lighter rods

Tips on tippets and more. Come share your secrets about the art of fly fishing or help fellow anglers immerse themselves in this escapist's technique.
sanjuannie
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

lighter rods

Post by sanjuannie » Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:15 pm

I just read the thread on rod choices,3wt, etc., started by the guy who was going to Yellowstone in Jan 2007. Backcast, you loved the Cabelas Three Forks 3 wt 7'6". I was wondering what the action is on that rod? I was also looking at a TFO Finesse 2wt 7'3" rod, they are $180, and wondering how different these two rods might feel. I'm fishing an older SC Legend, before they had Ultra or Elite designations, it's a 3/4 9', I really like the way it casts, more like a 4 I think. I want something smaller for when I fish the smaller streams, so I thought I'd toss this out here and see what everyone has to say. How short is too short?

backcast
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: lighter rods

Post by backcast » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:31 pm

The Three forks I have is a 3 weight, 7'6". I would rate the action as slightly faster than medium. It certainly is not whippy, and is not overly stiff, that makes it slightly faster than medium in my definition.

I can not compare to TFO (no experience with them). I can compare to the following:
Sage LL 3 wt- Three Forks is slightly faster
St Croix Avid - 6'6" 4 wt - This rod is extremely slow / whippy to me - more so than any other SC I have used. Three Forks is much faster.
St Criox Legend Ultra 8'6" 4wt - Three Forks is moderatly slower.

As far as how short is too short? I have owned fly rods down to 5'6". At that point they start becoming very specialized (for my skill level anyway). However at 7'6" the Three Forks and all other decent rods I have used will cast plenty far enough.

The Three Forks will easily cast 40-45 feet w/o an expert at the controls. I would say this is at the outside of what you need to be casting a 3 wt nearly all the time. Hook ups will become the problem beyond that distance.

A 7-8 foot rod will not cast as far as a similar 9' rod, but why are you using the 3 wt anyway? If smaller, lighter are the ticket this 7.5' or any good similar length rod may add to your enjoyment.

As with any 3 wt - wind can be your enemy.

The Three Forks is a great rod for the cost. The reel seat hardware is definately budget stuff, but very functional. Other than that it is a great rod (that appears to be sold out at the moment)!

sanjuannie
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by sanjuannie » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:30 pm

many thanks, backcast, for the info, and for taking the time to respond.

catbarnes00
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by catbarnes00 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:28 pm

I am a newer fisherman. I recently purchased a TFO Professional series 3wt 7'6". I love it. Being inexperianced, I have no trouble putting the fly where I want it with this rod. It loads smoothly and is very forgiving of mediocre casting. In fact, I will be using it in Wyoming next summer to begin the persuit of my "Cutt-Slam."

Catbarnes00