Pike fly rod

Tips on tippets and more. Come share your secrets about the art of fly fishing or help fellow anglers immerse themselves in this escapist's technique.
perchot
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Pike fly rod

Post by perchot » Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:34 pm

Hi guys!

I'm mostly a spinning angler but this year I want to get into the pike fly fishing.
I looked out in the stores, forums and catalogues after an under 150 CAD$ rod, and now I have a dilemma: which one is more suitable for pike?: TFO series one, St Croix Premier or Reign (around 100-120 CAD), Okuma guide select or a Fenwick HMX ( around 160 CAD) - all of them are 9' 8wt?
Personally I was very the most impressed by the Okuma rod (Fastest) but the fishing shop seller is swearing on Temple Fork Outfit (quality / price)

... or do you have another suggestions?

Thank you,
Cristian

SenkoSnack808
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Pike fly rod

Post by SenkoSnack808 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:50 pm

Temple Fork is known to be very good, value and performance come to mind. I have been told they are awsome for the guy on a budget, and who demands a rod up to par. The Ticr series is sweet, you can get it for like 130-140 bucks. Cabelas has some good combos with awsome line and decent reel for under 250. For northerns a 9 weight would be the best, maybe even a 10 if you are after monsters.

Good luck man, I think pike fishing with a fly rod would be dynamite.

Take it easy, Corey

toothman
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by toothman » Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:34 pm

I personally use the Fenwick 9wt HMX rod. I also fish for huge Pike in northern Manitoba, Canada-Constantly. That rod is great and economical.

cocacolalight
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by cocacolalight » Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:34 pm

I'm not fond of too-fast-action fly rods for pike fishing.
I believe most 7-9 wt. rods today are made for casting either bonefish flies or salmon flies. These flies are not a fraction as wind resistant as a bulky pike fly so the rod action and casting rythm must be more relaxed to be comfortable when pike fishing.
My favorite is the early Sage RPL (Graphite III) rods in 9'-9'6'' length and 8-9 wt. configuration.

M2arms
Angler
Angler

Post by M2arms » Sun May 06, 2007 5:35 pm

Having tested most of these rods for the local fly shops, I can say that I prefer the Fenwick. I have a softy spot for these rods as Fenwick was the first rod I ever built. Honestly though, the Temple Fork and the St. Croix would be far better rods if they added at least one more line guide. I think they went a little far in skimping on the eyes and subsequently you get a lot of slap in windy conditions that hinders your distance cast.

Have you been on the lawn casting these at the local fly shop? Which do you like ( don't say Okuma... look for the blue light special)? Which controls varied distances equally? Be sure they are loading a pike line for you and not a regular weight forward. And be sure to use the same line between all the rods you are trying. This will give you a true apples to apples comparison.