Tukes by the Dozen

Tips on tippets and more. Come share your secrets about the art of fly fishing or help fellow anglers immerse themselves in this escapist's technique.
Stan Wright
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Tukes by the Dozen

Post by Stan Wright » Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:44 am

A trout fisherman from Colorado told me they add up the total length of the "small" trout they catch. "I caught 38 inches of trout today"
Well I caught 33 feet, 4 inches of peacock bass in three hours.
( 50 peacock bass x 8 inches each) Check my math!

They were around any brush and log that was along the shore. I also found them in the very shallow water on the muddy points. They were striking any small streamer fly I tossed at them. You just have to fish it FAST. I also caught tiny largemouth and some red devils. I tried lures, and caught a few on the small 2" Pinn's Minnow.... but the fastest action was with small streamer flys.
There were a few larger fish, 2 pounds or so, that chased the fly but wouldn't take it.

Saw lots of larger fish that were just not interested in anything. With the rising water levels I guess any peacock bass that are still spawning were too deep to spot.
Water visibility was 3 or 4 feet.
Stan
Picture of one of my "larger" fish.

davej
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Tukes by the Dozen

Post by davej » Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:21 pm

That's awesome.. Great way to get some casting practice and have fun catching those guys.. Even 8" are fun on a fly rod.. I bet when the a big boy hits your streamer the fight will be on...