Does made in USA matter?

Tips on tippets and more. Come share your secrets about the art of fly fishing or help fellow anglers immerse themselves in this escapist's technique.
kakaryan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Does made in USA matter?

Post by kakaryan » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:03 pm

I have quitted fly fishing for 4 years, but wanna give it a try again recently. So, I am looking for a new combo, 9’ 6wt.

I had a 3wt DIY rod that cost about $50 and paired with a Lamson Konic reel. It was OK but I want a better rod this time. What options are available today? My budget would be ~$500 max for a combo, of course cheaper the better as I am not sure if I could keep the passion this time.

I have done a little bit of researching and saw some reels that I like. But for rods, I have no idea. How about these?

Sage Approach, Response.
Orvis Clearwater
St. Croix Imperial, Rio Santo.
Ross Worldwide
Sonik

Does made in USA matter and what do you think? I have heard mixed opinions. Some claim the big brand made in USA models are always better, while some say many Asian made models are as good or even better.

I think all the Sage are made in USA. Orvis Clearwater seems not but the higher end models are. St. Croix Rio Santo is not but the Imperial and higher are. Ross reels are made in USA but the rods seem not.

Sonik, a pretty highly rated English brand, rods are made in Asia but use Toray (nice Japanese blanks). They are pretty affordable as well.

Wolbugger
Angler
Angler

Re: Does made in USA matter?

Post by Wolbugger » Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:38 am

Made in the USA matters little to me as far as quality goes. There are great fly rods from both sides of the pond. Fly rods can vary wildly just based on the line weight. There are $800 Sage rods that may be amazing in certain line weights, but a different line weight from the same series may be mediocre! Test cast if you can!

Redington is usually a decent choice for a cheaper rod as are the ones you mentioned. Lighter line weight Cabela's fly rods can also be excellent. I had a 5 weight L-Tech and can't say enough about how awesome it was. Their LSi is another good one. They fish very well, are nicely appointed, and have a sweet warranty. Don't forget about cheaper offerings from Winston, Scott, etc.

For reels, check out the cheapers Sage models, as well as offerings from Redington and Waterworks. Just a few of the good reels out there...

Wolbugger

fishingman88
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishingman88 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:16 pm

Wolbugger wrote:Made in the USA matters little to me as far as quality goes. There are great fly rods from both sides of the pond. Fly rods can vary wildly just based on the line weight. There are $800 Sage rods that may be amazing in certain line weights, but a different line weight from the same series may be mediocre! Test cast if you can!

Redington is usually a decent choice for a cheaper rod as are the ones you mentioned. Lighter line weight Cabela's fly rods can also be excellent. I had a 5 weight L-Tech and can't say enough about how awesome it was. Their LSi is another good one. They fish very well, are nicely appointed, and have a sweet warranty. Don't forget about cheaper offerings from Winston, Scott, etc.

For reels, check out the cheapers Sage models, as well as offerings from Redington and Waterworks. Just a few of the good reels out there...

Wolbugger
Agreed. Price and country of origin is not as important as some people might think. I highly encourage the OP to test out various rods. Join a local fly fisher club and you'll have a chance to test a lot of rods and find out what you like.

In today's day and age, there are very few things that didn't require a company to acquire some part of their product from a company that operated overseas whether it is components on your rod or the blank itself.

JWR075
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by JWR075 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:31 am

I can say that all that matters is the quality control of the company. I was a "country snob" when it came to fly fishing thinking only European or US made equipment were good enough but two things changed that "attitude" for me and that was the Greys GR30 fly rod (made in China) and the Echo Ion fly reel (made in Korea). For a sub $200.00 fly outfit I could not be very much more impressed. Are they Abel reels and Scott rods, nope but they are impressive none the less.

Bryin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bryin » Sun May 29, 2016 11:33 am

I have fished since age 6 and fly fished since age 12... at 45 I have fished my share of rods.. I fish both fly and ul and XUL spinning.. I got into XUL via Joe Robertson's book, the man is a genius. That lead to some tackle purchases from Japan... I have learned 2 things...

1. Solid tip rods are amazing... I don't know why fly rods are not made with solid tips.

2. Japanese rods are mazing... they crush the best US rods...

Mike and Pike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike and Pike » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:24 am

The St. Croix Imperial ( version II) is one of the best rods for the money that I have fished. I own one in five weight.
When it comes to reels at a six weight you are still essentially buying a line holder. Spend the vast majority of your money on the rod and wait to purchase a nice reel with a nice drag when the size dictates the need.

FishGirl71
Angler
Angler

Post by FishGirl71 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:10 am

I would have to agree with everyone here. Many rods, reels, etc. are made in the same place, in the same factories - so buying something from a company in one country or another doesn't always mean it's manufactured there (it may just be assembled there). Good quality can come from anywhere, really... which I have learned over the years. And it's not always necessary to pay top dollar for top quality. Part of it will be personal preference, I think, but its worth checking around and asking others for reviews.

Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Randingo » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:00 am

I'll offer a dark horse suggestion here for a rod. Lots of people talk about Temple Fork like they're the best value proposition in fly rods. I totally disagree. I know they've got great endorsers, but guys like Lefty can make any fly rod work. In general, it's a mistake for a relatively inexperienced fly fisherman to go with a really fast rod, and every TFO I've ever held is fast and stiff. I'd really recommend that you look at a Fenwick Fenglass. They're an absolute steal, cast beautifully, make short, delicate casts a breeze, and will help you develop good casting technique because they really respond to smooth, controlled casting strokes, which are actually easier to develop than the quicker, more forceful stroke you'll gravitate towards with a fast rod.

bish0p
Angler
Angler

Post by bish0p » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:40 am

I know there are excellent rods made in South Korea.

CTS rods from New Zealand compare favorably with the best rods from the States.