Bamboo rods

Tips on tippets and more. Come share your secrets about the art of fly fishing or help fellow anglers immerse themselves in this escapist's technique.
elrodphil
Angler
Angler

Bamboo rods

Post by elrodphil » Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:38 pm

I am thinking of building a bamboo fly rod...anyone tried black bastard bamboo rods frm th folks who make gink? What would be a standard wt and length for a purely trout rod all around...I have alot of graphite rods and I like full...and I mean full flex..

Questor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Bamboo rods

Post by Questor » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:02 pm

I don't know about those rods, but I'll tell you what I use for pure trout fishing: 4wt 7.5 footer. 3-piece. The key to a good bamboo rod is the taper. A good taper by someone who knows what he's doing is required.

I've got one that is very well made by a modern master and it's excellent. I have another comparable rod that was made by Heddon as a factory rod and it's OK, but graphite is better-- a lot better. Bamboo rods over 7.5 feet exact a penalty in weight and handling.

I also use a 6' 3wt midge rod. I like it, but most people will tell you it's a stupid idea. It's my best rod in confined areas.

M2arms
Angler
Angler

Post by M2arms » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:01 am

CAVEAT EMPTOR!!!!

There are a lot of garage bamboo shops out there that think that because it is bamboo and it's shaped like a flyrod, it will act like one Therefor it should be worth more that the average box of toothpicks - WRONG

Look to a builder who has models you can touch, even if you have to pay to have him ship you one to try out. Spend the money. You are now talking about an investment, not just a k-mart special (or maybe you are).

Building any rod is easy if you have the blank already made. I'm substantially disabled and If I can do it, just about anyone can. It's a matter of taking your time and being neat and consistent. After all you are only gluing on a handle and wrapping the feet. The varnishing is the easiest of all. You drizzle it onto the tip end and have it run down the blank (hung from a hook) back into the pot/can. It is self leveling that way.

backcast
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by backcast » Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:06 pm

I have very little experience concerning bamboo rods. Lots with graphite, and some with older fiberglass (which you might also consider if you want closer to full flex at lower cost than bamboo).

You may want to check out Scott Fly Rods. They have a long history of making great slower action (even graphite - their G series for example) fly rods. Specifically their "F" series (Fibertouch), are supposed to be really nice fiberglas rods. Fiberglass faded due to weight and people wanting faster actions. A few select rod makers still make excellent fiberglas rods, and weight is no longer an issue.

http://www.scottflyrod.com/

As for what is the ideal size and weight for trout, that is a question that can not be answered without more specific info. Lots of places in the East feature small brushy streams. A short 2-4 weight may be the ticket.

In AR where I live the larger rivers make a 5 wt (8.5 - 9') by far the most common choice.

Out west the same can be said of either of the above depending upon stream size / condition. It is also common to find places where the water is big enough that a 6 wt is more suitable.

Stream size / conditions, and fly size are the factors that dictate rod weight and length.

Joe Douglas
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Joe Douglas » Fri May 11, 2007 11:50 am

As an all around trout rod, I like a 7.5' bamboo in 2 piece and 4wt. I also have a 5wt which is pretty nice too. In fact, I have about 50 bamboo rods of various types and sizes. There are a lot of bamboo blanks out there, some good, some not so good. There are also a lot of vintage bamboo rods out there that you can restore, some good, some not so good. It's all in the blank and the taper as mentioned earlier.

You will want to try the rod to see if it suits you and your casting style. It is fun to acquire a garage sale special and restore it. Sometimes you get a diamond, sometimes a stone. This might be the best way to begin your new bamboo project before you invest in an expensive new blank.
Joe Douglas
Rod Builders International