Catfishing

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Catfishing

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:30 am

Just a basic, can you help me get started thread. I fish decent tackle, mainly for bass and other sport fish, but would like to try catfishing at our local river.

What should I use for rod/reel? What rig? Line? I just have no idea how to start...

hotdogin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Catfishing

Post by hotdogin » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:37 pm

A chair, sixer of your favorite beer, chicken liver, and a cheap Ugly Stick combo will get the job done. Oh don't forget a good buddy for company.

What kind of cats are you going after? My lake has channel cats so the above suggestion will get you by just fine. If you're looking to seriously target them then definitely consider the type you're going after and the average depth & current of the river will also be a big factor for the gear needed.
just hotdogin it

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:24 pm

OOOOhhhh... actual catfish... i was about to suggest just go steal someone else's photo like everyone else... 🤪😂
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:59 pm

I’ve caught 2 channel cats on 4” power worms, 1 channel cat on an Evergreen One’s Bug and 1 channel cat on an O.S.P. Blitz Max. All were about the same size, 2lbs or so. The hard baits were topwater/shallow cranks.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:38 am

Just wanting to test the local river for them... I caught a big flat head on accident (jig) that permanently scarred my thumb, so I know they are there. Just do not know where to start fishing for them.

I would maybe like to build one nice setup for catfishing, wish so bad I had bought one of those Ryoga Shrapnel whatevers when TW had them for like $200. I just don't even know what baits to throw and try to see if they are there...

hotdogin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hotdogin » Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:52 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:38 am
Just wanting to test the local river for them... I caught a big flat head on accident (jig) that permanently scarred my thumb, so I know they are there. Just do not know where to start fishing for them.

I would maybe like to build one nice setup for catfishing, wish so bad I had bought one of those Ryoga Shrapnel whatevers when TW had them for like $200. I just don't even know what baits to throw and try to see if they are there...
As far as what to throw at em to consistently catch them is kinda tricky. I've caught them on fire tiger cranks and even tiny jig heads w/ a smaller trailer. Growing up I always some kind of stinky dough bait, night crawlers, chicken livers, or even live shad on the bottom.
just hotdogin it

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:57 am

If you are going for flathead they love live bait. If you can get big live shad that is probably best but live bluegill work great to. Fresh cut bait will work but live is always best for the flatheads while fresh cut bait works just as well and sometimes a little better for big channel cats. If you are going for channel cats just any MH bass setup works great even for the trophy teen size channel cats. A deep diving crankbait rod is the perfect channel cat rod and better than any catfish specific rod.

For flatheads there are good flathead specific rods. Tangling with catfish is a good fiberglass rod and there are other similar ones. Any big swimbait bass rod will also do the trick and be fancier. My big catfish reel of choice is a Penn Fathom 12. Your small saltwater reels like that or a small Saltiga work great. Again any swimbait reel will also work well. A Calcutta 300 or 400 is considered the cadilac of Flathead reels of course similar stuff like a Ryoga or Ryoga Shrapnel also will do the trick. If you have a big swimbait setup it should work perfectly as is for an ultimate flathead setup. Although some guys like a bait clicker and you might need a different reel for that.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:16 am

hungry_cow wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:57 am
If you are going for flathead they love live bait. If you can get big live shad that is probably best but live bluegill work great to. Fresh cut bait will work but live is always best for the flatheads while fresh cut bait works just as well and sometimes a little better for big channel cats. If you are going for channel cats just any MH bass setup works great even for the trophy teen size channel cats. A deep diving crankbait rod is the perfect channel cat rod and better than any catfish specific rod.

For flatheads there are good flathead specific rods. Tangling with catfish is a good fiberglass rod and there are other similar ones. Any big swimbait bass rod will also do the trick and be fancier. My big catfish reel of choice is a Penn Fathom 12. Your small saltwater reels like that or a small Saltiga work great. Again any swimbait reel will also work well. A Calcutta 300 or 400 is considered the cadilac of Flathead reels of course similar stuff like a Ryoga or Ryoga Shrapnel also will do the trick. If you have a big swimbait setup it should work perfectly as is for an ultimate flathead setup. Although some guys like a bait clicker and you might need a different reel for that.
^^This is sound advice.^^
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:40 am

Flatheads???
Be a man and do some noodlin’! 8-)

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:19 pm

Johnny A wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:40 am
Flatheads???
Be a man and do some noodlin’! 8-)
My dad and I still do that on occasion. Haven't been this year yet, sadly.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:19 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:30 am

What should I use for rod/reel? What rig? Line? I just have no idea how to start...
Nothing special...Steez CT SV, YT Fusion Micro Bearings, VARIVAS Monster PE Si-X VAMOS PE 2, Designo Leban ML/MH Spiral Tuned by Kimaya, Megabass I-Wing Fry.
That should get the job done. This is TT right?
rsz_1rsz_img_4671.jpg
rsz_1rsz_img_4671.jpg (79.83 KiB) Viewed 6941 times
and with a Noike Kaishin Blade, possibly the only chatter better than a Jackhammer..
rsz_1img_4754.jpg
rsz_1img_4754.jpg (81 KiB) Viewed 6928 times

mrpao
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mrpao » Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:46 pm

Do yourself a favor and don't buy any of those cheap fiberglass catfish rods.
I don't know why people and manufacturers think everyone wants fiberglass for catfishing. I find it more fun to use inshore tackle instead. Get a few nice inshore rods and reels. It will make the fight more fun.
My catfish tackle consists mainly of inshore spinning rods and baitrunner type reels. They don't have to be expensive but the graphite rods will be more sensitive and responsive.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:59 pm

Aquaftm45 wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:19 pm
DirtyD64 wrote:

Nothing special...Steez CT SV, YT Fusion Micro Bearings, VARIVAS Monster PE Si-X VAMOS PE 2, Designo Leban ML/MH Spiral Tuned by Kimaya, Megabass I-Wing Fry.
That should get the job done. This is TT right?
rsz_1rsz_img_4671.jpg

and with a Noike Kaishin Blade, possibly the only chatter better than a Jackhammer..
rsz_1img_4754.jpg

=D>
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Markanthony404
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Markanthony404 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:13 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Just a basic, can you help me get started thread. I fish decent tackle, mainly for bass and other sport fish, but would like to try catfishing at our local river.

St Croix Mojo Catfish rods are the best on the market but are pricy. I use the Ugly Stik Elite Salmon/Steelhead casting rods. 8'6 Extra heavy, they cost 69.99. I also use a shimano calcutta 400 reel with 65lb braid with a 50 lb mono leader. I fish for giant flatheads on the Ohio river in Pa. You can find some other great rods & reels, just do some research. The best tip I can will give you is do not under any circumstances buy any of the retail store catfish bait. IT'S ALL TERIBLE. Use live bait or fresh cut bait like worms, shiners, bluegill, shad or chicken liver. More big cats are caught with bluegill than anything else.

G40
Angler
Angler

Post by G40 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:01 pm

Drop a live Bluegill under a big bobber at Night, You'll be surprised how shallow and aggressive giant cats feed at night. ;)
If you don't want to use live bait, hotdog is the deal.