good fly reel for trout?

Tips on tippets and more. Come share your secrets about the art of fly fishing or help fellow anglers immerse themselves in this escapist's technique.
klackrus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

good fly reel for trout?

Post by klackrus » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:48 am

im looking to buy a fly reel sometime in the future but im really a newbie flyfisherman but i still want the best troutreel that i can buy. what would you buy if you wanted the best possible troutreel?

AndZ
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: good fly reel for trout?

Post by AndZ » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:17 am

I would get a Waterworks-Lamson ULA - ULA Force with drag (completely sealed) or ULA Purist with click&pawl... They're some of the best and lighest around... IMHO.

Other option would be Ross - they make such fine products... Evolution model is very nice!

I've got great luck with both companies! Indeed, they make excellent products.

klackrus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by klackrus » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:54 am

thanks for that tips the Ross Evolution looks really promissing and it will probably be my next buy :D

tibor01
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tibor01 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:14 pm

I would have a look at the Abels. I have 2 of them and they are simply awesome. You can also get them in custom anodised colors. They are beautifully made but they are expensive. But hey, if you want the best!!!!!

davej
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by davej » Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:49 am

tibor01 wrote:I would have a look at the Abels. I have 2 of them and they are simply awesome. You can also get them in custom anodised colors. They are beautifully made but they are expensive. But hey, if you want the best!!!!!
I agree... I have 3 Super abeles a R&R Evo and a Charlton 8350 all reels are top notch and perform flawlessly (so far). It's up to you which one you prefer at this level.. If your going to be fighting bigger fish in fast water I would go with the abel for the drag system. If your going to be hitting the little local streams I would go with the R&R Evo.. they can take a beating.. I have tripped a few times in the river and had it totally submerged bounced off the rocks and slapped around a bit in the bottom of the float boat and that reel is a work horse.. I like to stick with Dull and dark colors on my reels.. I feel the shiny chrome glare can spook the fish if the sun is shining on it.. Also I hate the loud clicking noise on the wind so I like reels that have a silent or muffled click on the retrieve.

What type of rod are you looking for?

what type of conditions are going to be most common for you? (i.e.. small narrow streams with smaller fish, tight cover or bigger wider rivers) those answers will help you choose the right weight rod and reel..

You are going to love it.. very addicting...
http://www.dealtackler.com/T3Forum/view ... hp?t=10094

Dave Jackson

klackrus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by klackrus » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:47 am

im going to buy a reel that i can fish in boyh lakes and streamy waters. the fish im after weigh about 0,5 to 5 kilos or even more but very rarley more then 5 kilos

davej
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by davej » Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:23 pm

klackrus wrote:im going to buy a reel that i can fish in boyh lakes and streamy waters. the fish im after weigh about 0,5 to 5 kilos or even more but very rarley more then 5 kilos
That's a big spread... 11lbs is a big fish on a fly rod.. Which I would recommend a 7# 8# 9# .... however that rod will be like fishing with a broom stick when catching 1.1 lb fish.. I would consider two set ups to start with.. since it is very hard to present a soft dry fly using these bigger rods, also they are made for long casts.. tough to use in smaller streams.

What type of fish are you targeting?

klackrus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by klackrus » Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:54 am

yeah i am going to buy two setups 5# and 7# i think. but there will be more setups after a while :D

davej
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by davej » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:58 am

klackrus wrote:yeah i am going to buy two setups 5# and 7# i think. but there will be more setups after a while :D

Nice.. tell us what you end up choosing and Make sure you post some pics of the catches. Good Luck

Dave