Difference between saltwater and freshwater flyrods?

Tips on tippets and more. Come share your secrets about the art of fly fishing or help fellow anglers immerse themselves in this escapist's technique.
Phouvieng
Angler
Angler

Difference between saltwater and freshwater flyrods?

Post by Phouvieng » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:18 am

Good day all! Quite new to the forums, just wanted to say hello before I asked my question.

So my question was concerning fly rods, and if there is a difference between a saltwater rod and a freshwater rod? Theres a specific rod that I am looking at and its labeled as a "saltwater #8" rod. Now, Ive never heard of any such differences, but I thought it would be a good idea to ask just to be on the safe side. Thanks in advance everyone.

backcast
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Difference between saltwater and freshwater flyrods?

Post by backcast » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:20 pm

The two most visually notable differences between fresh / salt rods are the reel seat material and the presence or absence of a small fighting butt at the end of the rod. Usually the transistion point between the two occurs in 6# rods, but this sometimes varies into 7&8 weights. Nearly all salt rods have some type of small fighting butt. Fresh water rods almost never do. Fresh water rods (especially more expensive ones) most commonly have a wood reel seat material. Salt rods almost always have aluminum or carbon fiber seats. Salt rods usually have a full wells grip ("knob" at both ends of cork grip) while fresh water almost always have a tapered or "cigar" end to the grip. Guides may be different, but the grip, reel seat and butt are the main differences.

backcast
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by backcast » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:29 pm

A picture is worth more than a 1000 words. Look at the rods in this link and it will be obvious.
http://www.sageflyfish.com/default.asp?p=56

kingsriverrat
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by kingsriverrat » Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:03 pm

This is serious salt:

http://www.scottflyrod.com/rods_x2s.html

This is serious fresh:

http://www.sageflyfish.com/default.asp?p=24

'Nuff said.

Phouvieng
Angler
Angler

Post by Phouvieng » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:29 pm

Backcast - I appreciate the detailed explanation! After reading that, it was as easy as cake to tell the differences. After reading your response, I looked around a bit more and ended up finding the same rod that I wanted in the freshwater model. Again, I appreciate your response. Since we're on the topic though, is there ever a case where one would prefer a saltwater for freshwater tactics and vice versa? Or does it all boil down to personal preference? Thanks again.

backcast
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by backcast » Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:12 pm

Mostly personal oreference but there are a few specific points. Most important is what size flies you will be trying to cast. This (and the size of fish you expect to catch) dictate more than any other aspect what weight rod you need. I always prefer to use the lightest rod I can for the size fly and fish (wind conditions have to be considered). Casting an 83 all day can really wear you out. A 6# is much better for all day casting, and a 5 even better. However a 5 wt that will not cast the flies you need to use is no good.

Salt is probably not that good for wood reel seats, but they will not deteriorate quickly. Metallic and carbon are more durable in the salt, but this is marginal. Shape of the cork grip is personal, but on larger heavier rods a full wells grip is more ergonomic for me.

Phouvieng
Angler
Angler

Post by Phouvieng » Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:26 am

backast, thanks again, I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out in answering my questions. I think I'm all set now, I'm currently situated with a 6#, but as of late have been mostly targeting bigger fish.. Salmon, steelhead, and bass, so I think a 8# would suit me perfectly, thanks again! Later.