Opinion: It may not be worth it

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Opinion: It may not be worth it

Post by zodiak311 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:41 am

Cal wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:33 am
zodiak311 wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:30 am
Now he wants to use my Monoblocks. The dark side is strong, but I am raising a Jedi, need to slow down the young Padawan. The Darkside is strong, but I have conquered it.
“Control, control, you must learn control!” – Yoda
My kids started with a Shimano Aldebaran BFS and Daiwa T3 Air ... ;)
I'm sure they did, you have to much nice gear.

My first car was a non running 1968 VW bug that my dad let me purchase for $550 with my own cash, at the local junk yard. It took me two years to get it on the road, but my dad helped me restore it. Suspension rehaul, brakes, fuel lines, carb, manual choke, body work, seemed like the project would never end. I was disgruntled at the time, but it all makes sense now.
My son will get the same treatment :lol: Apple doesn't fall far from the tree.
But maybe instead of a VW bug, ill make him purchase an old Civic instead. ;)
Last edited by zodiak311 on Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:50 am

My son caught two 5 1/2 pounders back to back on a cheap two-piece Shimano spinning rod in fishing camp last summer (we have a good one here organized by hardcore bass anglers). That cheap noodle is still the only rod he wants to use, even though I keep trying to steer him to a 701-704 collection of Powell Infernos I got.

It’s a constant reminder that you don’t need expensive gear to catch big bass, and that emotion and memories are the main reason gear feels “just right”.

Good thing I caught all my big bass on expensive gear ;)
Last edited by Drakestar on Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:50 am

zodiak311 wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:41 am
My son will get the same treatment :lol: Apple doesn't fall ar from the tree.
Take a fishing reel apart and make him put it back together before take him fishing again... then you'll have your own fishing reel maintenance guy in house :)
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:51 am

Cal wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:50 am
zodiak311 wrote:
Take a fishing reel apart and make him put it back together before take him fishing again... then you'll have your own fishing reel maintenance guy in house :)
Good point!!!
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:52 am

Drakestar wrote:
My son caught two 5 1/2 pounders back to back on a cheap two-piece Shimano spinning rod in fishing camp last summer (we have a good one here organized by hardcore bass anglers).
That's a good camp! =D>
Cal, Managing Editor

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:50 pm

Cal wrote:
zodiak311 wrote:
Funny you should say that, because that's what my dad did to me, no kidding, except that I'm the one who took the reel apart to begin with. He freaked out, then stopped short and asked if I thought I could put it back together. After that, I did all his reel maintenance......and he fished the Redman tourney trail back then.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:37 pm

:lol: :lol:
Cal, Managing Editor

new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by new2BC4bass » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:48 pm

I agree with several others. Catching fish in my area is tough. The only thing that keeps me going is the nicer gear I have gotten. It just gives me more pleasure during my time out. Sometimes I don't even care that I got skunked...............again. I still smiled throughout the day.

zalan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by zalan » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:24 am

It is specific to various technique. There are baits where you do not really need high sensitivity, just the right action which is possible even with the cheaper materials. Throwing a wake-bait with a cheaper setup will not lose you any potential bites. You will notice them. On the other hand, contact fishing with jigs and so where a good setup helps a lot.
If you can afford, you can fish everything with high-end stuff, there is nothing wrong with that as long as you are realistic about your financial situation. If you are on the budget, you can still be an extremely successful fisherman and enjoy the process as well. I have some high-end stuff and I have some cheaper stuff as well which I absolutely love. Just need to find what works for you.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:16 am

zalan wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:24 am
It is specific to various technique. There are baits where you do not really need high sensitivity, just the right action which is possible even with the cheaper materials. Throwing a wake-bait with a cheaper setup will not lose you any potential bites. You will notice them. On the other hand, contact fishing with jigs and so where a good setup helps a lot.
If you can afford, you can fish everything with high-end stuff, there is nothing wrong with that as long as you are realistic about your financial situation. If you are on the budget, you can still be an extremely successful fisherman and enjoy the process as well. I have some high-end stuff and I have some cheaper stuff as well which I absolutely love. Just need to find what works for you.
There’s nothing worse that having to tell the wife you went over the budget.
I agree man, have to be realistic and stay within budget. But you can buy good, better , best and JDM for somewhat discounted prices. I remember NOT knowing that information. It does help you extend your reach a bit
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

fishonsc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fishonsc » Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:52 am

My buddy refused to buy high end gear. He said over and over it was a waste of money. Until he went crappie fishing with me and I caught fish after fish. He was catching nothing. That cheap ugly stick could not detect the light bite that day. He strated using one of my G loomis rods and was amazed. Now his wife does not like me to much. Lol.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:32 am

LgMouthGambler wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:05 am
I recently sold off a few high end reels that I just loved, but would never use them for whatever reason. However, I have always wanted to get a newer Conquest, so I figured I got the extra coin now, so why not. :lol: Its a viscous cycle. :doh:
I’m in the exact same place! :laugh1:

G40
Angler
Angler

Post by G40 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:12 am

When it comes to Enthusiast Tackle, Most people try to rationalize the price of getting into it, rather than the benefit of staying into it.
I adopt a "Buy & Try" concept, after a year or 2 of testing it out. I sell it off and buy something new. This makes the jump into buying something new less punishing on the wallet. Rare/ High end gear maintains it's value longer.
Also, I have engaged in trades for high end gear, which gives you the opportunity to try 2 high end items for the price of 1. :big grin:

eklikewhoa
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by eklikewhoa » Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:48 pm

For me I'm all over the place, it's not so much the price tag but if it fits my likes and wants. I've fished both ends of the spectrum and enjoy it all but I am more careless with the cheap set ups.

Also I think this is why I'm addicted to the Pixy platform, they're usually well priced initially and all the upgrades that happen after are well, after the fact hahaha.