Lighter Oufit

Tips on tippets and more. Come share your secrets about the art of fly fishing or help fellow anglers immerse themselves in this escapist's technique.
SenkoSnack808
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Lighter Oufit

Post by SenkoSnack808 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:01 pm

While I'm making a trip out west to do some serious fly fishing, I have my 5 weight setup, but no lighter outfit. I am looking for a rod for 18-24 sizes trico's, ant's, and small dries. I want to know what length and weight you would recommend for these apps?

Thanks, Corey

backcast
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Lighter Oufit

Post by backcast » Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:49 am

Depends a lot on the size water you will be fishing. How long / far will you need to cast. I have only fished out west a few times, but there have been times fishing small mountain streams with dries that my 7' 9" - 3 weight was perfect. Flies, and fish were small and it was a great all around match. Most of my casts were under 30', and the average was about 25'.

For those size flies, if you have to cast longer distances a longer 3 or 4 weight may be better - say 8.5 - 9'.

Don't leave your five weight at home. That is what I use most when fishing around home - Arkansas. It can be very useful. I will say that on a trip to Montanta, fishing the Madison river, I stopped using my 5 weight and used a 6 weight I brought just on a whim, and was glad I had it.

Size of the flies you mentioned screams 3 weight to me. Size of the water you will fish should determine length of casts required, and length of rod.
Out west you need to be prepared to step up in rod weight for longer casts, especially if fishing nymphs or streamers.

Hope you have a great time.

DUZBASS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by DUZBASS » Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:28 am

I agree with a lot of what backcast said, if you are fishing rivers, which I assume you are, I dont think you really need another rod for what you want to do. I fish all of the flies you mentioned on my five, but it is a moderate action which really helps for smaller flies. If you really think you want a lighter rod go with a long 4wt. I take a 8'9" 4wt with me for special situations like a trico, midge, or baetis hatch. I find it very difficult to switch between rods many times in a day so I stick with a more moderate 5wt that can do it all. I have even thrown midges and tricos on my soft 6wt when I needed to. Just curious, where are you going? That can make a difference.
Düzbomb's Custom Jigs www.facebook.com/DUZBOMBS

SenkoSnack808
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by SenkoSnack808 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:35 am

Thanks BC, I am gonna bring my 5 weight for sure, I am looking at a 7'9 through 8 foot 3 or 4 weight. I am fishing in yellowstone, in some small creeks like lamar and a where I choose to explore. I have heard they are on the clearer side, and not to large, I can't imagine cast's over 45 50 feet, they will most likely be in the 25-35 foot area. I want the rod for up here on the au sable too, so I am considering a 8 foot 4 weight, do you think the rod will handle larger fish ( foot plus )? I can't wait to begin my trip throughout the park, and fish all day everyday for a week straight! 8-)

Thanks, Corey

DUZBASS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by DUZBASS » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:49 am

senko,

I have fished the yellowstone creeks they are a blast and dont get a ton of pressure. Beautiful wild brookies. If that is what you are fishing get a 8' 4wt. That is my go to size for creeks both out west and in the midwest. And yes they will handle big fish. A 3 might be a little more fun, but it is not near as versatile, and if you need to throw a streamer or a hopper you will be happy you had a 4.

SenkoSnack808
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by SenkoSnack808 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:02 am

Thanks Duz, I am fishing Lamar, Slough Creek, and The Yellowstone, for the most part. I am also looking for waters that are less heard of, I like to explore. I am prob gonna get a 8 foot 4 weight legend ultra in a week!

What patterns have you used out there?

Thanks, Corey

DUZBASS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by DUZBASS » Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:22 am

I have only fished yellowstone in august through september, so mainly hoppers, with some midge, baetis and caddis mixed in for dries. I love fishing stimulators out there, just a perfect all around western pattern. Midge nymphing has always been good for me that time of year. And do not hesitate to throw streamers, they are really my go to for bigger fish. What time of year are you gonna be out there?

SenkoSnack808
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by SenkoSnack808 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:33 am

Yeah I have been emailing a few guy's out their, and they all recommend terrestrials, and stimulators etc. I will most likely get some Stims, Ant's, Hopper, Beetles, and alot of dries. I cant wait to get out there, I'll be there in the last week of July through the middle of August. But I'll be in Yellowstone for a week, and I'll look into some streamers, what outfit do you throw them on?

Thanks, Corey

DUZBASS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by DUZBASS » Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:50 pm

well to tell you the truth I throw streamers on every one of my rods, down to my 2wt. If i were to pick one go to streamer rod for out west it would be my Winston WT 6wt with a rio trout line WF. I would say that I fish that rod about 30% of the time out west and the rest I am fishing an(60%) 8'9" LT 5wt winston, or(10%) 8'9" 4wt. They all throw streamers. The six will obviously handle bigger ones easier, but sometimes I dont always want a six. I also love fishing for brookies with streamers, they are viscous little fish and love eating meat. you will love it out there, and the creeks can be more enjoyable in the park because you dont have to fight the crowds. If you see a stream meandering through the park give it a try it will hold brookies most likely, and hungry ones too. Also, dont forget to not have any flies with lead in the beads or under the body in Yellowstone, same goes for any split shot.

backcast
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by backcast » Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:39 pm

SS,
As DB has said you can use the 5 wt for a lot of things. I had hoped to fish Slough when I was in Yellowstone, but did not get to. From what I remember it may require some hiking so you probably don't want to carry many rod(s) when you fish it. Your 5 wt will work or a 3 or 4 would also do well. There are some things a 3 will not do as well, but they sure are fun. A shorter rod may work better in tight brushy quarters, but if you have a longer rod you can roll cast better. Making whatever you brought work is part of the fun / challenge.

I have the older SC Legend Ultra in 4 and 6 wt and they are good rods. My favorites however are slower action and specifically the long ago discontinued Sage LL series. The LL actions are similar to the the Winston WT actions.

There is one very low priced but really good performing 3 weight I would recommend you consider. It is a Cabelas Three Forks. They offer it in a 7' 6" three weight that sells for $50. It fishes far better than the price suggests and although the components are obviously not on a par with higher priced rods it is incredibly function. It is a three piece rod so it is good for travel (comes with a sock, but no hard case).

I fished the Firehole, Gibbon and other more accessible streams in Yellowstone in mid June. I had to be real persistent to get any dry fly action. Most of my limited success resulted from Olive body Caddis, around a size 16.

If you have never been before, get ready, it is one of the most special places in the world.

SenkoSnack808
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by SenkoSnack808 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:25 pm

Alright thanks guy's, I was wondering I have a deal on all st. croix products and it will be a toss up between an Avid or the Legend Ultra so if I had to buy a rod to suit most of my needs would the 8 foot 4weight be good? I have my Sage VPS 9 foot 5 weight for the heavier stuff, but want another for multi purpose and lighter stick. I was looking into those rivers too, but I really want alot of dry fly action, but would like some streamers too. I am not gonna lie I am not a real high qualified fly fisherman but I am learning and hopefully will get a few more trips up to the Au Sable this winter and spring before I head out there. I have heard it is a great place, and am counting the day's. 8-)

Thanks Duz, and BC, Corey

Questor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Questor » Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:13 am

I take the following:
7wt for larger water and windy conditions where average and large size flies are used.

5wt for most fishing

If spring creeks were in the plan, I would also take the following:

3wt

backcast
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by backcast » Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:26 pm

SS
This thread started me thinking. Also your comments about buying a SC Legend Ultra added to that. As mentioned above I have a 4 pc 8' 6" in 4 weight that I purchased about five years ago. I have lawn cast it a few times, but don't remeber ever fishing with it. It looks new, and is in new condition. SC made a few cosmetic changes to this series and also advertised a new IPC blank construction technology. I am not sure, but believe my rod was made before then. I do know it is an excellent and highly rated rod regardless. I got carried away buying too much fly fish equipment. there is no way I'll ever use all of it an I prefer slower action rods.

Anyway, if you are interested I'll sell this one to you for $170 delivered. I prefer Paypal, and have extensive ebay feedback - all 100% +. This rod retailed for just over $300 when I bought it, same as the current model. This offer may not be as good of a deal as you have going, but if it is of interest, let me know. I'm confident enough about the rod condition, that if you don't agree that it's the same condition, I'll refund your money and split the return shipping.

PM me if you want more info. Pics posted.

Also, I realize this is not the For Sale forum, and this offer was not solicited by SS. I apologize in advance if this post is out of line.

SenkoSnack808
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by SenkoSnack808 » Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:55 am

Alright heres the scoop, I'm gonna head to Cabela's tomorrow and look at and hopefully test a few rod's I'm looking at. After talking with a few people I have been recommended to look into a smaller 3 weight. I am now looking into the 7'9 3 weight form Croix. Any idea's on this rod? Is it too light for what I want?

Thanks, Corey

backcast
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by backcast » Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:40 pm

Corey,
General rules; A good 3 weight will cast light flies well. It may present (soft presentation) the lighter, especially dry, flies better than heavier line weights. There is nothing about a 3 weight that says it can not handle big fish. It just takes more time, especially if you scaled you leader / tippet to the rod. This may mean more risk of losing fish / more challenge / and more satisfaction.

A 4 wt will be more versatile. It may not do the light things quite as well, but will absolutely do them. It will do heavier things better, and may cast some flies you simply can not cast with a 3 wt. In the wind, the 4 will be a definite advantage.

I love light rods and have several. My favorite is an expensive, beautiful, well designed casting machine. My close second favorite is a $50 rod sold at Cabelas. While you are in Cabelas take a look at the Three Forks series of rods. They sell a 7" 6" in 3 weight that is an unbelievable value. The hardware is cheap, but it casts like rods that cost 6X as much. Like the St Croix ads say, if the snob appeal does not bother you, this could be the rod for you. This way you could get the 3 wt, AND a 4 weight and not blow your budget.