Looking for a quality snap.

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Looking for a quality snap.

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Wed May 05, 2021 8:51 am

Just for some further reference. I use two brands of #25. The Tactical Angler are very small and the Power Clips are slightly bigger. Between these two, I cover all bass applications under 1oz baits. The black clip is a #50 Power Clip and perfect for bigger baits. I have these pike rigs made up with #50 clip to #30 Knot too Kinky to a #80 spro swivel. It is the slickest pike leader I've seen using zero tools. Not to get off topic but you can tie a 3 turn clinch knot with the titanium wire. Just watch the tag ends!

Here is the #50 and #25 on a 95mm Jerk Bait
IMG_20210505_22628.jpg
IMG_20210505_22628.jpg (14.78 KiB) Viewed 4969 times
IMG_20210505_34309.jpg
IMG_20210505_34309.jpg (53.79 KiB) Viewed 4969 times
IMG_20210505_7328.jpg
IMG_20210505_7328.jpg (28.07 KiB) Viewed 4969 times
IMG_20210505_40779.jpg
IMG_20210505_40779.jpg (34.74 KiB) Viewed 4969 times

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Wed May 05, 2021 9:08 am

I also find other baits to throw with them. For instance, I no longer buy spinnerbaits over three quarters of an ounce that don't have a twisted line tie. This allows me to use the clips and run a quick pike leader if needed.
IMG_20210505_8888.jpg
IMG_20210505_8888.jpg (46.12 KiB) Viewed 4968 times
I will say, on some popper, it can chip the paint but unless it is a Megapass Sp-c color I don't really worry about it. Some baits can be taught to get on the line tie. On those baits, I'll leave the stock split ring on the bait and clip to it. Otherwise, none of my baits have split ring ties.

I hope you enjoy.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed May 05, 2021 4:49 pm

GOOD YEAR 71 wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 11:34 pm
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:45 pm
GOOD YEAR 71 wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:56 pm
The 25 are smaller than you think. What has been written is true. More reliable because they can't open and easier to use because you don't have to open them. It's a win/win. Snaps are outdated technology. I figure only reason these aren't more popular here is because they are not JDM which means nothing. They are better than snaps. Way better.
How well do they accommodate smaller hardbaits, such as poppers, etc, where it's difficult to hook up a small snap? Snaps aren't outdated, you will still find them in most every anglers boxes and bags. And yes, you can even purchase JDM snaps.
Apologies man, been a minute since I been on. Answer for poppers is well. The only difficulty I've had is with deep recessed ties where you can't slide it in place. Save for that, I'll use them on pretty much anything including cranks and jerkbaits and spinnerbaits sometimes. In this case I simply place a band of heat shrink just outside line tie to create a barrier of sorts and let it rip. Works like a charm. If I throw a spinnerbait, which is fairly rare for me, but my point here is I go to the extreme of finding a way to incorporate even on a bait that is not naturally capable of use. I make it capable. The 25 are still rather new to market and indeed quite small. Sometimes too small. But between 25, 50, 75, you can throw pretty much anything you got. Blame TT for my habits here, this place did the review. And since I had previously given up on snaps I figured nothing to lose. So I tried. Game changer. Reliable. Fast. And for those few baits I can't use them I simply don't use that bait. Easy solution. And, sorry, it remains my contention snaps are indeed outdated in comparison. Side by side it's not a fair fight. Most anglers still hold cheap mono, too. It works, but it typically does not work as well and is outdated in comparison. Snaps open and fail. These can't and don't.
I fish small top water baits, often with concaved line ties/split rings. A snap is smaller, thinner, and the only reason I can see to use this glorified paper clip is because I'm simply too lazy to open and close a snap. If these weren't as thick, maybe. Even the TT review stated that they are difficult to work with. Oh, and that review was written nearly 10 years ago. Outdated... Lol.
Really I'm just try to ruffle your feathers. To each his own brother.

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Wed May 05, 2021 8:17 pm

I tried haha

If you must have a snap. The best I tried is the Decoy W. If think you can see why I like it.
IMG_20210505_17656.jpg
IMG_20210505_17656.jpg (24.56 KiB) Viewed 4950 times

GOOD YEAR 71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GOOD YEAR 71 » Wed May 05, 2021 10:10 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 4:49 pm
We're good you and me. Good point on timeline and I understand and agree with you on the size thing. Spot on. But that's where the new 25 comes in which was the first sentence I wrote. It's smaller than you think. Half the size of 50 which used to be the smallest available. Glorified paper clip, that's a good one lol. Peace.
PEACE

Handler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Handler » Thu May 06, 2021 10:21 pm

I would bet I've tried more snaps than anyone. My favorite are Owner Hyper Wire. They are smooth welded, which eliminates many of the bends and hangups on the water. They aren't cheap, but better than any I've seen. Zero knockoffs of this style. For everyday, I tried maybe 20 varieties on aliexpress to find something that's as small as I can easily use with a good round business end and minimal hangup potential.

Now I'm thinking of trying some clips.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu May 06, 2021 10:22 pm

GOOD YEAR 71 wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 10:10 pm
Hogsticker2 wrote:
We're good you and me. Good point on timeline and I understand and agree with you on the size thing. Spot on. But that's where the new 25 comes in which was the first sentence I wrote. It's smaller than you think. Half the size of 50 which used to be the smallest available. Glorified paper clip, that's a good one lol. Peace.
I read a few reviews that state these are sometimes rough and jagged, resulting in braid fraying. Any truth to this? I ordered a package. Not sure why. I'll probably throw them away ;)

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu May 06, 2021 10:29 pm

Handler wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 10:21 pm
I would bet I've tried more snaps than anyone. My favorite are Owner Hyper Wire. They are smooth welded, which eliminates many of the bends and hangups on the water. They aren't cheap, but better than any I've seen. Zero knockoffs of this style. For everyday, I tried maybe 20 varieties on aliexpress to find something that's as small as I can easily use with a good round business end and minimal hangup potential.

Now I'm thinking of trying some clips.
Pricey. Not some you really have to worry about losing often though. I might try some.

Handler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Handler » Sun May 09, 2021 9:27 pm

I don't use the Owner Hyper wires anymore as they are pricey, but the style of VMC Crankbait Snaps and tacklewarehouse are my 2nd favs. I'm sure the VMC's are great, but you can find similar on Aliexpress for next to nothing. If you do go that root, you may need to try a few to find the best for your application as size, wire gauge and openablity vary and there are subtle variations in the shapes and bends that can reduce weed blobs. I've found anything in this style smaller than 10mm is useless and impossible to open. 10mm-12mm is good for me and plenty strong.

Of course, this is all a lot of work, so I tried maybe 10-15 variations picked the best and bought a lifetime supply for about $6. Now of course I'm finding out about the clips...f***.

GOOD YEAR 71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GOOD YEAR 71 » Fri May 14, 2021 12:30 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 10:22 pm
GOOD YEAR 71 wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 10:10 pm
Hogsticker2 wrote:
I read a few reviews that state these are sometimes rough and jagged, resulting in braid fraying. Any truth to this? I ordered a package. Not sure why. I'll probably throw them away ;)
Interesting. And no I haven't. There is in fact an 'end' to structure, but only way I might see fray is if tying a loop onto it which is pointless. It's free floating already, makes no sense. Tie on tight, you got no problem. I get the complaint though, braid can slip upon, I understand the concern here. But I've personally never had issue with it unless I got super lazy with re-ties. Guilty by the way with heavier braid. From time to time. But the clip is for fast switching, not to ignore tying. Big difference. And if you ignore the knot, braid will eventually slip, no different than on a hook eye, and can indeed find itself in position to fray. But that is negligence at that point. If it gets that far it's obvious to see, the fix is simple, tie a new knot. Nothing to worry about.
PEACE

TravisNY
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TravisNY » Sat May 22, 2021 4:57 pm

Zero issues with the Gammy G Finesse.
Team flannel, overtime and promotion.

Elpablo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Elpablo » Mon May 24, 2021 7:37 am

Decoy snaps
ADS Fishing Concept. Fishing tour operator for South America.

FamKench
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by FamKench » Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:07 am

I use kahara. #000 for my spinning setups and #0 for baitcasting. Only time they have failed me is when I catch a pike through thick weeds and it alligator rolls with weeds stuck on it. The failure is usually due to the twisting motion applied to the snap imparted by the fish while the lure or line has leverage wrapped in the weeds

I no longer use snaps when fishing through thick vegetation. But for sparse weeds and cranking the ease can't be beat.

Shadowcaster1969
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Shadowcaster1969 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:41 pm

I have been using Decoy and Kahara snaps for years but only for the lightest type of fishing like BFS or light freshwater. When I'm fishing anything heavier in freshwater and especially for light saltwater, I use a split-ring or tie a loop knot directly to the lure. I've lost enough good fish due to snapped-snaps, even the best quality ones like Decoy and Kahara to convince myself that snaps are indeed the weakest link in the whole tackle chain.

Afterall, they are not call "snap" for no reason... :lol:

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:12 pm

Saw the 25 size Tactical Angler clips in the clearance aisle of a WallyWorld - $2.00 for a 10 pack, grabbed 5 packs. Good concept, I’m intrigued. The fall bite is getting on here, I’ll post a review.