Lighter Oufit

Tips on tippets and more. Come share your secrets about the art of fly fishing or help fellow anglers immerse themselves in this escapist's technique.
SenkoSnack808
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Lighter Oufit

Post by SenkoSnack808 » Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:46 pm

Yeah you bring up a good point, I'm know this may sound alittle overboard but here goes. I was thinking about buying all three rod's, I am not gonna be fly fishing with anything but streamers till spring and by that time I'll have enough to buy each one. I love fly fishing alot, and if the 3 fork rods are as nice as you say, I'll get one first and practice with it and see how I like it. My biggest battle is reels, what kind do you use?

Thanks, Corey

backcast
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by backcast » Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:06 pm

That is kind of like asking which is better, Loomis or Kistler? The main thing to remember is that for most Trout fishing / Fly fishing you don't need to spend big buck for a premium drag. That is not always entirely correct, but pretty close. I have Ross, Bauer, Teton, Galvan, and one or two other type reels. They are all great, but the Ross products and Service are unbeatable in my opinion.

How much do you want to spend on a reel. For $200 and up look at a Ross Rhythm (way more than ample drag). For less than half of that look at the Ross Fly Water model. They may be great for what you want to do. Make sure you get a reel you can "palm" the rim and you can be you own drag assist. Old timers did this for decades and it works great.

Lamson supposedly makes good reels but I've never had one. Several Cabelas reels look good, but they all seem way too heavy, especially for a 3 wt.

Do NOT skimp on line to buy a better reel. Buy expensive lines and cheaper reels. This will make a big difference in your casting and fish catching.

SenkoSnack808
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by SenkoSnack808 » Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:11 pm

While I was looking into the new Lamson Litespeed, or the Ross Evolution. I was gonna buy a spare spool for 4 line, and have another for 3. Good or bad idea?

Corey

backcast
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by backcast » Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:25 pm

Excellent thinking. Many flyfishers do that. Buy one reel with an extra spool. Cover 2 line weights.

SenkoSnack808
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by SenkoSnack808 » Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:27 pm

I think that's what I'll do then, I'm gonna give all them a look tomorrow. I'll put different reels on different rods and see what works. I'll comment back. I also forgot to say, I will not skimp on line, I know the value of good line!

Thanks alot though man, Corey

SenkoSnack808
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by SenkoSnack808 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:32 am

Yeah got some bad news, turns out the bank is closed, so theres goes my trip idea. Oh well I will go there one night this week after school.

Corey

skinhead
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by skinhead » Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:17 am

If you can find one take a look at the Abel 8' #3. Manufacture stopped last year, so location may be difficult. It's a 4pc rod and an absolute peach. Until last Dec I worked for Sharpe's, the owners of Abel so I got to test a lot of premium kit.

When a buddy visited the U.S he found a store that was closing down, and they had a lot of Abel product going for insane prices. Suffice to say I invested in a few items. ;)

Still I now work for Orvis, and the 1oz Trout Bum, 6' #2 has my name all over it, it'll go well with my Abel #0. 8-)