without a lot of issues. Even cheaper big baits like a S-Waver 200 and Arashi are over 3oz, so you may want some added insurance for later on. You will run into deals on the forums on baits that weigh more than you planned to throw. You'll also have plenty of power for stripers if you run into one.

If you want to stick to 200 size, Tatula 200s or HDs, Zillion HD, Curado K, Calcuttas, Antares, Tranx 200, etc..you have a lot of choices. Some people complain about gear issues. I haven't really had any due to my average bait size being 4oz and under most days.

I use both 300 and 200 sizes, but it depends on the rod I choose to use.

jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jerkbait22 » Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:08 pm

thanks I did read that article. I don’t see myself graduating to 250 size baits because the biggest bass in my area in the northeast are 6-7lbs. My PB is a heavy 5. So max I would throw maybe is 4oz.

I do want a reel that will balance the rod and hence the dilemma. I guess I’d be open to other rods that can throw 1-4oz but I haven’t seen anything that can break down to 7’6 or below (for storage purposes).

I was looking at the wild side 7’2 H+ but feel I’d want something longer.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:55 pm

I run a Tranx 300 on my Dobyns 807 (rated 3-10oz, mostly 8” Huds), a Tatula 300 on my Dobyns 806 (rated 2-8oz, all 200+ glides, some 178s) and a Tatula 200 on my Destroyer Mark 48 (rated 1-5oz, all smaller glides). I’ll throw 6” Huds, Trash Fish etc. on both the 806 and Mark 48.

Depending on what you expect to throw most, both a 200 or 300 size reel should work. Seeing how the Leviathan is rated similarly to the 806, I’d skew towards the 300.

zalan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by zalan » Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:26 am

I think the line you are planning to use should be the deciding factor. Can you put enough line on a 200 size reel? If the answer is yes, you should stick to this size. If the answer is no, then go bigger. Regarding specific models, you got good recommendations already, so no need to repeat that.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:19 am

zalan wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:26 am
I think the line you are planning to use should be the deciding factor. Can you put enough line on a 200 size reel? If the answer is yes, you should stick to this size. If the answer is no, then go bigger. Regarding specific models, you got good recommendations already, so no need to repeat that.
This
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

hmnginmn
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by hmnginmn » Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:29 am

Depends what you plan on throwing. I think at 1-3oz you can squeeze by with a high line capacity 200 sized reel like a Tatula 200 or Antares MD. If you can go braid to leader a 150 sized reel would suffice as well. I would recommend 65-80 braid, I personally like PowerPro Max Quattro because it's thinner as just as strong as the same line test PowerPro. I have yet to break off 6oz on 80lb Max Quattro even with some nasty backlashes.
Long live the Jerkbait

jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jerkbait22 » Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:15 pm

I think I can get enough line cap on a 200 sized reel with 20lb mono. I plan to use either 20lb mono or braid to leader. This makes me wonder if I should downsize to a lighter/smaller swimbait rod since I don’t plan to throw over 4oz. I think I will make a new post.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:32 am

jerkbait22 wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:15 pm
I think I can get enough line cap on a 200 sized reel with 20lb mono. I plan to use either 20lb mono or braid to leader. This makes me wonder if I should downsize to a lighter/smaller swimbait rod since I don’t plan to throw over 4oz. I think I will make a new post.
For big mono I recommend a TWS reel. It's like trying to cast a slinky. The Zillion HD is an excellent choice. The Tatula 200 is a nice budget option. If you want to use it as a punching stick too then having spool options to drop in an braid spool is nice too. Both the Zillion HD and Tatula 200 have this option for pretty cheap.

Bay_Bassin86
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bay_Bassin86 » Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:58 am

jerkbait22 wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:15 pm
I use a Curado DC, Bantam MGL, Conquest DC200HG, and Conquest 200AHG with either 20lbs Sunline Assassin or 65lbs PP Maxcuatro with 20 or 25lbs FC leaders. You will have more than enough line capacity with a 150/200 size reel for baits up to 4oz. Also remember the new Levante Leviathan is a softer more parabolic rod than the Orochi XX so it should be fine with baits up the the 4oz range. It’s better to have more power and not need it vs the other way around.

jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jerkbait22 » Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:01 am

I ended up buying the new gen Leviathan. Reel still up in the air. I was scoping the new Zillion HD but not sure if it will have enough line cap? The Antares MD DC looks freaking awesome and would probably keep me throwing swimbaits for longer just for the fun factor but it only has a little more line cap than the new Zillion HD. I’m planning to start with 15lb co-poly XXX and 17lb AbrazX. I figure both should be fine for baits up to 3oz. After I did more research on the line it seems like people feel 20lb co-poly will hurt the action on the smaller baits and 15lb is fine for up to 3oz. I guess I could also go with the old zillion HD which seems to have the perfect amount of line cap.

Problem with the smaller size reels (zillion hd and Antares md) would be balancing out the longer rod but seems to me all of the rod work with swimbaits is going to be tip down - so does balance really matter then?

I was going to go with the Tranx 300 but maybe don’t need all that line cap? The new Zillion HD and Antares MD DC are much more fun or “inspiring” options as a tackle junkie.