Tackle Box Question...

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
bhyatt6
Angler
Angler

Tackle Box Question...

Post by bhyatt6 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:35 am

For the past couple years i've been keeping soft plastics in my Flambeu clear tackle boxes just like my other hard baits, jigs, frogs, etc. In the past year i've grown fond of keeping soft plastics in their bags and keeping those bags in the end of my tackle bag... i like that because if for instance i'm flipping chigger craws to laydowns i like keeping the bag of craws in the pocket of my cargo shorts so when i lose a craw or it gets a pincer ripped off i can replace it... so... back on topic, being a 16 yr. old my budget doesn't allow me to buy all brand new boxes. so my question is if i give the tackle boxes that held salt impregnated lures like soft plastics a thorough wash with warm water and soap would i then be safe to put hard baits in those boxes without being worried about rusting, etc.?

StPaulPike
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Tackle Box Question...

Post by StPaulPike » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:04 am

You would be fine. Give them a rinse and wash and your good to go.

bhyatt6
Angler
Angler

Post by bhyatt6 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:24 am

ok. i figured they'd be fine i just needed to hear it from someone else... it would absolutley kill me if i put 200 dollars woth of crankbaits in a box and they all got rusted and unusable... but thank's again!

SteveDB
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SteveDB » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:38 am

One thing that helps reduce rust is to save those little white packs of silica gel that come in electrical components, hardware and stuff. Put them in your boxes and they help prevent rusting. I have a bunch and keep one in each compartment of every box. Never have rust probs.

mrborohachi
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mrborohachi » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:48 am

you can also find those packs in beef jerky

lpquick
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by lpquick » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:25 pm

Heck you can pack a plastic bag with rice small enough to take up one slot and poke a hole bunch of tiny holes for the bag to breath and the rice will absorb moisture, that'll help keep your hooks from rusting. Rice is cheap to boot I bet your mom has some in the house all the time. Change out the rice once a month. Does the salt shaker in your house get clogged up due to moisture, add some rice to the salt shaker and it will help keep the shaker clog free. Replace the rice when you add new salt. :)
Rods & Reels Excite me!

reelblues
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by reelblues » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:35 pm

Kinda off topic - but related. have you seen this for keeping plastics in bags? I use it on my boat, and love it.

http://blujay.com/item/Cook-s-Go-To-Tac ... 00-3577502
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing it is not fish they are after"
Thoreau

bhyatt6
Angler
Angler

Post by bhyatt6 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:11 am

I have not seen that but it looks very useful... i usually just keep my huge duffle bag of boxes and plastics in the center dry storage of my boat and just keep the plastic bags in my pocket... but i think i might look into that system.

ah_long
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ah_long » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:47 pm

it'll be fine...

word of advice, put your plastic baits inside a zip lock bag with their packaging in case something happens