Brookie Fishing

Tips on tippets and more. Come share your secrets about the art of fly fishing or help fellow anglers immerse themselves in this escapist's technique.
Trout Slayer
Angler
Angler

Brookie Fishing

Post by Trout Slayer » Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:08 pm

Okay im finally gonna get out with my fly rod and try to catch some brookies. I have a couple questions and I just need some very very basic info. First of all what flies do I use? I don't have very many but I know I have a couple mosquitos and some royal coachmans. I cant tell you what size they are but I can say most of my flies would just fit inside a quarter. I also have couple tinnnnny flies but I don't know how the heck youd feed the line through the tny eyelit. Id prefer to dry fly fish and will these two types work? I might get some adams flies too. Also after I get it out there what do I do with it. Do I just let it sit there for a while? FYI ill be fishing brooks and a place ill try is a calm lake. I also might drop the fly in this spot where a large concrete tube has water running through it fast and there are lots of brookies there. Oh and I think ill use a 10 lb leader or so because I just know ill break the leader off somehow so ill start with a bit of a larger poundge. Also the improved clinch knot is the easiest fastest way to attatch leader to fly right?
Skyler

davej
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Brookie Fishing

Post by davej » Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:24 pm

Trout Slayer wrote: First of all what flies do I use?
That is a tuff one to answer without knowing where you are fishing, the latest hatches etc.. Is there a fly fishing shop you can stop at on the way to where your fishing? I would stop in and ask them what the latest bug patterns are.. Don't be afraid to pick up some summer terrestrial patterns (Grass Hoppers, Beatles, Ants, Dragon Flies etc)

Trout Slayer wrote: I don't have very many but I know I have a couple mosquitos and some royal coachmans. I cant tell you what size they are but I can say most of my flies would just fit inside a quarter. I also have couple tinnnnny flies but I don't know how the heck youd feed the line through the tny eyelit.
When you are using those very tiny flies you are trying them onto 6X and 7X tippet the line is super super fine and goes through the little hook eye
no problem

Trout Slayer wrote: I might get some adams flies too. Also after I get it out there what do I do with it. Do I just let it sit there for a while? FYI ill be fishing brooks and a place ill try is a calm lake. I also might drop the fly in this spot where a large concrete tube has water running through it fast and there are lots of brookies there.
I have never fly fished for trout on a calm lake.. As for the pipe... look for fish rising.. take a few short casts first to judge the distance and water flow.. you do not want your fly line to drag across the current and pull your dry fly through the water.. you want your dry fly to drift as natural as possible.. do this by mending your fly line before the fly gets to the fish..
Trout Slayer wrote: Oh and I think ill use a 10 lb leader or so because I just know ill break the leader off somehow so ill start with a bit of a larger poundge. Also the improved clinch knot is the easiest fastest way to attatch leader to fly right?
No.. don't use a 10lb leader when fishing dry flies for trout... you want to pick up some leaders like a 5X and 6x in 9.5 ft (frog hair makes an awesome one) .. Use a Double Surgeon's Knot to attach the leader to the fly line (see link) http://www.flymartonline.com/article211.html
and yes the Improved clinch is a easy not for tying the leader (Tippet end) to the fly

DJ