Accurate Information?

Tips on tippets and more. Come share your secrets about the art of fly fishing or help fellow anglers immerse themselves in this escapist's technique.
Trout Slayer
Angler
Angler

Accurate Information?

Post by Trout Slayer » Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:05 pm

I watched this fly fishing video and it gave you 1 flie out of the 4 categories which is the best for the beginner to use asd it covers all trout situations. Is this information accurate?

Wet Fly - Quill Gordon

Dry Fly - Adams

Nymph - Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear

Streamer - Muddler Minnow
Skyler

davej
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Accurate Information?

Post by davej » Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:22 pm

That is a tough call.. It's kind of like saying Bring Chrome Zara Spook, Terminator Spinner bait in Shad and Sweat Beaver in Green Goby... you have a good chance of catching something on them any given day yet you may not be maximizing your potential for catching fish on any given outing... I try to "match the Hatch" by checking out online or at a local fly shop what has been going on as far as bugs both morning and late afternoon.. I usually always stock up at the local shop with what has been on over the past few days.. The sizes alone of all the different flies is overwhelming alone... After time you will build up a nice assortment of both dry and wet flies (I keep them is separate boxes) so when those times do come when you don't have the benefit of shopping locally for flies for that particular stream, time of year and condition most likely you will have something in your box that will work.. Remember do not be afraid to change your fly patterns and sizes often till you find one that turns them on.. if you see one rising, make a short cast first till you can judge the distance and water flow... Once you have made a few good passes at him without a take... Back off for a little while and change your fly up.. I always try and see what bugs are on the water and match what I have in my box to them by Type, size and color..

I also picked up a little pocket book by Thomas Ames, JR called Hatch Guide for New England Streams... great book with pictures.. I'm sure there is ones that cover your neck of the woods..

Dave

DUZBASS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Accurate Information?

Post by DUZBASS » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:17 am

Trout Slayer wrote:I watched this fly fishing video and it gave you 1 flie out of the 4 categories which is the best for the beginner to use asd it covers all trout situations. Is this information accurate?

Wet Fly - Quill Gordon

Dry Fly - Adams

Nymph - Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear

Streamer - Muddler Minnow
If you really want to get it down to a fly in each category I wouldnt really choose any of those, thats kind of an old school list.

Skip wet flies as a beginner, there are much better ways to catch them

Dry fly- adams parachute, will out perform the reg adams in almost all situations, just sits better in the water

Nymph- hares ear is good, but i think the best all rounder is the pheasant tail with a beadhead, just catches fish anywhere they feed on any mayflies

Streamer- woolly bugger, ask anybody who has fished one they are the best

And to add on to what dave was saying, you cant look at fly fishing the same as anything else, you really have to read the water and what the fish are eating or what is available to them.