Trout dry flies don't float well

Tips on tippets and more. Come share your secrets about the art of fly fishing or help fellow anglers immerse themselves in this escapist's technique.
RoyBWalko
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Trout dry flies don't float well

Post by RoyBWalko » Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:12 pm

My trout dry flies don't float well after I've used them for about a half hour even if I keep applying silicone cream, dry fly floatant or sprays. What's wrong?

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Trout dry flies don't float well

Post by HobeyBaker » Mon Aug 29, 2022 5:36 am

Probably nothing if you do a good application of Gink and then add dry shake when it stops to float. You can also add a few false casts to dry out the fly.

kaiser
Angler
Angler

Post by kaiser » Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:20 am

Agreed with the false casting. Personally, I like to add a smidge of foam in my patterns to mitigate this issue. Retying after 30-45minutes of fishing throughout the day can be a real chore. I also like using the powdered floatant, find that it works better than the gel.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:49 pm

A small can of aerosol anti-perspirant works great to waterproof flies(must contain an aluminum compound). It never washes off and is 100% hydrophobic. Aerosol silicone spray for tent waterproofing works well as a pre-treat, also.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.