Tenkera Fishing Rod

Tips on tippets and more. Come share your secrets about the art of fly fishing or help fellow anglers immerse themselves in this escapist's technique.
Gerekalv
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Tenkera Fishing Rod

Post by Gerekalv » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:48 am

This Tenkara fishing rod came up ion my massdrop email. I keep seeing mention of this thing from time to time as a lightweight backpacking thing. I'm fairly sure this is what I saw Dixie using in one of her PCT videos....and I've seen it in some other contexts too...

But I'm wondering...

This thing is expensive....AND it really doesn't look all that different from the Bream Buster rods I used as a kid. I of course can't find a weight spec for a bream buster in my searches since most folks that would use them wouldn't be all that concerned with weight

are these tenkara rods all that much lighter or better in some way?

Massdrop is listing the weights at 1.1 and 1.9 oz depending on the model. I find that almost hard to believe...even the rod alone but with line, spool, flys, etc..... that's unbelievable
Last edited by Gerekalv on Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Tenkera Fishing Rod

Post by HobeyBaker » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:40 pm

They work pretty good in the Driftless Area where it's all small spring creeks. Casts are rarely further than 20 feet. The telescoping action makes a pretty good backpacking rod.

I know the owner of Badger Tenkara and he's a good guy.