Spool pin remover - Best you've used?

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Spool pin remover - Best you've used?

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:54 pm

As the title states, what's your preferred tool of choice, and why?

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Spool pin remover - Best you've used?

Post by Dalleinf » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:49 pm

I have maybe 10 spool pin removers from hedgehog, boca, and various DIY/Aliexpress. Best spool remover for me is SLP works spool BB remover II - works with “all” spool sizes and with little risk of damaging the spool.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:41 am

My Boca pliers are still working fine for me. I figure dont mess with success
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:12 pm

Thanks guys

eklikewhoa
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by eklikewhoa » Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:41 pm

Used just about all... SLP is the best.

Got big reels, look up breakingbadtools on Instagram

eklikewhoa
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by eklikewhoa » Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:42 pm

A lot of the lightweight spools can get damaged on the lip by normal screw type pin tools and plier/Boca type can bend the shaft

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:17 pm

eklikewhoa wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:42 pm
A lot of the lightweight spools can get damaged on the lip by normal screw type pin tools and plier/Boca type can bend the shaft
I have managed lip damage on <34mm spools with non-SLP screw type and shaft damage with Boca... Maybe I am clumsy but no issues with slp tool.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:26 pm

Anyone have the Reel Speed spool pin pliers? I've heard these are great, but good luck finding one.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:41 pm

I have not tried them. Had to Google “ReelSpeed Spool Shaft Pin Removal Pliers” and find reelspeedsouth - they sure look a lot like the Boca pliers.
Pliers apparently great for people with more handyman skills than me. I can work with pliers but have done damage with pliers.
SLP is most expensive but allows you to work very slowly and very controlled if so needed.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:37 pm

Dalleinf wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:41 pm
I have not tired them. Had to Google “ReelSpeed Spool Shaft Pin Removal Pliers” and find reelspeedsouth - they sure look a lot like the Boca pliers.
Pliers apparently great for people with more handyman skills than me. I can work with pliers but have done damage with pliers.
SLP is most expensive but allows you to work very slowly and very controlled if so needed.
Yeah, I'll probably pick up the latest Slp version. I've had bad luck with scratching spool lips with these styles.

tincanary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tincanary » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:33 pm

I have the Reelspeed pliers and love them, but I don't think Aaron makes them any longer. I hear the Boca pliers are nice as well but I have no experience with them.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:10 pm

I've asked Akira from HH to slightly redesign the original concept within regards to 2 size (length and thickness / hardness) pin pishers and the length of the thread that on the points as to remain in the body of the aluminium in full contact while in use.

No reply... Have gone through 2 thus far and now am pushing the pin through with a modified pair of pliers and then doing the rest with the pin pusher. Also ensuring that there's some lube on the pin and hole before pushing and while reinstalling as stainless steel on stainless can molecularly bond / cold weld...

Tony9
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tony9 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:23 am

Get the SLP.

I posted this from 2016
http://tackletour.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=71248

78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 78Staff » Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:02 am

I bought the Boca pliers first - they work but that last second pop always has me fearing damaging the shaft or spool, and I never use them anymore. I have both versions of the hedgehog and they both work fine. The SLP looks nice but really don't want/need to spend another $60 or so when i have 3 now lol...

Of course I've been wanting to order a SLP Driver no 4 for a while now, but $70 for a screwdriver...dang. Maybe I will just bite the bullet and grab both. If I amortize the cost across my all my Daiwa's it would only work out to a few dollars a reel :lol:

tincanary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tincanary » Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:21 am

78Staff wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:02 am
Of course I've been wanting to order a SLP Driver no 4 for a while now, but $70 for a screwdriver...dang. Maybe I will just bite the bullet and grab both. If I amortize the cost across my all my Daiwa's it would only work out to a few dollars a reel :lol:
Try a Wiha 4mm, fits the Daiwa screws perfectly and costs less than $10, made in Germany. I toyed around with getting the SLP No. 4 but couldn't bring myself to spend that kind of coin on a single screwdriver.