Casting shooting head fly line with baitcaster

Tips on tippets and more. Come share your secrets about the art of fly fishing or help fellow anglers immerse themselves in this escapist's technique.
jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Casting shooting head fly line with baitcaster

Post by jvelth74 » Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:37 am

Crazy idea, but might it be possible?
Has anybody tried or even thought that? And question is why? ...because I like to reel a baitcaster :) And it interest me could it work...And there is small streams where only fly fishing is allowed.

Of course shooting head couldn’t be reeled into UL baitcaster and therefore it can’t be much longer than rod…Just making shooting head maybe a little longer than rod (4,5’), so max length of shooting head is something 9’ and weight a little more than rod easily casts (6 g) and goal would be able to cast some 10 yards :D

And before than I will go to fishing I will surely call to local fishing supervisor and tell him what I’m planning to do…
But in my opinion casting (fly) line is the thing of fly fishing, type of reel doesn't matter...

But before than I’m buying line… Toughs? Any Idea? Can’t be cast at all?

rubs96
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Casting shooting head fly line with baitcaster

Post by rubs96 » Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:27 pm

That would be a neat experiment. I’ve wondered that before - would I be able to load a baitcaster with backing and then shooting line and head and actually be able to fish it? Cast it?

Custom single hand or two-hand blank spiral wrapped to accommodate the reel and casting technique? Leave short shooting head out with running line and actually cast? Reel in up to shooting head and then land fish?

Neat idea. Has anyone tried it yet?