First Swimbait Combo

Come share your passion, experiences, and questions for the latest fishing craze to take the Nation... you asked for it, and here it is.. TT's SWIMBAIT FORUM!
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: First Swimbait Combo

Post by LowRange » Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:12 pm

I would plan on figuring out what baits you want to throw and then getting a good rod for those baits rather than buy a clumbsy monster stick and only throw 1-3 oz baits. Also helps if the rod has some versatility I find. A big single hook and swimbait rod or a mag deep crank and treble hook big bait rod for example. Maybe even a flip/pitch/big bait allarounder if you don't mind punching with a 14" handle.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:33 pm

LowRange wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:12 pm
I would plan on figuring out what baits you want to throw and then getting a good rod for those baits rather than buy a clumbsy monster stick and only throw 1-3 oz baits. Also helps if the rod has some versatility I find. A big single hook and swimbait rod or a mag deep crank and treble hook big bait rod for example. Maybe even a flip/pitch/big bait allarounder if you don't mind punching with a 14" handle.
Most of the higher priced Daiwa swimbait sticks have a regular taper. I do understand that the baits would be on the smaller end, but this is all new territory to me. Again, I will need something to strive toward in the future, for now just looking for a capable rod.
I want to throw A-rigs and big Keitech's mainly, what nicer rods would you suggest? I'd still be okay with trying the DX and getting a nicer, better one later. For $100 a spare meat stick wouldn't be bad for someone else to use for big baits one day.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:02 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:33 pm
LowRange wrote:
Most of the higher priced Daiwa swimbait sticks have a regular taper. I do understand that the baits would be on the smaller end, but this is all new territory to me. Again, I will need something to strive toward in the future, for now just looking for a capable rod.
I want to throw A-rigs and big Keitech's mainly, what nicer rods would you suggest? I'd still be okay with trying the DX and getting a nicer, better one later. For $100 a spare meat stick wouldn't be bad for someone else to use for big baits one day.
The St Croix 710 rods look interesting as all around heavy bait use rods. A rigs, flipping/pitching (if you don't mind the longer handle) and swim baits up to 3 oz.

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewstcroixbac710hf.html

I'd move up above the Bass X line to ditch the stainless guides and pick up some Savage Gear line through 8" trout, 3d Bluegill 5", Megabass Magdraft and decent glide bait to try out. If swimbaits aren't yet thing then you still have a competent all around heavy bait stick with a long handle.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:41 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Dobyns has a Fury FR 795SB, 1-5oz, designed for “Swimbaits, Glidebaits, Umbrella Rigs”. They have that same kinda rod in the Champion XP line, DC 795SB, if you want to move up a couple levels.

I haven’t fished either of these Dobyns rods but they sound like a good choice for what you’re looking to do. I do have two heavier Champion XP rods (806 and 807) and they’re good SB rods. And (as mentioned before) I the use Destroyer Mark 48 (rated 1-5oz) to throw the stuff you’re thinking of throwing (that Mark 48 is my A-rig rod, as well). I don't think I’d hesitate to buy one of these 1-5oz Dobyns.

Depends kn whether you have a predisposition towards or against Dobyns, I guess, they tend to evoke strong emotions in people…

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:24 am

LowRange wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:02 am
DirtyD64 wrote:
LowRange wrote:
The St Croix 710 rods look interesting as all around heavy bait use rods. A rigs, flipping/pitching (if you don't mind the longer handle) and swim baits up to 3 oz.

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewstcroixbac710hf.html

I'd move up above the Bass X line to ditch the stainless guides and pick up some Savage Gear line through 8" trout, 3d Bluegill 5", Megabass Magdraft and decent glide bait to try out. If swimbaits aren't yet thing then you still have a competent all around heavy bait stick with a long handle.
Yeah I like that rod alright. The 7'10"Heavy, fast with a 20" handle... Seems perfect. I don't see myself going much over 3oz, assuming that the 7.8" FAT and 8" Easy Shiner don't outweigh that when rigged. Could also use that rod for heavier football jigs deep in the lakes around here and maybe even some Carolina rig action too. I don't have to have a multipurpose stick, but that is a bonus. Only reason I would consider the DX over this would be price and a better warranty.
Drakestar wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:41 pm
DirtyD64 wrote:
Dobyns has a Fury FR 795SB, 1-5oz, designed for “Swimbaits, Glidebaits, Umbrella Rigs”. They have that same kinda rod in the Champion XP line, DC 795SB, if you want to move up a couple levels.

I haven’t fished either of these Dobyns rods but they sound like a good choice for what you’re looking to do. I do have two heavier Champion XP rods (806 and 807) and they’re good SB rods. And (as mentioned before) I the use Destroyer Mark 48 (rated 1-5oz) to throw the stuff you’re thinking of throwing (that Mark 48 is my A-rig rod, as well). I don't think I’d hesitate to buy one of these 1-5oz Dobyns.

Depends kn whether you have a predisposition towards or against Dobyns, I guess, they tend to evoke strong emotions in people…
I have never owned a Dobyns, had a few friends really enjoy them. I also had a few of those same friends get away from them too. Mainly over fragile rods and an expensive warranty that essentially has you buy another one at 2/3 price. I don't know the specifics, but you pay an incrementally higher fee depending on model and also have a roughly $30 processing/shipping fee. Again I will say nothing bad about them, I have only used them a few times and enjoyed them. Knew a guy who had a 7'MH Sierra and gave that rod hell, still going strong. I don't think I would be scared that the Dobyns Fury rod would fail, but I do have concerns over the guides and components. Same thing goes for the St. Croix Bass X, seen a few reviews stating that their reel seats fail...

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:46 am

The Daiwa Kage 79MHRB "A-Rig" rod is a great option here. It's in the zone with 1 to 3 oz baits, handles baits like the Magdraft nicely, and I also throw glides like the Deps 175 on it quite a bit. Mine is paired with a Tatula 300 and the combo feels and fishes great. Like the entire Kage series, I think this rod fishes well above its price point and is a clear standout in the line up. I've set up a bunch of guys with this combo and have received a lot of positive feedback.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:14 pm

bronzefly wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:46 am
The Daiwa Kage 79MHRB "A-Rig" rod is a great option here. It's in the zone with 1 to 3 oz baits, handles baits like the Magdraft nicely, and I also throw glides like the Deps 175 on it quite a bit. Mine is paired with a Tatula 300 and the combo feels and fishes great. Like the entire Kage series, I think this rod fishes well above its price point and is a clear standout in the line up. I've set up a bunch of guys with this combo and have received a lot of positive feedback.
I was actually gonna call and ask about this rod last Friday but I was too late. TackleTrap also has the Tatula 300 in a 5.3 which was another item I wanted. I wanted the 5.3 because I didn't want it to be underpowered and assumed the 28 IPT was plenty even for big jig hook style lures. The 6.3 and 7.1 are just so fast and I am already bad about reeling too quickly.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:51 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:14 pm

I was actually gonna call and ask about this rod last Friday but I was too late. TackleTrap also has the Tatula 300 in a 5.3 which was another item I wanted. I wanted the 5.3 because I didn't want it to be underpowered and assumed the 28 IPT was plenty even for big jig hook style lures. The 6.3 and 7.1 are just so fast and I am already bad about reeling too quickly.
Feel free to email me directly anytime at gary@tackletrap.com. I’ll be happy to go over the details on this one. It’s one of the first Kage rods I started using and really enjoy it. Sine I use LH, I have the 6 ratio on it, but have disciplined myself on the slowing down thing over the years, otherwise I’d have the 5 ratio P model, but alas, it’s reserved for those oddball RH reel guys! :lol:
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:05 pm

bronzefly wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:51 pm
DirtyD64 wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:14 pm

Feel free to email me directly anytime at gary@tackletrap.com. I’ll be happy to go over the details on this one. It’s one of the first Kage rods I started using and really enjoy it. Sine I use LH, I have the 6 ratio on it, but have disciplined myself on the slowing down thing over the years, otherwise I’d have the 5 ratio P model, but alas, it’s reserved for those oddball RH reel guys! :lol:
Well I am left handed so technically fishing the same as you? I don't switch hands every time I cast like 90% of right handers who fish right hand reels. I will send an email to learn a bit more.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:26 pm

Threw some big Keitech Easy Shiners below the dam today. Threw them with the old Tatula Type R 8.1 on 50lb braid using a 7'6"MH Lew's Magnum Bass rod (around a $150 rod, more of a MH+ rated from 1/2-1oz). Thing was it threw the 8" Easy Shiner w/ an Owner Beast 8/0 3/8oz really easy. Makes me really wonder if I need a 300 size reel and 8'Heavy meat stick to throw the Impact Fats either. I wonder if the Zillion TWS would work for the baits I mentioned...