Whats Your Swimbait Remedy for this

Come share your passion, experiences, and questions for the latest fishing craze to take the Nation... you asked for it, and here it is.. TT's SWIMBAIT FORUM!
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Whats Your Swimbait Remedy for this

Post by goldrod » Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:51 am

Speaking about soft plastic swimbaits.

I used to fish the Gambler big ez but have since gone to the Boostar. I've tried a variety of swimbaits like most but I found that swimbaits like the boostar and jackall rhythm wave have more of a seducing whobble than a tail thump. What I have discovered is that the shake close to the surface is money all day, where as the thump is hit or miss. The problem is the ( lets call them shakers) shakers you will get one maybe two fish on. The nose of the bait is just too soft but if you switch to a big ez you dont get the same action. yes you will catch fish but imho the size isn't the same. I've used cps springs but i think there has to be a better option that doesnt rip out the face of the bait.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Preston
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Whats Your Swimbait Remedy for this

Post by Preston » Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:08 am

My solution, it is what it is. When a bait gets ripped up catching fish, good problem! Especially if it's a "shaker" an you get a couple good fish. I also started pouring my own swimbaits, so that helps.

Honestly if someone could promise me that a swimbait would only catch fish over 4lbs, but the swimbait would only last for one fish, I'd buy em all day. :)

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:38 am

PursuitFishing wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:08 am
My solution, it is what it is. When a bait gets ripped up catching fish, good problem! Especially if it's a "shaker" an you get a couple good fish. I also started pouring my own swimbaits, so that helps.

Honestly if someone could promise me that a swimbait would only catch fish over 4lbs, but the swimbait would only last for one fish, I'd buy em all day. :)
Amen
Good perspective and i overlooked that.
Sometimes it’s good to have good problems
I have been fishing this place for a while and these bites are monstrosities
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Preston
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Preston » Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:27 pm

goldrod wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:38 am
PursuitFishing wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:08 am

Amen
Good perspective and i overlooked that.
Sometimes it’s good to have good problems
I have been fishing this place for a while and these bites are monstrosities
Sounds great! get more baits destroyed. \:D/

shadybanks
Angler
Angler

Post by shadybanks » Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:41 pm

Have you tried making the softer baits into line-throughs? That can make most swimbaits last a lot longer
and usually increases your hook up ratio too. They work great especially if you are keeping the bait up higher
because they're not weedless or wood friendly.

One other thing is a lot of good expensive swimbait hooks come with too small or crappy screw locks. If they're not CPS springs I ditch them and also up-size the CPS springs to a large or XL if they will fit. For some reason even Owner uses hitchhiker style on some of their Beast hooks and a medium CPS on some of their other swimbait hooks, it makes a big difference when you go to a large or XL.

I did see on a ICAST preview that Gammy is coming out with a double wire screw lock..." The Double Down". It doesn't have a centering pin but having two wires might give it more bite for soft baits

Like most soft plastics it seems you sacrifice durability for bites.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:14 am

shadybanks wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:41 pm
Have you tried making the softer baits into line-throughs? That can make most swimbaits last a lot longer
and usually increases your hook up ratio too. They work great especially if you are keeping the bait up higher
because they're not weedless or wood friendly.

One other thing is a lot of good expensive swimbait hooks come with too small or crappy screw locks. If they're not CPS springs I ditch them and also up-size the CPS springs to a large or XL if they will fit. For some reason even Owner uses hitchhiker style on some of their Beast hooks and a medium CPS on some of their other swimbait hooks, it makes a big difference when you go to a large or XL.

I did see on a ICAST preview that Gammy is coming out with a double wire screw lock..." The Double Down". It doesn't have a centering pin but having two wires might give it more bite for soft baits

Like most soft plastics it seems you sacrifice durability for bites.
I saw the Gammy’s as well
Can’t wait to get to try them out. Thanks for your suggestions, I saw the line thru attachment on THUT website but haven’t put it in my cart.
Maybe I’ll try some soon

sbd3
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by sbd3 » Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:29 pm

Reinforce the spring by running a small piece of wire or toothpick through it and clip it flush to the plastic.

shadybanks
Angler
Angler

Post by shadybanks » Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:46 am

That's a great idea sbd3, don't know why I never thought of that. When I fish swimbaits on jigheads I run a toothpick through the side of the bait at the beginning of the bend of the hook and snip off the ends. It really locks the bait down and makes the baits last a lot longer.

Goldrod, I've tried the Valley Hill Through Pipes and they work good but there are many cheaper or free ways to do it too. What's cool is when you get a system dialed in for a bait it saves a lot of time and you can pre make several baits in advance.

Here's some links that member Jeffbro999 posted years ago on here. He rigs up a Rhythm Wave in a pretty cool way.

https://youtu.be/gxSbAm55a8w

https://youtu.be/SlaJ-3TAfZ4

oops
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by oops » Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:28 am

Super glue is your best friend.
Last edited by oops on Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:29 pm

goldrod wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:51 am
My solution is to throw a hard bait :lol:
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:46 pm

This :P

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:52 pm

Cal wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:29 pm
goldrod wrote:
My solution is to throw a hard bait :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:24 pm

goldrod wrote:

I used to fish the Gambler big ez but have since gone to the Boostar. I've tried a variety of swimbaits like most but I found that swimbaits like the boostar and jackall rhythm wave have more of a seducing whobble than a tail thump. What I have discovered is that the shake close to the surface is money all day, where as the thump is hit or miss. The problem is the ( lets call them shakers) shakers you will get one maybe two fish on. The nose of the bait is just too soft but if you switch to a big ez you dont get the same action. yes you will catch fish but imho the size isn't the same. I've used cps springs but i think there has to be a better option that doesnt rip out the face of the bait.
Use a twist lock and open the clip up so the hook easily slides out. This keeps the coil stuck in the plastic and after every fish you just re-insert the hook eye into the open clip. You want it so that even sligh pressure makes the eye pop out. This bait has seen dozens of fish and went from maybe one or two orignially.

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:41 pm

Tasty specimen Low 8-)

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:52 pm

Cristo wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:41 pm
Tasty specimen Low 8-)
:lol: it's a medium sized fish for what that bait can produce. Something about the Gilly attracts the big girls. Even out side of the spawn season in a shad based lake. The 110 Gilly gets bit by all sizes but its a dusk/dawn bait for me unless overcast. It only runs about a foot under the surface so thr fish have got to be willing to push up to the surface to feed.