BFS/micro frog

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
MountainMan 83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

BFS/micro frog

Post by MountainMan 83 » Sat May 02, 2020 3:59 pm

What would you recommend for a floating style, 1/4 oz or under frog. Big fan of the lunkerhunt pocket frog and looking for other quality frogs that are similar. Thanks.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: BFS/micro frog

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sun May 03, 2020 6:25 am

LiveTarget has a 45 sized frog. I am not sure if they make it anymore but, its small and produces.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun May 03, 2020 8:33 am

Lunkerhunt makes the pocket frog. I've caught a lot of bass on them in my little ponds.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jmb27 » Sun May 03, 2020 9:48 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 8:33 am
Lunkerhunt makes the pocket frog. I've caught a lot of bass on them in my little ponds.
How do you fish it? One tackle site had a lot of negative reviews from guys using like a traditional frog and positive reviews reeling it slowly. Any tips? :-k

MountainMan 83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MountainMan 83 » Sun May 03, 2020 10:17 am

jmb27 wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 9:48 am
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 8:33 am
How do you fish it? One tackle site had a lot of negative reviews from guys using like a traditional frog and positive reviews reeling it slowly. Any tips? :-k
I love em. I fish them just like a popping frog. Small 1-2 inch movements, usually 1-3 times in a row and then let it sit for a few seconds depending on water temp. Caught this guy earlier this week that way.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon May 04, 2020 12:09 pm

"What Dave said.^^
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Mon May 04, 2020 5:15 pm

I have these two little guys, but I have no idea who makes them. I throw them on a M/XF Avid with 13lb mono. It's all wrong but it works a lot of the time so long as I am reasonable about where I throw them.

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Mon May 04, 2020 5:27 pm

Jackall spin gavacho. They are a very small version of the gavacho. 46mm 6.2g

MountainMan 83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MountainMan 83 » Mon May 04, 2020 5:43 pm

Houndfish wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 5:15 pm

I have these two little guys, but I have no idea who makes them. I throw them on a M/XF Avid with 13lb mono. It's all wrong but it works a lot of the time so long as I am reasonable about where I throw them.
Maybe booyah and scumfrog?
domthewon wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 5:27 pm
I had never seen these before. Interesting how the hooks are placed.

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Mon May 04, 2020 6:31 pm

MountainMan 83 wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 5:43 pm
Houndfish wrote:

domthewon wrote:
The gavacho frogs are the only frogs with hooks that I don't purposely bend out with pliers to increase hookup ratio. I also don't cut the silicone stranded legs, and they pop/walk excellent. They are just about perfect to me out of the package.

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Tue May 05, 2020 1:27 pm

domthewon wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 6:31 pm
MountainMan 83 wrote:
Houndfish wrote:

domthewon wrote:
The gavacho frogs are the only frogs with hooks that I don't purposely bend out with pliers to increase hookup ratio. I also don't cut the silicone stranded legs, and they pop/walk excellent. They are just about perfect to me out of the package.
I have zero confidence throwing the Gavacho. It has the worst hook up ratio of any lure I own. People love them, but I have two and both have swung and missed more than they have stuck a fish.

Absolutely love the Jackall Karah! You'll hook nearly every fish, amazing action, smaller size, and cast like a stone.

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Tue May 05, 2020 3:43 pm

RMCatchNrelease wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 1:27 pm
domthewon wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 6:31 pm
MountainMan 83 wrote:
Houndfish wrote:

domthewon wrote:
I have zero confidence throwing the Gavacho. It has the worst hook up ratio of any lure I own. People love them, but I have two and both have swung and missed more than they have stuck a fish.

Absolutely love the Jackall Karah! You'll hook nearly every fish, amazing action, smaller size, and cast like a stone.
Thats interesting but not surprising. I also agree that you have to have confidence in the frog you fish. I have the opposite experience with the Gavacho as I can't count the number of bass landed, but can almost count the fish i've lost on it.

The Kaera is a good frog also, but my hookup ratio is around 50/50 with it. A lot of my bites on it have been smaller bass, and with a split second or 2 it's much harder to tell if they actually have it or not, and I just swing away. I still like it for certain situations though.

I've had many days where I've had countless blowups but only a few actually grab it. Days like that make me feel like the hookup ratio is worse than it really is, and i've learned minor adjustments like switching to a horny toad can really make the difference. Frog fishing is finicky, so I throw what I'm confident in like yourself.