First BFS Baits

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
fmp
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

First BFS Baits

Post by fmp » Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:54 pm

Hi all,

I just purchased a 16 aldebaran bfs and a light action major craft speedstyle casting rod. I am running 15lb jbraid grand with a 6lb flouro leader. I intend to use this combo to target smallies and trout on a mid-sized river.

I am looking for suggestions for lures to use on this combo. I have heard that there are some JDM small spoons and crankbaits available. However, my knowledge on this topic is quite limited. Can someone point me in the right direction re: some productive/favourite BFS lures?

Thanks in advance.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: First BFS Baits

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:42 pm

On the USA side, the Rapala UL series is pretty nice. They ramge from poppers to topwaters. The UL 04 Minnow is a good shallow water bait.

I do suggest swapping the treble hooks with barbless single hooks. Way less snags and better for the fish
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:54 pm

I like to use small JDM top water baits. My finesse boxes are mostly filled with Jackall baits. My favorite bait company for sure.

fmp
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by fmp » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:51 am

@hobie - thanks I will definitely look into those. BTW your bfs videos on YouTube are a great resource - keep up the good work.

@hogsticker - can you suggest me a couple of your favourite jackall baits? Thanks!

MCROUT14
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MCROUT14 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:10 am

I have a Megabass Eiger Northwall that I use for pond hopping and I found some lighter spinnerbaits that work well for me. My top choice being the Megabass V-Flat Power Bomb. It only weighs 6 grams but still gives you a decent size profile at the same time. Another good bait choice in my area for river smallmouth are smaller swimbaits- I like to either drift them on a taught line or slow roll them through areas that break the current.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:24 am

My favorite BFS lure has been Rapala Countdown CD03 (3 cm, 4 g, sinking). It's nice to cast with BFS setup and nice to crank and it has been productice at least for rainbow trout, perch and sometimes pikes likes it also. I'm not sure how it is available from there. But at least from Ebay:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... 3&_sacat=0

I use mostly GFR colour in not so bright waters.

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Wed May 06, 2020 5:42 pm

The Strike King Bitsy Minnow is a great little crank as are the UL Series from Rapala. Keitech Easy Shiners thrown on a 3/32oz Keitech Super Round Jig Head is also great. The Megabass Siglett is a great 3/16oz top water lure as is the 3/16oz Megabass Baby Pop X. Unweighted plastics such as the Zoom Finnesse Worm and a 4.8” Jackall Flick Shake are also good. Don’t be afraid to T Rig the Zoom Finesse Worm with a tiny bullet weight. The 5/32oz Keitech Finesse Jigs with Keitech Little Spider trailers are also good.
Last edited by John G on Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Wed May 06, 2020 5:45 pm

:doh:
Last edited by John G on Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jmb27 » Mon May 11, 2020 11:32 am

Another vote for the MB Baby Pop-X.

I've had success this year using a Fish Arrow Spinner J. I rig it with a 1/8 oz. Keitech Super Round jig head with a 3" Keitech Easy Shiner for my BFS setup.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:51 pm

Good little

Rebel Teeny Pop-R. Look for their Teeny size lures. A lot of them are 1/8th oz and usually about 2" in length. Rebel also makes some micro series and they're even smaller.

Yo-Zuri Pins Minnow. Always a great finesse lure. Their small size L-minnow also works.

There's a variety of ultra light lipless cranks available. Yo-Zuri Rattl'n Vibe Mini. 13 Fishing Magic Man. Rapala Ultralight Rip'n Rap.

Small spoons. A Kastmaster will work just fine. 1/8 oz. or 1/12th oz.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:23 am

jvelth74 wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:24 am
My favorite BFS lure has been Rapala Countdown CD03 (3 cm, 4 g, sinking). It's nice to cast with BFS setup and nice to crank and it has been productice at least for rainbow trout, perch and sometimes pikes likes it also. I'm not sure how it is available from there. But at least from Ebay:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... 3&_sacat=0

I use mostly GFR colour in not so bright waters.
I also like the Rapala Countdowns and look forward to use the new Countdown Elite 5.5 cm (7 gram).

In addition. Best minnows in my box:

TIEMCO LAKS 60S - all colors catch trout all day

Tackle House Buffet Doras 43 and 46

Honorable mentions:
IMA Sukari 50S, Forest iFish FT 50S, Duel Hardcore Heavy 50

- all are sinking minnows that work well when casting upstream.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:29 am

Mepps Comet (and Aglia)
Mapso Ory (and Orion and Reder)
Black Flagg Dropspin (newest version) for when heavy small spinners are needed.

Smith Pure
Daiwa Crusader

I have tons of different spinners and spoons, but I could get by with lures above in different sizes.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:40 pm

1/10 ned rig - versatile and catches fish everywhere
3 inch senko
1/8 oz chatterbait
1/8 oz lipless crank
1/4 oz popper
3/16 oz swimjig
1/8 oz jackall flickshake
1/8 oz inline spinner
1/8 oz roadrunner
1/8 oz jig and trailer
Keitech little spider
1/4 oz Mb dark sleeper

That is about the extent of it off the top of my head. If I bring a BFS reel along I grab a box that has these baits ready to go. I don’t dip much under 1/8 and not much over 1/4 oz. These are all pretty light and small offerings.

kaiser
Angler
Angler

Post by kaiser » Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:17 pm

For jigs, I really like the Missile Baits Micro Jigs by Ike. They come in as low as 1/16oz and cast much further their counterparts [I'm looking at you bitsy bug]. The micro skirt also matches the jig size quite nicely.