EWG hooks

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

EWG hooks

Post by goldrod » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:10 am

I can’t believe how many hooks I have still in the package in the garage. It really is a testament to my personal growth and addiction. As I was contemplating a conversation I had with Mr. Vald on JDM vs. USDM plastics and real effectiveness I went to my hooks stashes in the closet , garage and the boat. I guess many would argue the Grammy 4/0 ewg as one of the more popular hooks but after trying a variety of hooks I’m still a fan of the owner wide gap plus. I can be honest in that the mustad kvd grip pin hooks I really have not given a good chance before retiring. The tokar are good but man they tare up plastics. Much like the tokar hayabusa are good but have that point that rips through the plastics. I’ve since ventured to their heavy duty version yet I have an order of owners jungle ewg hook and can’t wait to see how they perform.

When I put all the brands I have, one on top of the other the differences in angles, gaps and sizes ( though they are all the same sizes when compared to one another it is easy seen that one 4/0 is bigger and or smaller than others ).
Some of the hooks simply sucked at pitching but excelled for pinning fish at the end of a long cast and Vice versa.

I’m interested to know your best and worst hookup ratio from the different EWG hooks out? Thanks in advance
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: EWG hooks

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:23 pm

I like the Mustad Ultrapoint and VMC bigger/heavier hooks and the Fusion19 line for finesse hooks. I hate Trokars. They tear up plastics like you said and worse yet they cut such huge holes in fishes' mouths that you lose more fish. Might as well be fishing a barbless hook.

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:19 am

I don't like any cutting point hooks for the same reason. Especially with smallmouth jumping at the boat. Lost many fish when I tried a Trokar jig hook with Keitechs. The fish I landed had Dime sized holes cut in their mouths.

I'm starting to like some of the worm/ewg blends from Japan. Most times I don't need such large gaps and the presentation of the bait is much more natural.

I'm a big Hyabusa fan. The 262 and 956 are great for upto #15 and I'll jump the the 959 with #20.

Look at the Ryugi Limit offset hook for the great worm/ewg blend. May replace the 262 for me but it runs small. They run small like Hayabusa.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed May 26, 2021 11:07 am

Just received a package of the owner 3/0 jungle ewg hook.
I have the 4/0 but it seems like a 5/0
Just by eyeing it. Haven’t used either yet
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed May 26, 2021 4:19 pm

I dont use EWG hooks at all. My hook up ratio went way down when I started using them, so it went back to round bend, offset shank hooks. I hardly ever miss a fish now.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Wed May 26, 2021 5:16 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 4:19 pm
I dont use EWG hooks at all. My hook up ratio went way down when I started using them, so it went back to round bend, offset shank hooks. I hardly ever miss a fish now.
Similar.. the only time I use the wide gap style hooks is when fishing soft bodied swimbaits like paddletails. Otherwise, it's light wire, straight shank for me.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Wed May 26, 2021 6:27 pm

With a 5" Senko, for reasons I cannot figure out, a 3/0 or 4/0 Gammie EWG gives by far the most consistent hooks sets for me. I keep trying to make Owner Twistlocks to work, but I end up missing so many bass with them compared to the Gammie EWGs.

amso4
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by amso4 » Wed May 26, 2021 7:08 pm

I also use only strait shank and round bend worm hooks. When rigging a finesse worm, i don't go through the middle, I just catch enough of the side of the worm to hide the point. This way the hook has little meat of the worm to cut through and I get a much better hook up ratio that going into the middle of the worm. FWIW.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Thu May 27, 2021 8:38 am

Love that Owner Wide Gap Plus hook too man! Best fluke hook made. I even use the regular Owner Wide Gap hooks for punching. Extremely weedless and sits up to the body like a regular punch hook. Never miss bites or lose fish on those.

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:55 pm

Houndfish wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 6:27 pm
With a 5" Senko, for reasons I cannot figure out, a 3/0 or 4/0 Gammie EWG gives by far the most consistent hooks sets for me. I keep trying to make Owner Twistlocks to work, but I end up missing so many bass with them compared to the Gammie EWGs.
This is me! I've tried the twist locks and cannot hook a fish for the life of me. But using a Gammy EWG is very effective and very few fish don't get hooked.

I like the Trokar dropshot hook--that thing is amazing...I've never lost a fish using this hook, and I don't see the big hook holes that you guys mention.

Roboworm Rebarb hooks are also fantastic for me--I love these things and I should probably start fishing heavier duty hooks with similar design...