Cortland Endurance

Tips on tippets and more. Come share your secrets about the art of fly fishing or help fellow anglers immerse themselves in this escapist's technique.
Superduperman
Angler
Angler

Cortland Endurance

Post by Superduperman » Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:31 am

G'day guys,
I'm keen on taking up Salt water fly fishing, and i was just wondering if a Cortland Endurance (9wt size) would be suitable?
Cheers
Tom

Stan Wright
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Cortland Endurance

Post by Stan Wright » Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:15 pm

What size fish are you going after? What size flys are you going to be using? In Alaska we were using 7 and 8 wt rods in the creeks for salmon. For the smaller trout, a 5 wt rod was over kill.

Here in Hawaii most anglers use 8 we for the bonefish. Lots of wind and the fish run 6 to 12 pounds.

At Christmas Island the bonefish average 1 to 4 pounds, so I'm going to use a 5 or 6wt. If I go for the GT, a 10 weight seems small for a 25 to 80 pound fish. You also need the heavier rods for the big bulky flys and strong wind.

I would talk to other fly fishermen who fish for the same kind of fish your going after. Even try out some different size rods to see what you like. Don't know where you live, but taking a fly fishing class will give you access to lots of different rods to try out. No need to break the bank if your just getting started in fly fishing. Buy what you can afford.

On the other hand..... when it comes to fishing. the more money you spend on your tackle, the better quality stuff you get. I got my first rods by mail order. $99 kit. My first "good rod" I bought used from a fly fishing guide. I was fishing with a guy recently and let him use my rods. He couldn't believe the difference between his rod and mine. His cost $100, mine cost $600. There is a lot more difference in the rods than the price. LOL

Stan
Attachments
DSCF0307 (Small).JPG
DSCF0307 (Small).JPG (77.39 KiB) Viewed 3168 times