Need help picking out a G-Loomis Fly setup

Tips on tippets and more. Come share your secrets about the art of fly fishing or help fellow anglers immerse themselves in this escapist's technique.
Icefisher15
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Need help picking out a G-Loomis Fly setup

Post by Icefisher15 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:41 pm

I would think an average cast that id try to achieve would be around 40 foot, sometimes try to get it a little further.

SenkoSnack808
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by SenkoSnack808 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:15 pm

If the wind is not insane, then a 7 would be good. You will enjoy any smallie or northenr on it, and have the power to punch the wind.

Corey

Icefisher15
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Icefisher15 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:50 pm

Again thanks to all for the help, now I have some good news for myself basically, I can now get 2 g-loomis rods and 2 g-loomis reels, instead of one rod, one will be a gift and I will be buying the other. Would I want to go with a 5wt for panfish/trout and then a 9wt for the smallies and northerns, bigger tackle. To have an all around fly fishing outfit, taking all of your advise to get more then one setup. Only thing will the biggest eastfork reel work with the 9wt, says it only goes from 7-8wt.

SenkoSnack808
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by SenkoSnack808 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:57 pm

Yeah you can put 9wt on the estfork, just less then normal. The smallies and northerns wont run very far so alot of capacity is not a big deal. I would go a 4 or 5wt for panfish and trout, and a 8 or 9wt for bass/northerns. You have decide what you want, to me a 4wt is more exciting to catch trout on then a 5, and a 8 is cooler with northerns, bioth can handle wind and greater casting difference.

Good luck, Corey

Icefisher15
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Icefisher15 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:01 pm

Hmm, so I could handle basically the same wind resistant flies that i could with a 9 wt on an 8wt, including bigger streamers and the bigger norther/muskie flies, and the big poppers?

SenkoSnack808
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by SenkoSnack808 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:30 pm

If you are gonna catch a mayjority of bass then yeah a 8wt would be best, but if you think you will need to cast huge stremers for big northerns then a 9wt might be better.

Your choice, Corey

Icefisher15
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Icefisher15 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:50 pm

Ahh, K Ive got a pretty good idea of the rods I will pick up now that ive gotten your help, thanks a lot, once I pick them up ill post some pics or something, let you guys know how I like them.

SenkoSnack808
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by SenkoSnack808 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:27 pm

Hey you gunna buy GL3's or GLX's? Those would be sweet combos with an eastfork, what kind of linw are you using?

You will enjoy them alot, Corey

Icefisher15
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Icefisher15 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:46 pm

SenkoSnack808 wrote:Hey you gunna buy GL3's or GLX's? Those would be sweet combos with an eastfork, what kind of linw are you using?

You will enjoy them alot, Corey
Pretty sure Im just going to be getting 2 GLX, one in the streamdance series(the lighter rod) and then the classic series(heavier rod), as for line, not quite sure. Maybe the scientific Anglers Mastery series, really not sure though would have to see what my store carries.

SenkoSnack808
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by SenkoSnack808 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:18 am

Sounds awsome, Let me know how the streamdance works out for you, I am considering one also. Did you decide on a 4wt or a 5wt? I am looking inot Mastery line as well, I hear it's awsome.

Good luck, Corey

elrodphil
Angler
Angler

Post by elrodphil » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:28 pm

You can cast pretty big flies on the rod you've mentioned. I mean the GLX loomis. The GL3 is cheaper and slower action. I agree that it's the caster and many people buy 3 or 4 fly rods and can never get used to any of them. I'd buy the 6 weight...cast the GL3 and the GLX...pick the one you want and go for it. Don't worry about Northerns...I've caught them on a 5 wt. If you're in front of a 20 pound northern and all you have is a 6wt...you'll find a way to cast a bigger fly. Been there...done that.....Get a rod that will be for the fish you go after 95% of the time. Just like a boat...I'd love to have a flats boat because they are cool but a bas fisherman needs a bass boat with all that storage and a deeper V in front so I won't get beaten to death on the lake. Same with a fly rod....you want one that'll satisfy you 95% of the time...By the way...if the rod does not do what you want it to the first tme you cast it....buy another rod that will....I've been at this for over 30 years...