Jackall Gantarel Chibi

Come share your passion, experiences, and questions for the latest fishing craze to take the Nation... you asked for it, and here it is.. TT's SWIMBAIT FORUM!
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Jackall Gantarel Chibi

Post by LowRange » Fri May 13, 2022 6:39 am

This is the JDM version of the Gantrael Jr i think. What a neat bait. I threw it for the 1st time last night and got my 1st swimbait fish. Bass crusing the shallows at sundown looking for crappie and bluegills key in on this thing. I was using a burn and stop retrieve with the occasional jerk and the bass were attacking it. It draws strikes but only bigger fish would commit. I had a lot of swipes and fish hooked on the outside like a jerkbait bite. In hindsight I should have let or pause more. Good beginner bait to get some confidence in big baits and at 1.5 oz it does not need an expensive dedicated rod. I was throwing on a 72H Hyuga which is a H+ but your average mag deep crank stick in the $100 range could handle it. I was fishing out of a kayak so the 7'2" Hyuga was ideal.
Last edited by LowRange on Fri May 13, 2022 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Preston
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Jackall Gantrael Chibi

Post by Preston » Fri May 13, 2022 8:24 am

It's cool bait for sure. Especially for the price. Got a couple Jr's on sale a while back for like $22 each.

Is there a difference on the JDM version. Different paint job? That looks similar to the Scale Gill color I have. Maybe some variations in color but very similar.

Preston

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri May 13, 2022 10:18 am

PursuitFishing wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 8:24 am
It's cool bait for sure. Especially for the price. Got a couple Jr's on sale a while back for like $22 each.

Is there a difference on the JDM version. Different paint job? That looks similar to the Scale Gill color I have. Maybe some variations in color but very similar.

Preston
It's a color that I haven't seen in the Jr. Its basically the gill scale color but not quite as flashy and not scale paint patterns. I picked up a matte black one too for night fishing. Paying a premium for these ar $39 a piece but the Jr's are out of stock. They have a good fleeing, panicked sunfish action. Also nabbed the trout version of these, the dowzswimmer, with the same diving fins in 3.6 oz. Right now is big bait time and I have faith in these Jackall floater divers. They're not your average gide bait and seem to trigger fish into reacting in ways glide baits do not for me.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Jackall Gantarel Chibi

Post by LowRange » Fri May 13, 2022 10:41 am

That one is "HL Bluegill" I think this is or used to be a color in the Jr too.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Fri May 13, 2022 10:47 am

PursuitFishing wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 8:24 am

Is there a difference on the JDM version. Different paint job?
Just the finishes.. there are some finishes not offered stateside.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri May 13, 2022 8:45 pm

I love this bait

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat May 14, 2022 9:01 pm

I've broken it. Both of the diving fins are gone. I have been tossing it around docks and have been super careful but did bonk it off a dock once. This must have made the fins fly off. They appear to be removable. I guess to make it a wake bait? I'll probably do this to my black on and also add a tiny blade to the tail as a night fishing bait. I do want to restore this one to its former glory so I found replacement fins from an Australian site and paid $39 for 10 before shipping. Waiting on a shipping quote now. The bait did still swim and caught one fish missing the diving fins. The baits still work but just become a wake bait or a few inch diver.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:18 pm

Turns out this Savage Gear 5" 3D Bluegill fishes and acts just like the Gantarel Jr except it slow sinks, is somewhat more weedless, more stealthy and makes for a softer entry into the water. It has that same panicked S swim with glide. It won't glide to the side as much and glides more straight but it has a roll to the S swim that adds a "flickering" to the swim. It triggers bass the same way the Gantarel Jr does. I get bit more on the move than on the pause with this one which is the opposite of what I have found with the Gantarel Jr. Hookup and keeping fished pinned to poor but its gets BIT. I think there is a 6" line through so I want to try that next. Another good one is the Berkley Gilly. It's doesn't trigger aggressive strikes likes these two but runs near the surface and has an S swimming motion. Truly weedless and will turn on its side and flounder on the pause. I use the 110 and it gets bit way more but less vicious strikes. Also doesn't filter the little fish the way the other two have for me.

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:02 am

I guess I answered my own question from your other post with that particular bait that thing looks nasty 8-)

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:06 pm

Cristo wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:02 am
I guess I answered my own question from your other post with that particular bait that thing looks nasty 8-)
It's an awesome bait. It's only 2oz so I throw it on my Hyuga 72H. You dont need a crazy big bait stick and I throw it shallow around cover a lot so I prefer a shorter more accurate rod. The ticket for me has been in the evening burning it over shallow weeds. If there is a big bass in there looking up it will hammer this bait. It will trigger a reaction to crush the bait from the fish. It is hard to keep down and wants to run a maybe a foot below the surface at most. I like a 6 or 7 gear reel with a 38 or 36 mm spool. I think my 36mm 8:1 Zillion HD is too fast for it and makes it wake too much.