Kayak anglers: Which inflatable PFD?

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Kayak anglers: Which inflatable PFD?

Post by freelancer27 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:08 pm

Hi all, 

I am in the market for a quality inflatable PFD and would like to get some feedback from people that have been using these, since I am not seeing enough reviews online.

What I am looking for:

* Light and comfortable inflatable PFD (I am 6'3, 220 #)

* Automatic activation when and only when getting submerged and not in rain or when I get wet from waves, etc.
* A pocket for my keys/ phone would be a nice to have
* No price limit (safety is absolutely important to me/wife)

Options that I am looking at:

* Mustang: https://mustangsurvival.com/collections ... -md3184-02
* Onyx: https://www.hodgesmarine.com/ony133600- ... fgQAvD_BwE

Thanks for your feedback and advice!

MeatHead
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Kayak anglers: Which inflatable PFD?

Post by MeatHead » Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:09 pm

I cant speak for the H.I.T, but I have a Mustang M.I.T pfd I use and love it. Very comfortable (even in the middle of summer in Louisiana) and lightweight, I usually forget I'm even wearing it while pedalling and fishing. Only downside is it doesn't have any pockets.
I've heard good things about the Onyx vests as well from people that use them in my local clubs but no personal experience with those.

filthyPhil
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by filthyPhil » Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:24 pm

I have used the Onyx for over a year. Mine doesn't have a pocket but does have a ring on the front. I haven't had any issues. I've not had it deploy from rain or waves. I actually prefer the BPS mid range zip up once the water hits 60, just my personal preference for if I have to take a sudden swim in the winter.

Sterfry26
Angler
Angler

Post by Sterfry26 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:38 pm

I use the onyx one and have never had any issues. It has never deployed erroneously and is super comfy. It is missing some pockets and loops which some people may like. I don't like anything dangling around my chest so it is no big deal for me. I would suggest trying out an NRS Chinook comfort wise and seeing if that would be something you'd wear. They are objectively safer as you don't need to deploy them if they don't auto deploy.