Do modern rods still need paraffin?

Tips on tippets and more. Come share your secrets about the art of fly fishing or help fellow anglers immerse themselves in this escapist's technique.
Outlaws
Angler
Angler

Do modern rods still need paraffin?

Post by Outlaws » Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:54 am

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/begin/101/

I have been reading that site and I think I have learned a lot, but they mention putting paraffin on the male of each farrule before putting them together.

Do modern rods still need that? I got the Scott A2 incase it varies by material. How often do I need to do this?

I googled this stuff but I don't quit get it. Is the whole candle paraffin or just the slimmy outside? Should I just dip my finger in the melted wax to get some?

DUZBASS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Do modern rods still need paraffin?

Post by DUZBASS » Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:06 am

i never use it anymore, i tried it once and actually had a hard time getting the ferules apart which is not good, the wax can also collect sand etc and wind up scratching the blank. Avoid this stuff, especially if the scott you have has spigot ferules. Even with the sleeve over ferules I found no advantage, only problems.
Düzbomb's Custom Jigs www.facebook.com/DUZBOMBS

Questor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Questor » Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:30 am

That's very old advice. Don't do it because it just picks up grit and causes more wear. If the male and female on a modern graphite rod are too loose, tighten them up by applying a bit of rod finish to the male end, and sanding with very fine paper emery cloth as necessary. A coat of past wax might be enough to tighten it up too.

FK
Angler
Angler

Post by FK » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:26 pm

I always use parafin (white candle wax), this was recommended by Scott Rods in the early 1970's. It prevents the locking up of the sections when temperature changes and prevents loose ferrules when casting.

Dirt is not a problem if you wipe down the ferrule with your fingers prior to assembly. The wax should be a very light coating and rubbed in well.

One tip is to start the fitting with the guides rotated 90 degrees out of allignment, twist the sections together as you assemble the rod. Removal is opposite, twist and pull appart.

Regards,
Fred Krow