Ebay prices

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Ebay prices

Post by Finnz922 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:03 pm

I have been out of the used game for a few years. What is going on with ebay prices? Seems stupidly high on a ton of different items ranging across all brands. Did I miss something?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Ebay prices

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:52 pm

Finnz922 wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:03 pm
I have been out of the used game for a few years. What is going on with ebay prices? Seems stupidly high on a ton of different items ranging across all brands. Did I miss something?
The sellers are taking advantage of the pandemic, trying to put more $ in their pockets. People are at home and buying more stuff more often. Looks like the demand increase has caused a corresponding price increase.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:14 am

Some of the sellers have raised their prices to reflect demand as hoohoorjoo said, however, there are some other sellers who have stuff listed for double or triple what the item is worth, even with the increased prices reflecting the higher demand. One example I can think of is a few OG ZPI spools listed for $250 USD or something like that. Nothing special about them, no box or paperwork, no extra bearing, just a run of the mill NRC002 or 001. I'm sure in ten or fifteen years when those items are legitimately rare and hard to come by, the prices will accurately reflect that but I don't think we're there yet.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:55 am

When browsing my favorite online tackle shops, I have noticed a lot of stuff is back ordered. This creates more demand for someone who wants something and is unwilling to wait. Ebay sellers are taking advantage of this I believe. Why wouldn't they? We all want top dollar for whatever it is we are selling.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:09 pm

Prices are high but sometimes you can find a deal if your patient and what I have been doing is messaging the seller to make a realistic offer. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t but the one that do will reduce it the price even more.
I just got a set of pink slp knobs and a zpi rc002rr for substantially less than advertised.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Sterfry26
Angler
Angler

Post by Sterfry26 » Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:47 am

Certain things in the fishing industry right now is like printing money. Some almost immediately sell out as soon as they come in. People who are opportunistic see a chance and will take it. It is the same thing that is happening with GPU's in computers right now. Hopefully, stocks go back up soon and this self regulates.

eagleriver1_fish
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by eagleriver1_fish » Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:16 am

Agree with others most is supply & demand; fewer new products available equals fewer new purchases equals fewer used items listed on ebay. Honestly I've never seen so few good fishing items up for sale.

There is a level of foolishness as well. I see used items like reels bid higher than one could easily purchase new at a number of sites. When TW had Stradics on sale for about $170 and ALFC for around $160 there were older used Stradics were going for over $200 at auction on ebay. Look at a lot of the bidders on these high priced items and you'll see they have very little activity and are relatively new. Some guys get in a pissing contests too and it only takes two people determined to "win" at any cost to cause ludicrous results.

Another issue has become the fees + shipping + sales taxes (this is a more recent addition). If I bought new rod for $400 used it for a couple years and feel it is worth $300 (price someone is willing to pay) I have to pay about $35 for shipping (tube & Insurance), $40 in ebay fees, and the buyer will pay about $25 for sales tax (AZ is a high sales tax state) which means they will only pay $275 ($300 w/tax). So my net revenue for the "$300" rod is about $200 or half what I originally paid for it. This doesn't make it attractive for sellers.

Bottom Line: I am very thankful for websites like TT and the members for providing a great avenue to buy and sell used equipment.