Dock skipping bluegill baits?

Come share your passion, experiences, and questions for the latest fishing craze to take the Nation... you asked for it, and here it is.. TT's SWIMBAIT FORUM!
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Dock skipping bluegill baits?

Post by LowRange » Sun May 15, 2022 8:13 pm

I have this idea in my head to do this. Reasoning is that my daylight bite is skipping wacky worms and shaky heads under docks and my low light bite is crusing bluegill baits along and between docks. Bass just want to kill these poor guys this time of year despite it being a shad based system IF they will come out of their hidey holes which they don't want to do durring the day unless overcast. So why not send in bluegill baits under the docks? These are the fixed footing wooden kind the boat lifts slide into. I've got a Live Target paddle tail top hook and a pack of Berkely Gillies to try. Might try a 3/4 oz Dark Sleeper too if it will skip without shooting up in the air. The 1/2 oz likes to do that but the 3/8 oz is well behaved.

What are your bluegill dock skipping baits?

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Dock skipping bluegill baits?

Post by bronzefly » Mon May 16, 2022 6:14 am

I can't wait for the new Megabass Sleeper Gill... TT will have them in stock in limited numbers pretty soon and will make an announcement here and on social media. I had the chance to fish this bait when I fished all the new US Destroyer rods a few weeks back. It is going to be an amazing dock skipping bait among other applications.

www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon May 16, 2022 9:40 am

bronzefly wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 6:14 am
I can't wait for the new Megabass Sleeper Gill... TT will have them in stock in limited numbers pretty soon and will make an announcement here and on social media. I had the chance to fish this bait when I fished all the new US Destroyer rods a few weeks back. It is going to be an amazing dock skipping bait among other applications.
I forgot about these. Savage Gear has a similar bait but the only thing holding me back on those has been my experience skipping the heavier Dark Sleepers. The 3/8 oz is a skipping champion but the 1/2 oz will bounce up do weird things when skipping. The size I want the Savage Gear gill Dark Sleeper types baits but it is too heavy and it might act weird when skipping. I'll have to get one to try out while I wait on the new Megabass baits.
Last edited by LowRange on Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue May 17, 2022 1:59 am

How is the hookup on those Megabass Gill baits? Assuming we will all find out pretty quick anyways, but for me that is one of the few things that holds back full body weedless gill imitations.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue May 17, 2022 6:11 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 1:59 am
How is the hookup on those Megabass Gill baits? Assuming we will all find out pretty quick anyways, but for me that is one of the few things that holds back full body weedless gill imitations.
If it is anything like Dark Sleepers then they are great. Fish try to eat them and you stick them in the roof of the mouth almost always unless they are picking it off a bed or just trying to kill it.
Last edited by LowRange on Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue May 17, 2022 2:36 pm

LowRange wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 6:11 am
DirtyD64 wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 1:59 am
If it is anything like Dark Sleepers then they are great. Fish try to eat them and your stick them in the roof of the mouth almost always unless they are picking it off a bed or just trying to kill it.
You know the small cheap STORM bluegill/sunfish lures? I actually caught like a 5lb on one years ago. Was throwing it on a 7'6"M spinning rod, removed the bottom treble, and got a good one. Only fish I ever caught on one of those lures, the rest deteriorated.

rubs96
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rubs96 » Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:21 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 2:36 pm
[quote=LowRange post_id=708736 time=<a href="tel:1652793089">1652793089</a> user_id=17476]
[quote=DirtyD64 post_id=708731 time=<a href="tel:1652777974">1652777974</a> user_id=19265]
If it is anything like Dark Sleepers then they are great. Fish try to eat them and your stick them in the roof of the mouth almost always unless they are picking it off a bed or just trying to kill it.
[/quote]

You know the small cheap STORM bluegill/sunfish lures? I actually caught like a 5lb on one years ago. Was throwing it on a 7'6"M spinning rod, removed the bottom treble, and got a good one. Only fish I ever caught on one of those lures, the rest deteriorated.
[/quote]

I still have two of those baits and have brought them with me to small gravel pit ponds but always seem to forget to tie them on!

oops
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by oops » Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:40 am

Can't speak for actual bluegill baits but I cannot recommend the 2.4" Dark Sleeper strongly enough for skipping, especially if you use spinning gear. The baits are so small and compact that along with the head weighting, they skip like a smooth rock across the surface. It's like they were made for skipping honestly. And those snack size 2-3 inch bluegill that bass eat up don't have a terribly different profile than the 2.4" Dark Sleeper.

For casting gear, without a doubt I'd be trying the Sleeper Gill if/when you get your hands on some. From what I've seen, they're nice skippers as well.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:19 pm

oops wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:40 am
Can't speak for actual bluegill baits but I cannot recommend the 2.4" Dark Sleeper strongly enough for skipping, especially if you use spinning gear. The baits are so small and compact that along with the head weighting, they skip like a smooth rock across the surface. It's like they were made for skipping honestly. And those snack size 2-3 inch bluegill that bass eat up don't have a terribly different profile than the 2.4" Dark Sleeper.

For casting gear, without a doubt I'd be trying the Sleeper Gill if/when you get your hands on some. From what I've seen, they're nice skippers as well.
I love the 3/8 oz bait for docks skipping but the same size but heavier 1/2 oz I find to be terrible. It will bounce up feet in the air on the 1st hit and get into boats or fly over elevated cross bars. It doesn't want to stick to the surface and skip like the 3/8 oz bait does. That one skips beautifully.

Vooden
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Vooden » Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:17 am

Agreed, on the Sleeper Gill, very fun bait.