Please give me your suggestions.

Tips on tippets and more. Come share your secrets about the art of fly fishing or help fellow anglers immerse themselves in this escapist's technique.
jaroddog
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Please give me your suggestions.

Post by jaroddog » Sat May 28, 2005 11:19 pm

Hi,
I bought my first fly rod about 6 months ago. It was a Cabela's Three Forks 3wt. rod and a Prestige Plus reel. I took it out, learned to cast, started catching some nice fish on it all in the first day. I got better and better at casting and just as I was really starting to get into it, the handle on my flyrod started coming apart. I contacted Cabelas and they said that such degradation so early was not normal. They refunded my money and here I sit. I liked the rod, but I want to consider some other options before purchasing another. I was looking for a heavy rod and reel, maybe something I could use on the coast (if I can ever get there). What brands and models would you suggest for a budget rod and reel? Please consider how much I payed for the Cabela's combo. I didn't know what weight of rod I should consider. I don't have any paticular species in mind, just a heavier rod than what I had before (shouldn't be hard). I figured someone on here surely has a budget rod/reel combo they could recommend.
Thanks,
Jarod

kbookert
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Please give me your suggestions.

Post by kbookert » Sun May 29, 2005 12:46 pm

You may want to look at the Airrus web site. I know they have fly rods. If they are anything like (I have no doubt) their spinning and casting rods, they should work out very well for you.
If you do what you’ve always done, you’ll get what you’ve always gotten.

troutcandy
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by troutcandy » Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:59 pm

I don't have a recco on a rod for you, but will say this. If you are buying a light line rod, (under a 5 weight) and not fishing for big fish in rivers (over 20 inches), putting money into lessons will make you a far better fisherman than the rod.

Yes, we would all like to fish for 20 inch fish, but let's be realistic, there aren't too many places where you are going to get into 20 inch trout unless you are in Montana or someplace like that. For most of us, we'll do this once a year. If you sunk 100.00 in lessons, or bought beer for the guys at the local fly shop for some lessons, that would go a lot further in you catching fish than the rod. The reel will only hold line, and if you are casting 50 plus feet then you aren't catching fish.

When you say "the coast" do you mean rivers or the salt? If you are in the salt, what type of fish. It will make a difference on the weight rod.

Personally, if you were going to have only 1 rod for awhile, a three is pretty light for anything short of panfish if you.

I have been fishing a long time, and just took this SAGE rod casting anlyzer test, and in 5 minutes made some serious improvements. Same rod, just more instruction.

Lessons! LEssons! Lessons!

troutcandy

jaroddog
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jaroddog » Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:23 pm

Hey, thanks for the info, but you are all too late. I bought my cabelas 4 weigth tradional rod several months back. It's great. I agree, good technique with a less than top dollar rod is going to get you farther than a Sage rod and not knowing how to use that tool (plus, my wallet isn't that fat). Anyway, this is a cheap combo I use, but I landed a cutthroat and brook trout (both inside Rocky Mountain National Park) with this combo. I also use it for bluegill and bass fishing. I personally feel that a 4 weight is plenty for even the largest bass if you know what you are doing. I'd feel way over gunned even with a 6 weight. I can't even imagine using an 8 weight (my uncles got an 8 wt. Sage, sweet rod-but I'd save it for the coast). As far as a coastal rod goes, I'm holding off. I love fishing ultralight. I get a lot more fish. As far as lessons go, I prefer reading and just self teaching - going fishing and using your fly rod as much as possible is the best way to learn IMO. I've got good coordination and using a fly rod has become second nature in a short amount of time. I'm working on perfecting my double haul right now. Pretty cool stuff. (Oh, and the beer is a good idea - but I'm under aged :))

chavez
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by chavez » Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:05 pm

If you are still thinking of the 4wt, I suggest you look at the "entry" level Sage Launch 4wt. I have the 2 piece 8' 4wt for small river and pond fishing and it is the sweetest little rod. It weighs just 2 3/4 ounces and casts smooth as butter but is a medium-fast action. It does have some backbone though as I've caught a couple of 3lb catfish on it and 2lb and 3lb LMB that I had no problem landing.

The 2-piece is $170 and the 4 piece rods are $25 more and they come with a rod tube. I recommend this rod highly. I had such a great experience with the 4wt this summer that I bought a 9' 5wt for trout for the winter. They are the best buy for the money plus unlike a lot of other fly rods in this price range they are not made in China or Korea but here in the USA in Bainbridge WA where all the other Sage rods are made.