Christmas Island 2006

Tips on tippets and more. Come share your secrets about the art of fly fishing or help fellow anglers immerse themselves in this escapist's technique.
Stan Wright
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Christmas Island 2006

Post by Stan Wright » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:48 pm

The fishing is better today than it was 25 years ago when we first started going there. They have no kill rules for bonefish and GT now. Catch & release only areas, no fishing areas, and a 5 fish a day limit if you do want to keep some of the other kinds of fish.

The big GT have really made a comeback. The 40 to 80 pounders are everywhere.
If you can't catch one in 10 casts, something is wrong. It was that good. We also caught ahi, wahoo, kawakawa, aku, sweet lips, red trout, and even a sailfish.

The bonefishing was better than ever. Each evening before dinner we would gather on the lanai for pupu's and drinks to plan the next days fishing. Teannaki, the head guide, would ask: "What kind of fish do you want to catch? How Big?" If you wanted the bonefish over 6 pounds you went to the flats where the big ones are. One guy got an 11 pounder. The water was deeper, you caught less fish, but they were big. I chose the 1 to 2 pound size. Lots of fun on a light 5 wt fly rod.

One day I ask to catch papio. The guide took us to where the rising tide was spilling over a gravel bar. The bluefin and whites were every where. I would cast at a 3 pounder and a 1 pound one would race in and take the fly. Then a school of queen fish would come by and everyone would hook up. Fish jumping all over the place. After an hour of non stop action I had to sit down and rest. I returned to that place 3 times that week.

The best part was the new Villages fishing lodge. It's only been open 6 months and can handle 8 anglers a week. Two to a room. Air conditioning, and lots of hot water. It's located 30 minutes from the airport on the lagoon side of the island on the way to London. The boats..... ( 2 anglers, a guide, and boatman ) the boats pick you up each morning right on the beach at the lodge, and in 5 minutes your at a bonefish flat catching fish.

The food was all 5 Star. We started with a big breakfast. Eggs to order, ham, bacon, French toast, cereal, fresh fruit, juice. Then we made sandwiches for lunch. Water, soda, and beer was in the ice chest on the boat. Dinners were great. Sashimi every night. Usually a choice of a fish or meat dish. Lobster, giant clam, Mantas Shrimp, tako, pork, chicken, and fish. I can't say enough about the food.

Several evenings there was local entertainment, dancers & singing. The people are still friendly as ever.

Sean, at Nervous Water fly shop made all the booking arrangements for us. With tips and bar bill, I still came in under $3000. Not bad for air fare, ground transportation, hotel, all meals, guide & boat every day..... and some great fishing. We're already planning our next trip.

Aloha,
Stan
Attachments
X1.jpg
X1.jpg (45.98 KiB) Viewed 7179 times
X11.jpg
X11.jpg (52.67 KiB) Viewed 7179 times
X3.jpg
X3.jpg (71.4 KiB) Viewed 7179 times
X32.jpg
X32.jpg (58.29 KiB) Viewed 7179 times
X35.JPG
X35.JPG (38.75 KiB) Viewed 7179 times

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Christmas Island 2006

Post by mhood » Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:15 am

WOW!!!! Paradise for sure. Are the giant crabs a problem? :P
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

Stan Wright
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Stan Wright » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:53 am

Crabs are not a problem. This one, about the size of a baseball was rather cooperative. LOL

The birds could cause a problem every once in a while. Especially if they sneak up behind when your casting.

The Mantis shrimp taste better than lobster. But their claws are like serated rasor blades. Careful.

Forgot to add that the trip is 7 days. Air Pacific 737 jets leave Honolulu on Tues, and return the following Tues. New planes, fantistic service. Meal, a Movie, and the flight is less than 3 hours.

Fish live in the most beautiful places.

Aloha,
Stan
Attachments
X36.jpg
X36.jpg (43.3 KiB) Viewed 7147 times
X30.JPG
X30.JPG (31.56 KiB) Viewed 7147 times
X2.jpg
X2.jpg (95.88 KiB) Viewed 7147 times
X38.jpg
X38.jpg (49.5 KiB) Viewed 7147 times

kbookert
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by kbookert » Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:11 pm

Great stuff! Thanks!
If you do what you’ve always done, you’ll get what you’ve always gotten.

Phouvieng
Angler
Angler

Post by Phouvieng » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:33 pm

:shock: -- Those pics are absolutely amazing! Great stuff Stan, looks like you had a good time. How was the fight and better yet, the landing on that bird? =))))

SenkoSnack808
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by SenkoSnack808 » Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:23 pm

For some odd reason I've never looked at this post. I want to try my hand at a bone with a fly rod, seems like the bread and butter of fly fishing accomplishment. Nice pictures Stan, I am jealous right now.

Corey

Stan Wright
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Stan Wright » Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:42 pm

If you've never caught a bone fish, Christmas is a great place to start. There are loads of 1 to 3 pounders and the guides are eager to teach you how to do it. Catching a bunch of fish is a good way to hone your casting and fishing skill. Doesn't hurt your ego eather. LOL
Stan

tonym
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tonym » Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:05 pm

Stan.
B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L pics. I wish I were there.
What kind of shrimp is that in the picture? I ask because I used to raise peacock shrimp and it looks similar aside from the color.
BlackRock Custom Fishing Rods.
http://www.brooklynbillstackleshop.com

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:13 pm

I think those are Mantis Shrimp TonyM ... quite dangerous actually. The claws on some variety of Mantis Shrimp have enough force to break, if not cut off your finger (from what I've heard).

From Wikipedia:

"Mantis shrimp or stomatopods are marine crustaceans belonging to the order Stomatopoda, one part of the class Malacostraca, the largest class of crustaceans. They are neither shrimps nor mantids, but receive their name purely from the physical resemblance to both the terrestrial praying mantis and the shrimp. They may grow to a length of 20–40 cm [1], although most species are considerably smaller, and their carapace covers only the rear part of the head and the first three segments of the thorax. Mantis shrimp appear in a variety of colours, from rather dull browns to stunning neon.

Called "sea locusts" by ancient Assyrians, and now sometimes referred to as "thumb splitters" by modern divers — because of the relative ease the creature has in mutilating small appendages — mantis shrimp sport powerful claws, formed like jackknives, that they use to attack and kill prey by spearing, stunning or dismemberment. Some pet mantis shrimp have managed to break through their double-paned aquarium glass with a single strike from this weapon."

Stan Wright
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Stan Wright » Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:32 pm

Good report on the Mantas Shrimp. They don't make good aquarium pets because they break the glass .... think their reflection is another shrimp and attack. Tests done on that little "hammer" thing they use to break clams and stuff (aquarium glass) equaled the force of a 22 bullet.

Boy they sure are good to eat.... better than lobster (which we ate twice that week)
LOL
Stan

tonym
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tonym » Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:15 pm

Nah. Their OK as long as you keep them in a tank larger than 20g. I have heard of reports of "smashers" breaking glass on 10g. Which is too small for salt critters.
Head over to reefcentral and check out the info on Mantis shrimp. One particular article is worth looking up on the "Adventures of Tim". funny stuff. 8-)
BlackRock Custom Fishing Rods.
http://www.brooklynbillstackleshop.com