Jointed Claw Shift - better than standard JC?

Come share your passion, experiences, and questions for the latest fishing craze to take the Nation... you asked for it, and here it is.. TT's SWIMBAIT FORUM!
jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Jointed Claw Shift - better than standard JC?

Post by jerkbait22 » Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:04 pm

I’m getting into swimbaits and was going to get a jointed claw 178, possibly the floater because I’ve seen people say the SS sinks too fast.

Then I came across the new “Shift” 183 which is also a floater and can be burned similar to the balam. Has anyone fished this bait yet? Should I go for the shift over the proven standard model?

Also any comments on the standard JC 178 floater vs slow sink?

Thanks in advance.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Jointed Claw Shift - better than standard JC?

Post by Cal » Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:54 pm

the Shift swims tighter and doesn't glide wide like the standard JC.. the "float" still sinks, just not as quickly as the slow sink. I actually prefer the sinking version of the JC unless i'm in skinny water like 5' or less... if you need to fish over the top of weeds with maybe 2' of water above them, the Zepro is another option.

There's no real "better" .. they're just different and it depends on the conditions you're fishing and what the fish want.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jerkbait22 » Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:04 pm

Cal wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:54 pm
the Shift swims tighter and doesn't glide wide like the standard JC.. the "float" still sinks, just not as quickly as the slow sink. I actually prefer the sinking version of the JC unless i'm in skinny water like 5' or less... if you need to fish over the top of weeds with maybe 2' of water above them, the Zepro is another option.

There's no real "better" .. they're just different and it depends on the conditions you're fishing and what the fish want.
If you were only going to get one to pair up with a slide swimmer 175 slow sink - would you get the slow sink or the floater? My understanding is the Deps stays pretty high up in the column so if that’s correct then the slow sink gan craft would probably pair better? That’s really the question I think.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sat Jan 01, 2022 6:00 am

I haven't fished the SlideSwimmer 175 much, only the 250. Similarly with the Jointed Claw, I actually throw the 230 more than the 178. Regardless, the swim on the Slide Swimmer and Jointed Claw are different, so I'd still make your decision based on the target waters. Sounds like you're talking yourself into the slow sink :)
Cal, Managing Editor

jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jerkbait22 » Sat Jan 01, 2022 6:41 am

Cal wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 6:00 am
I haven't fished the SlideSwimmer 175 much, only the 250. Similarly with the Jointed Claw, I actually throw the 230 more than the 178. Regardless, the swim on the Slide Swimmer and Jointed Claw are different, so I'd still make your decision based on the target waters. Sounds like you're talking yourself into the slow sink :)
Really I’m trying to talk myself into getting one or the other and not both the SS and Floater, lol. I haven’t fished any of these baits yet since I’m getting into swimbaits this year and won’t be able to fish until late March being in the northeast. So I figured one each of the Deps and gan craft would be a good start for glides. I’ll probably mostly be fishing these off/down points, along grass edges and over the top of submerged vegetation.

Fishing over the top of submerged vegetation I want something to run about 2 feet or less and then on grass edges and points I think depth of 5-8 feet would probably be ideal.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:18 am

jerkbait22 wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 6:41 am
Really I’m trying to talk myself into getting one or the other and not both the SS and Floater, lol.
You do realize where you've started this discussion, right? ;)
Cal, Managing Editor

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:32 pm

Cal wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:18 am
jerkbait22 wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 6:41 am
Really I’m trying to talk myself into getting one or the other and not both the SS and Floater, lol.
You do realize where you've started this discussion, right? ;)
I was thinking the same thing! :lol: In true TT fashion, get one of each.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

GOOD YEAR 71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GOOD YEAR 71 » Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:51 pm

^^^ to Cal and hoohoorjoo you listen... Just buy it, man. But since you ask of vs 175SS I'll assume you have one. If so, then get the 178F. Proceed from there. Shift is a newer addition to Craft lineup, I have only one, barely even toyed with it yet. But just looking at it you can see it's a more 'specific' use bait than 178 which is quite well rounded. Plus you can always use lead strips to turn the F into SS in a pinch if that's what you want. Get the 178F
PEACE